• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TT course around Montpellier a disgrace

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:
One of the Dutch commentators, ex rider Maarten Ducrot, keeps insisting that with today's technology, they could "shoot' food and drink in containers directly at the rider.:D

I've heard him say that virtually every day. Incidentally, today he said he'd munch a piece of carpet (off the floor!) if Voeckler managed to stay out front. After the race they said that he would, that they'd film it, and post it tonight.

Mmmmm, like to get me some of that!

armpit-woman.jpg

A

Anonymous

blimey.. we still going on about this..

ive not been on today, but coming back, it feels like tuesday all over again.. :eek:

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Franklin said:
Rubbish. utter and complete rubbish.

Melchior Mauri Prat.
Abraham Olano.

And Alberto? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contador#Major_achievements

Note his first wins are... ITT's (and a 2001 ITT title not listed)

On a side note, Perico has beaten Eric breukink in 1988, Laurence Fignon in 1989 and Gregory Lemundo in 1990 in long, flat TT's, so he was at least "rather good" in the TT department...
http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/eta_tdf_1978_2005/tdf1988_21.php
http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/eta_tdf_1978_2005/tdf1989_5.php
http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/eta_tdf_1978_2005/tdf1990_7.php

I did forget Pedro Delgado, I thought he was from Columbia not spain. Now you are thinking every other race. I'm just talking Tour De France because that's the topic we are in.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
dadoorsron said:
I did forget Pedro Delgado, I thought he was from Columbia not spain. Now you are thinking every other race. I'm just talking Tour De France because that's the topic we are in.

You are moving goal posts, but sure. I give you...

Abraham Olano (tdf 1997 for example, but any year 1996-2000 is also "decent")

Mauri Prat 1995 was quite ok in the ITT^^

A

Anonymous

Snake8 said:
How do you get rid of IT!? Its like stepping in a fresh pile of dog sh!t mixed with gum.

I'll bet she'll be around awhile.......at least I think its a she?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
manmachine said:
Why? Because so many inept so-called professionals failed to do recon
and are horrible bike handlers? I s e e...:rolleyes:

The TTT was fantastic! Finally, a course that rewards bike handling skills
instead of just riding in a straight line that any trained monkey can do.
P l e a s e...give me a break. These primadonna's must give a big belly laugh to mountain bikers and motorcycle racers...:D

Pampered roadie 1 to pampered roadie 2- "They expect us to go around corners? On TT's bikes???" "Sacre Bleu! This is an outrage!"

It is great to watch some of the supposed pro riders implode when they are challenged by anything else other than a sprint or a climb. I've got some startling news for the whiners- pro cycling is way more than just being able to go fast and have endurance.

The best descenders and handlers are usually former MTB riders, because they actually understand cornering and the three basic tenants- Steering, Turning and Braking. Implementing these skills takes practice- something which is lost on the majority of the pro peloton.

Only a handful of road riders are good at descending and cornering, while the rest are either too scared or cannot be bothered to learn the acquired skills.

Once again the pampred roadie crowd...crying in their latte's about a course that's too hard....whah....whah....sniff....:rolleyes:

LOL.

GTFO you imbecile. Head over to the Downhill MTB or some other novelty "sport" forum where you can eat chips and crap on about "bike skillz"

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
Futuroscope said:
i don't think they should have team TTs in the Grand Tours.

C'mon dude. Page 12 of the thread and this is the best you can do? You gonna leave us hanging or are you going to explain that pearl?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
Nobody wants to see crashes and I'm sure the organizers knew exactly how difficult the course was and what the state of the road surfaces was. Clearly, the stretches with 'bad' surface were deliberately included to test the riders. I'd also like to point out that 11 of the 20 teams had at least one rider who fell. That means that nine teams did not fall, which brings me back to my contention that none of the 'better' riders (Menchov doesn't count here) fell, ergo the course was not too difficult.

I think the course was too difficult because most teams had at least 2 riders drop off the back.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Snake8 said:
C'mon dude. Page 12 of the thread and this is the best you can do? You gonna leave us hanging or are you going to explain that pearl?

yes thats my opinion and thats the best i can do as i havent read the whole thread.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Franklin said:
You are moving goal posts, but sure. I give you...

Abraham Olano (tdf 1997 for example, but any year 1996-2000 is also "decent")

Mauri Prat 1995 was quite ok in the ITT^^

I do agree with you on that. however, you are mentioning guys that are good enough to beat a great TT guy on certain days. Even a bad TT guy can beat a great tt Guy if its not his day. Look at 2004 when Ullrich beat lance because he got dehydrated. Even though Ullrich is one of the best tt guys ever in cycling. Lance in 05 passed him in the Opening tt. Passed Basso in the closing tt and he was his two minute man. I think we are spoiled because we have seen some of the greatest performances on tv in the last 20 years and never gotten to see the masters of old.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I think the course was too difficult because most teams had at least 2 riders drop off the back.

this is common place regardless of the course.

SL would have been a disgrace on Beach road with a bloody tail wind, the course really didnt alter the outcome for Evans.......the result, much like his GC result will be this year is a tragedy in the true sense.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
dadoorsron said:
I do agree with you on that. however, you are mentioning guys that are good enough to beat a great TT guy on certain days. Even a bad TT guy can beat a great tt Guy if its not his day. Look at 2004 when Ullrich beat lance because he got dehydrated. Even though Ullrich is one of the best tt guys ever in cycling. Lance in 05 passed him in the Opening tt. Passed Basso in the closing tt and he was his two minute man. I think we are spoiled because we have seen some of the greatest performances on tv in the last 20 years and never gotten to see the masters of old.

What are you blabbering about? Olano was a great TT racer period, during his peak 4 years he consistently wins TT's in Grand Tours, becomes World Champion TT.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
you would love the route...

auscyclefan94 said:
The tt course the route organisers made these riders go out on is a bloody disgrace. Surely the organisers have duty of care to not make the course so dangerous. So many riders crashed. I don't think i would ride my bike on that Course.

some beautiful country roads they were on outside of Montpellier, but you would have to use your brakes sometimes...

I live in Montpellier and have ridden those roads...yes, there were two places where the descent is very steep and very fast and you come upon those turns scary fast, but you need to brake and it's all good...

I was on that route the week before the tdf started and saw ag2r, francaise des jeux, and garmin-slipstream riding, learning those roads...I missed seeing astana by a day but they were there too, and i'm sure other teams also scouted the route...

I was also taking photos in Montpellier where a rider or two fell and again I'd say they needed to use their brakes...nothing dangerous, just goin' too fast for a particular turn...

The time trial bikes are not as easy to handle as a regular road bike so precautions are needed...but even on my road bike, I've headed down the fast, twisting roads and you just have to slow down to handle the turns...it's all possible...and these guys are pros too...you gotta throw 'em some kind of challenge...sure, not put them in harms way like some of the course was at the giro in italy, but this time trial course, though difficult, wasn't dangerous...

well, that's my view anyway...I did keep hearing Laurent Fignon, a commentator on channel 2, complain about the course, about it being too technical for a time trial...others complained it wasn't long enough...so I guess some thought it was ok and others hated it...hey, the human brain...

I posted a link to some photos on velonews...here you go, the start area and just after they get goin'...enjoy...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grapefruit1/sets/72157620995314301/show/