• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Transfers and Rumours 2015 > 2016

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
FWIW, British Cycling don't actually have a dedicated road development program, it's basically intertwined with the Endurance Program within the Olympic Academy Programme. i.e. you would need to be an enduirance track rider to progress a road career really like Wiggins, Kennagh, Thomas, Rowe etc. British Cycling from a performance viewpoint, don't separate road and endurance track - they are both an endurance discipline with similar demands to them. I think this is a large reason for Wiggins Team as it bridges British Cycling to Team Sky/Pro Tour without having to exit a British Cycling set-up.

Podium Programme - Olympic Squad
Academy Programme - 18-23 years
Development Programme - 14-16 years regional setup
Development Apprentices - 14-16 years talent spotting basically
Paralympic Team - Olympic Squad

Re: Re:

BigMac said:
TMP402 said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tea...-kwiatkowski-peters-geoghegan-hart-and-moscon

"Cyclingnews also understands that both Mikel Landa and Michal Kwiatkowski will also join Team Sky for next year, despite contradicting reports in the media."

"Alex Peters is certain to join the team for next year"

Tao Geoghan Hart and Gianni Moscon are also certain to join, but CN is not sure whether as stagaires or full time pros yet.

I wanted Tao to come WT but would prefer Garmin or Giant. Oh well.
With Kwiatowski apparently joining Sky, Ettix need a rider who can compete for the win in the Ardennes Classics if Alaphilipe crashes out like Alaphilipe was supposed to be for Kwiato. The reason that Tao could fill this spot is as he has won or come third in the U23 LBL.

However it probably wont happen. As you say Garmin or Giant would be good for him but not Sky.

Re:

samhocking said:
Any rumours on Chavanel. Not renewing with IAM, so could go anywhere, but not a great Tour for him, although not sure how much stage winning attempts he was allowed. Top 50 still, but lots of stronger French riders at the moment for him, so assuming it won't be French team.

Maybe Bretagne Seché with two new sponsors will want to hire Chavanel.

afpm90 said:
samhocking said:
Any rumours on Chavanel. Not renewing with IAM, so could go anywhere, but not a great Tour for him, although not sure how much stage winning attempts he was allowed. Top 50 still, but lots of stronger French riders at the moment for him, so assuming it won't be French team.

Maybe Bretagne Seché with two new sponsors will want to hire Chavanel.

IMO he would be perfect in a role of road captain for young guns such as Pinot or Bardet, as he could help them to calm down their nerves in the key moments. But this is pure speculation of course.

samhocking said:
I hope you including Dan Martin in that list of 8, and excluding Chris Froome?
Neither of them went through British Cycling Development at all. Dan Martin raced for Ireland before turning Pro and Froome raced for Kenya until Sky contract.

The following riders were members of the BC academy who rode the tour:
Kennaugh, Rowe, Stannard, Martin (former british junior RR champion), S Yates, Cav, Dowsett, Thomas. A big reason why Dan Martin switched to Ireland was he was 60kg and useless in the Team Pursuit.

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Re:

samhocking said:

The word is that FDJ was trying to convince him to join them (his brother is already there), but there is quite a gap between them about the financial situation.

That correct, I totally forgot Dan Martin started at BC in the first wave of riders alongside Cavendish and all. He just kind of fell into British Cycling when the Track development side had started, but the whole Tuscany base for those interested in the road was probably 1-2 years later. He would have been twiddling his thumbs wasting a year of his career or getting his head kicked in as a pursuiter. He had connections through Roche in France though, so I think it worked out well for him being a climber in the end and racing for Ireland instead really.

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Re:

samhocking said:
Times article from Brailsford also says that he's signed 'one of the world's most brilliant young riders'? Wondering if he's referring to Tao Geoghegan Hart?

He will sign Bob Jungels!
Luxemburgish newspapers said that he got offers from Etixx, BMC an SKY!!!

All the Dan Martin talk on the previous page is why it struck me as dubious he should be linked with Sky. I can't see why Sky would have him back unless he was prepared to do a Froome and change his passport, which at this point, quite apart from any emotional/publicity reasons, doesn't really open any doors for him. It would be the opposite of what Sciandri did.

Re:

samhocking said:
Times article from Brailsford also says that he's signed 'one of the world's most brilliant young riders'? Wondering if he's referring to Tao Geoghegan Hart?

I wonder what he describes as a young rider, as in eligible for the young riders classification so 25 and under? That could mean Sagan or Kwiatkowski who are still only 25. Or a really young rider so maybe 20 or 21.

Jeeer said:
samhocking said:

Jungels should sign with the Hotsteppers.
Instantaneous success in the core cobbles race methinks.

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site

Dazed and Confused said:
Jeeer said:
samhocking said:

Jungels should sign with the Hotsteppers.
Instantaneous success in the core cobbles race methinks.

I know that Lefèvre wanted to sign him a few years ago.
Even before he got his own Leopard team.
But Jungels wants to develop in major stage races

Re:

TMP402 said:
All the Dan Martin talk on the previous page is why it struck me as dubious he should be linked with Sky. I can't see why Sky would have him back unless he was prepared to do a Froome and change his passport, which at this point, quite apart from any emotional/publicity reasons, doesn't really open any doors for him. It would be the opposite of what Sciandri did.

Creating interest from Sky is a good bargaining tactic. Tell other teams they need to pony-up to compete.

If I was an agent all of my riders would be "talking to Sky".