Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 620 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That made me curious, and at least I was right in thinking that Porte versus Nibali has never been a thing. They have only ever been in the same top 10 of a race three (!!!!) times*, which I find to be an astonishingly low number for two riders as prominent as them, considering how long they have both been in the peloton.

One of the four was the overall GC of the 2010 Giro (Nibali third, Porte seventh), and just once did they both feature in the same top 5. That was on stage 8 of the 2014 Tour, where they were the ones who were closest to be able to match Contador's pace on the climb up to the finish in Gérardmer (Blel Kadri won the stage from a break) the day before he crashed out of the race. On that day, Nibali was third and Porte was fourth. Then Nibali went on to have a slightly better race than Porte.

*Originally, I wrote four but that included the final TT of the 2011 Giro where Nibali has been credited 10th after the disqualification of Contador. I don't count such nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: SafeBet
The campaign that will lead to the Giro starts on the road next Saturday in Strade. Then Nibali will race Trittico Lombardia (August 3rd), Milano-Torino (5th), Milano-Sanremo (8th), Il Lombardia (15th), Giro dell’ Emilia (18th) and the Italian Championship (23rd) followed by a second altitude camp.

Tirreno-Adriatico (September 7-14) and Giro dell’Appennino (20th) will lead into the World Championship in Aigle-Martigny (27th), and finally the Giro d’Italia (October 3-25).

More about Nibali and the Trek team supporting him here:

“For the Maglia Rosa, I expect tough confrontations from contenders like Carapaz, Fuglsang, and Simon Yates, and one who could be a big surprise, Evenepoel. He’s strong, and he has approached cycling with personality. I like him. Only the road will tell how well he can perform during a three-week Grand Tour.

“Besides Remco, it’s good not to underestimate any outsider. The history of the Giro teaches that every year someone surprises. Last but not least, I dedicate a thought to Peter Sagan, a friend as well as a colleague. I’m happy to have him at the race. As he is already showing with his other great talent – acting in front of a camera – he will make this Giro even more special,” added Nibali.

Reactions from today from Trek twitter:

"In the last lap we rode a very fast pace. In one of the few moments of respite, Izagirre made a strong attack and immediately gained a good margin. There was little agreement in the chasers’ group and the advantage increased quickly."

"On the last climb I tried to attack a couple of times but I was too controlled to go alone. I am still satisfied because after Saturday's crash and the trauma of my hand I had no problems."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Professional Road Racing 14
B Professional Road Racing 0

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS