• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of the Alps 2024 (April 15 - 19)

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
no, he hit a wide curb that he saw too late, same as O'Connor did
I have to see it again, but I thought Harper hit a bump, lost his back wheel (into the air), thus lost control going to the outside of the curve and then hit the curb / crash hard on his right (hard enough to hurt / break something in his shoulder / collarbone) and hit his head hard but hopefully the helmet took that hit, and next slid down until his head touched the lamp post at relatively low speed. So worst case a concussion + broken bones (+ for sure skin peeled off), best case no concussion and no broken bones and just skin lost.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I have to see it again, but I thought Harper hit a bump, lost his back wheel (into the air), thus lost control going to the outside of the curve and then hit the curb / crash hard on his right (hard enough to hurt / break something in his shoulder / collarbone) and hit his head hard but hopefully the helmet took that hit, and next slid down until his head touched the lamp post at relatively low speed. So worst case a concussion + broken bones (+ for sure skin peeled off), best case no concussion and no broken bones and just skin lost.
Yep, seemed like the Basque Country crash, but here pavement even shittier, hit a bump and went airborne, lost control. Announcer says the road book mentioned that this curve had bad road

Why is Foss expected to get over two Cat 1s with the leaders???
A former world TT champ
Because he himself believed he could win the TDF in the future and wanted to become a GC rider for the GT's regardless. He was also sent to the Giro in 2021 as a GC rider. So him being able to stay with the Parets-Peintres, Sosas and Lopez's in the Tour of the Alps, would be quite normal for someone who has those expectations of himself.
It is also possible to be a good TT'er (especially in hilly TT's) and a good GC rider.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Because he himself believed he could win the TDF in the future and wanted to become a GC rider for the GT's regardless. He was also sent to the Giro in 2021 as a GC rider. So him being able to stay with the Parets-Peintres, Sosas and Lopez's in the Tour of the Alps, would be quite normal for someone who has those expectations of himself.
It is also possible to be a good TT'er (especially in hilly TT's) and a good GC rider.
Well, Froome himself believes tour #5 is just around the corner too. Doesn't mean anyone else should.
And I dont think its like he's shown anything to suggest it. I don't know how he won Avenir, but its not like he did anything special there in mountains.

And I dont think its like he's shown anything to suggest it. I don't know how he won Avenir, but its not like he did anything special there in mountains.
Foss was top 10 in the Giro 21, so he has proven that he can do pretty well in his best moments. The way he rode on stage 1 and 3 he looked to be close to his best. It's not like this field is extremely strong and that it should be completely out of reach to keep up with these guys. If Foss was replicating his climbing form from the Giro21 I think he would be in that group or come back when they stopped riding. Not losing more than 7 minutes. He won Avenir by being consistent, that consistency has been nowhere after the Giro 2021.