• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 334 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nibali discussion thread

Dog said:
If Aru wins the Vuelta then Nibali can kiss goodbye to his guaranteed Tour leader status next year.

I don't think Aru should or would be in a hurry to race the tour yet, better he wins Giro first, although maybe Nibali would prefer Giro also, shame Nibali isn't racing elsewhere next year ;)

The Principal Sheep said:
Dog said:
If Aru wins the Vuelta then Nibali can kiss goodbye to his guaranteed Tour leader status next year.

I don't think Aru should or would be in a hurry to race the tour yet, better he wins Giro first, although maybe Nibali would prefer Giro also, shame Nibali isn't racing elsewhere next year ;)

Well I certainly hope he leaves Astana. But who do they have better for the Tour next year? Aru isn't a replacement for Nibali at the Tour IMO.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
fungusbear said:
I can't see Nibali doing the tour next year. I see him doing the Giro-Vuelta and then leaving Astana
I see him leaving Astana at the end of 2015. Too much bad blood between him and Vino, and other potential leaders for the team.
If Contador retires do you see Nibs going to Tinkoff?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Dog said:

I think Nibali would love to be back at the Giro and probably ride for Aru at TDF. So it's not necessarily disaster for Nibali if Aru wins Vuelta. I do hope Aru wins Vuelta. But Purito is close too, for sentimental support, I'm rooting for Purito too. He is so close so many times. Maybe this time he finally gets his breakthrough.

Jelantik said:
Dog said:

I think Nibali would love to be back at the Giro and probably ride for Aru at TDF. So it's not necessarily disaster for Nibali if Aru wins Vuelta. I do hope Aru wins Vuelta. But Purito is close too, for sentimental support, I'm rooting for Purito too. He is so close so many times. Maybe this time he finally gets his breakthrough.
Breakthrough? Seriously? That would be Horner-like.

LaFlorecita said:
Jelantik said:
Dog said:

????? Purito has plenty of GT podiums and one very near win miss, unlike Horner when he won.

Now back to Nibali. I hope he gets the heck off of Astana ASAP.

Carols said:
LaFlorecita said:
Jelantik said:
Dog said:

????? Purito has plenty of GT podiums and one very near win miss, unlike Horner when he won.

Give me more Italian intrigues, that's the best! How would it be possible to force his way out and if he did, which team would you prefer him ending up on?

Valv.Piti said:
Carols said:
LaFlorecita said:
Jelantik said:
Dog said:

Give me more Italian intrigues, that's the best! How would it be possible to force his way out and if he did, which team would you prefer him ending up on?

If Astana refuses to let him out of the contract which appears likely maybe there is a buyout clause.

As far as which team that is a puzzle. Who can afford him and his close pals, the ones he wants to ride with now, Agnoli and Vanotti I believe and who has room for all 3? 2017 is his likely departure date :(. So he'll have to make nice with the management for another year......Sigh

Well, a week ago he was in Kazakhstan for a charity event meeting Vino's billionaire bosses. We can only speculate what was discussed there since he was accompanied by his agent.

30324_tn.jpg

30309_tn.jpg

Carols said:
LaFlorecita said:
Jelantik said:
Dog said:

That's why I said, it would be ridiculous if this Vuelta would prove to be Rodriguez' "breakthrough". Rodriguez winning the Vuelta wouldn't be his breakthrough, he had that breakthrough many years ago.

Dog

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site

Jeez.

It's not a 'breakthrough' as if Joaquim Rodriguez has done something significant for the first time in his career, it would be a 'breakthrough' in the sense that he would have finally won a GT after having had so many high place finishes and podiums.

LaFlorecita said:
Carols said:
LaFlorecita said:
Jelantik said:
Dog said:

That's why I said, it would be ridiculous if this Vuelta would prove to be Rodriguez' "breakthrough". Rodriguez winning the Vuelta wouldn't be his breakthrough, he had that breakthrough many years ago.

Sorry I misunderstood.....aged brain probably :D

Nibali back to racing at Coppa Agostoni.

It seems he is in good form. He finished second behind Rebellin, outsprinted on the line after a 50km breakaway (with him Rebellin and Scarponi) with the bunch just behind the duo. Bonifazio (Lampre) 3rd, Nizzolo 4th and Colbrelli 5th.
bettiniphoto_0224021_1_full_670.jpg

And tomorrow he is racing the Coppa Bernocchi.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Took the win in Coppa Bernocchi today. Glad to see good form heading into Lombardia and worlds. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 11.58.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 11.58.14 AM.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,392