• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Uno-X Pro Cycling Team

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
and Rodenberg Will probably go to DSM? How is he rated by the Danes nowadays? I used to read things about him becoming a future GT stage winner in sprints.

I think he's mostly known for his team pursuit skills.
Hadn't heard about the Rodenberg-to-DSM thing. However, I know that Johansen joined Jumbo-Visma at a team camp a few years ago, so I wouldn't be too surprised if he signed with them.

and Rodenberg Will probably go to DSM? How is he rated by the Danes nowadays? I used to read things about him becoming a future GT stage winner in sprints.

As I understand it, Hvideberg is the one going to DSM, but it could of course be both of them.

It's not easy to rate Rodenberg, because he was injured for a long time and has been mostly focused on the track since returning.
Right now I don't really know what to expect from him, but with the level he's shown on the track, it wouldn't surprise me, if he could still become a fine sprinter/leadout man.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Hoelgaard to Trek, Hvideberg & Rodenberg to DSM and Johansen to Wanty.

I have my doubts about Johansen. His results as junior were great, but I wonder how much was down to him being earlier developed than many of his opponents. In my (unqualified) eyes not a big loss for Uno-X and given how little he actually raced with the team during the last two seasons I'm sure it will not be hard to replace him.
Rodenberg is a bigger loss, I would've like to see him work more as sprint leadout for Halvorsen. Seeing how things seems to be at DSM I wouldn't be surprised if he is availible at the market again soon.

Hoelgaard to Trek, Hvideberg & Rodenberg to DSM and Johansen to Wanty.

I have my doubts about Johansen. His results as junior were great, but I wonder how much was down to him being earlier developed than many of his opponents. In my (unqualified) eyes not a big loss for Uno-X and given how little he actually raced with the team during the last two seasons I'm sure it will not be hard to replace him.
Rodenberg is a bigger loss, I would've like to see him work more as sprint leadout for Halvorsen. Seeing how things seems to be at DSM I wouldn't be surprised if he is availible at the market again soon.

It should be noted that Johansen is 20 months younger than Rodenberg and 8 months younger than Hvideberg, and as I understand it, he was injured at the start of the season. But I agree that he hasn't shown an awful lot on the road, considering he was seen as quite a big talent two to three years.

He is still young though, so I wouldn't write him off just yet, and he could possibly have delivered results for the team, if he had wished to stay. But whether it's too early to go to a WT team and if Wanty will be the best place for him right now, I'm not totally sure about.

Officially have 15 riders for next year now ( i dont count M.Hoelgaard that has a contract but will leave for Trek:)

Andersen
Charmig
Eg
Gregaard
Halvorsen
Holter (Ådne)
Halland Johannessen (Anders)
Halland Johannessen (Tobias)
Larsen
Blume Levy
Price Pejtersen
Resell
Skaarseth (Anders)
Tiller
Wærenskjold

That is a solid core, but there are still space for a lot more quality.
We know that Hoelgaard, Hvideberg, Rodenberg and Johansen leaves the team. That means that the following riders from this season that is available are:
Abrahamsen
Blikra
Hindsgaul Madsen
Hoelgaard (Daniel)
Hulgaard
Kulset (Kristian)
Kulset (Sindre)
Saugstad
Skaarseth (Iver)
Sleen
Træen
Urianstad
Wærsted

I expect the team to try very hard to resign Hingsgaul Madsen and Hulgaard. Also Sleen and Træen should definitively get new contracts. That takes us to 19.

We also know that Lasse Norrman Hansen is on his way in (reported by journalist Fredagsvik weeks ago that Uno-X would sign Eg, Gregaard and Norrman Hansen), so that means 20.

The remaining riders are then these 9.
Abrahamsen, Blikra, Hoelgaard (Daniel), Kulset (Kristian), Kulset (Sindre), Saugstad, Skaarseth (Iver), Urianstad, Wærsted.
Theoretically all 9 could be resigned, but I doubt that's gonna happen.

