• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE Tour 2024, February 19-25

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Almost as hard as watching Froome still going at it. But hey, it’s only February.
At least Cav has been winning since 2021 and has had a GT stage each year. Cav’s already won this year with he and the team saying before the start that it’s more of a tune up and getting used to being with more sprinters and if a win or podium is there perfect. Now if this was 2017-2020 I would agree with you.

Just watch tomorrow for his win ;)

Reactions: scribers
Yeah but nothing wrong with greats staying past their prime, especially when they can still produce some great results. I'm glad we still have Cav, Valverde's last couple season were fun to have him around.
This is not a Froome situation

Yeh, he can still beat basically anyone on his day in a technical finish. Even if he is in terms of pure power probably in the ~5-10 range of sprinters in peloton.

And do think having Morkov this year will help a lot... last year was basically on his own so, so often and had to fight for position in last few km on his own.

Last year GT sprint stages:

Giro: 4, 141, 8, 3, 19, 1
TDF: 6, 5, 2

Sure that if he had Morkov last year? Would have added at least 1 more GT stage win to the Giro stage 21.

At least Cav has been winning since 2021 and has had a GT stage each year. Cav’s already won this year with he and the team saying before the start that it’s more of a tune up and getting used to being with more sprinters and if a win or podium is there perfect. Now if this was 2017-2020 I would agree with you.

Just watch tomorrow for his win ;)
Best part is if he’s having fun, more power to him. Hincapie has said Cav used to make fun of him for not retiring when he was the old man on the bus.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
fat-Elvis-cav’s magic is always the end of grand tours and sprinter attrition. He is the best of the rest after mountains have passed. In other words, he isn’t winning any straight up sprints with the todays top sprinters at shorter stage races. Fight me on this!

Tomorrow the conditions look quite good to split the race before the climb. But hard to see who could be interested. Maybe Bahrain

XwZJntF.png

Reactions: Sandisfan
Tomorrow the conditions look quite good to split the race before the climb. But hard to see who could be interested. Maybe Bahrain

XwZJntF.png

Yesterday the prediction was 8km/u and northerwind (so tailwind on Hafeet), completely changed it seems.

Not good for the climb I guess, but yeah possible there will be echelons before that. If the wind is strong enough and it's open you don't even have to try it will split a bit anyways.