The Kulset brothers will probably get another year even if they (especially Kristian) are some of the weakest riders in the team, there has to be some benefit when you father is the team boss :)
Abrahamsen and Wærsted doesn't have good results, but they have often been selected to ride with the best riders in the team and in the bigger races, so I guess they will be offered new contracts. And Urianstad did some decent results in sprints lately, so I think he will continue and same with Erlend Blikra that won a race in May. That's 26.

That means I think Daniel Hoelgaard (guy is already 28 also), Lars Saugstad and Iver Skaarseth will not countinue with the team unless some of the riders above decides to go elsewhere.

Except Lasse Norrman Hansen I'm not sure if there will be any more signings from the outside, but ofc I hope for a surprise signing (maybe Eiking or some good dane).

Officially have 15 riders for next year now ( i dont count M.Hoelgaard that has a contract but will leave for Trek:)

Andersen
Charmig
Eg
Gregaard
Halvorsen
Holter (Ådne)
Halland Johannessen (Anders)
Halland Johannessen (Tobias)
Larsen
Blume Levy
Price Pejtersen
Resell
Skaarseth (Anders)
Tiller
Wærenskjold

That is a solid core, but there are still space for a lot more quality.
We know that Hoelgaard, Hvideberg, Rodenberg and Johansen leaves the team. That means that the following riders from this season that is available are:
Abrahamsen
Blikra
Hindsgaul Madsen
Hoelgaard (Daniel)
Hulgaard
Kulset (Kristian)
Kulset (Sindre)
Saugstad
Skaarseth (Iver)
Sleen
Træen
Urianstad
Wærsted

I expect the team to try very hard to resign Hingsgaul Madsen and Hulgaard. Also Sleen and Træen should definitively get new contracts. That takes us to 19.

We also know that Lasse Norrman Hansen is on his way in (reported by journalist Fredagsvik weeks ago that Uno-X would sign Eg, Gregaard and Norrman Hansen), so that means 20.

The remaining riders are then these 9.
Abrahamsen, Blikra, Hoelgaard (Daniel), Kulset (Kristian), Kulset (Sindre), Saugstad, Skaarseth (Iver), Urianstad, Wærsted.
Theoretically all 9 could be resigned, but I doubt that's gonna happen.

The Kulset brothers will probably get another year even if they (especially Kristian) are some of the weakest riders in the team, there has to be some benefit when you father is the team boss :)
Abrahamsen and Wærsted doesn't have good results, but they have often been selected to ride with the best riders in the team and in the bigger races, so I guess they will be offered new contracts. And Urianstad did some decent results in sprints lately, so I think he will continue and same with Erlend Blikra that won a race in May. That's 26.

That means I think Daniel Hoelgaard (guy is already 28 also), Lars Saugstad and Iver Skaarseth will not countinue with the team unless some of the riders above decides to go elsewhere.

Except Lasse Norrman Hansen I'm not sure if there will be any more signings from the outside, but ofc I hope for a surprise signing (maybe Eiking or some good dane).

They also haven't extented the with the 7 remaining development riders yet, though they have signed 5 new ones. Skivild, M. Kulset, Løland and Brynsrud might be offered new contracts, and then I don't know about the other 3. Aasheim turns 22 in February, so he could be viewed as being too old, though his experience may be valuable to the team.

They also haven't extented the with the 7 remaining development riders yet, though they have signed 5 new ones. Skivild, M. Kulset, Løland and Brynsrud might be offered new contracts, and then I don't know about the other 3. Aasheim turns 22 in February, so he could be viewed as being too old, though his experience may be valuable to the team.

Pretty certain Løland will be given at least 1-2 more years to develop before considering shunting him off.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Charmig has been handed a pay rise following his fine display at the Tour of Denmark. His contract was already set to expire after the 2023 season.

We know Tiller had a mechanical/puncture on the ITT in ToD, but neither Charmig or the team have given any explanation to why he only finished 80th. He might not have trained that much on his TT bike after he abandoned the Baby Giro, but still some of the guys, he either beat or finished near to in the Danish NC, were within a minute of Evenepoel's time, while he was only a second faster than Tiller. Something must have happened and he lost his 6th place by five seconds to Kragh. His overall performance was still quite uplifting.

I think you're going a bit far and overrating several of those riders but I'd say they could be average. And of course, teams that try to keep their rosters local pretty much never get anywhere near all the top riders from their country so more realistically you're looking at a team that would be closer to a bottom tier WT team.

They are also talking about the "Ajax model" focussing on talents, not paying the highest salaries. How is this ever going to work on WT level. They would clearly need quite few of the currently best norwegians and danes on WT level. This also gives those guys good leverage in contract negotiations whenever Uno X approaches them as their options are utterly limited.

Earlier this week Daniel Hoelgaard announced his retirement and now it seems like Tord Gudmestad from Team Coop will be his replacement. A very promising signing in my opinion, potentially a great sprinter.

They finally got invited to ride a WT stage race for the first time. They will be present in Catalunya.
That’s quite remarkable. I know it can be very tough to get a GT wildcard if you aren’t (a) French/Italian/Spanish or (b) in possession of a sponsor that’s throwing money around, but I’d have thought a reasonably successful, reasonably high profile team like them would get quite a few invites to other WT races.

Why do they have such a big roster for next year, by the way? There can’t be that many PCT level Norwegians, can there?

That’s quite remarkable. I know it can be very tough to get a GT wildcard if you aren’t (a) French/Italian/Spanish or (b) in possession of a sponsor that’s throwing money around, but I’d have thought a reasonably successful, reasonably high profile team like them would get quite a few invites to other WT races.

Why do they have such a big roster for next year, by the way? There can’t be that many PCT level Norwegians, can there?

*PCT level Danes and Norwegians.

They had 25 riders + Anthon Charmig, who started out on the devo team, last year, and now they've added three WT riders in Eg, Gregard and Norman Hansen (they're obviously not the best WT riders, but they aren't bad for a ProTeam) and the Johannesen twins, who were on their devo team last season. Last year they had 10 riders on the devo team, this year the number is currently 5, so there aren't a big difference in their total number of riders.
But they've also lost five talents to WT teams, though the Danish track guys didn't really get to achieve much on the road during their stay.

Not all the riders are equally good of course, but that goes for the all other ProTeams, too. I assume they're going to ride more races in 2022 than in 2021. Both because they might get more WT invites, but also due to races like the Tour of Denmark hopefully taking place this year.

*Last year they had 10 riders on the devo team, this year the number is currently 5, so there aren't a big difference in their total number of riders.
Unless I have misunderstood what you meant: there are 12 riders signed for the developement team: https://firstcycling.com/m/team.php?l=27820

Some of the main team riders are probably not good enough to be PCT-riders (for example the two Kulsets, Lars Saugstad and the weaker of the two Skaarseth brothers), but I suppose they are important for the environment and do important contribution outside of the biggest races. Take away the 4 riders I mentioned above and I think you have a really good 25 man squad. It will surprise me a lot if UnoX is not among the top 5 PCT teams this season. In my opinion the team looks better than B&B, Eolo etc. only Alpecin, Total and Arkea looks clearly better.

Unless I have misunderstood what you meant: there are 12 riders signed for the developement team: https://firstcycling.com/m/team.php?l=27820

I used PCS, so either they have updated their site since yesterday or I must have looked at incoming transfers only for some weird reason :sweatsmile:

It will surprise me a lot if UnoX is not among the top 5 PCT teams this season. In my opinion the team looks better than B&B, Eolo etc. only Alpecin, Total and Arkea looks clearly better.

It's obviously a new season, but considering they finished well ahead of the 6th placed team last year, they should stand pretty good chance of repeating that. The only problem could be that they might have too many climbers now and haven't got a one to one replacement for Markus Hoelgaard just yet.

TRENDING THREADS