• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 620 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The campaign that will lead to the Giro starts on the road next Saturday in Strade. Then Nibali will race Trittico Lombardia (August 3rd), Milano-Torino (5th), Milano-Sanremo (8th), Il Lombardia (15th), Giro dell’ Emilia (18th) and the Italian Championship (23rd) followed by a second altitude camp.

Tirreno-Adriatico (September 7-14) and Giro dell’Appennino (20th) will lead into the World Championship in Aigle-Martigny (27th), and finally the Giro d’Italia (October 3-25).

More about Nibali and the Trek team supporting him here:

“For the Maglia Rosa, I expect tough confrontations from contenders like Carapaz, Fuglsang, and Simon Yates, and one who could be a big surprise, Evenepoel. He’s strong, and he has approached cycling with personality. I like him. Only the road will tell how well he can perform during a three-week Grand Tour.

“Besides Remco, it’s good not to underestimate any outsider. The history of the Giro teaches that every year someone surprises. Last but not least, I dedicate a thought to Peter Sagan, a friend as well as a colleague. I’m happy to have him at the race. As he is already showing with his other great talent – acting in front of a camera – he will make this Giro even more special,” added Nibali.

Ciro says he's fine and will start tomorrow.

Doctors have also concluded he has the proper race weight.

20200802-191833.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions from today from Trek twitter:

"In the last lap we rode a very fast pace. In one of the few moments of respite, Izagirre made a strong attack and immediately gained a good margin. There was little agreement in the chasers’ group and the advantage increased quickly."

"On the last climb I tried to attack a couple of times but I was too controlled to go alone. I am still satisfied because after Saturday's crash and the trauma of my hand I had no problems."

Time is near for the first big race of the year.

https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article...-trek-segafredo-poggio-cipressa-classicissima

"The Classicissima is the race that, because of its charm and history, I have always wanted to ride, even if it is one of those that I see as less suitable for my characteristics. For me it's still a race for the fast men."

"Despite this I've always tried to invent something, with attacks from afar or near the finish line, attacking uphill or downhill. After so many placings, I had almost put my mind at rest. The year I didn't look for her, she came to me. When I won, I crossed the finish line laughing. She came as an unexpected gift."

"The new route, honestly, I just looked at it on paper, but I'm not studying it. By Saturday I'll treasure the advice of the team and the trusted people who have seen it. My approach won't change. There remains a race of almost 300 km in which I want to do well, where it is important to take care of every detail. From feeding in the race to managing the positions in the group at key moments, a fundamental element to save as much energy as possible. The rest are unpredictable factors, even more so this year given the period."

No place for Antonio in the team which will be Giulio Ciccone, Gianluca Brambilla, Koen de Kort, Nicola Conci and Jacopo Mosca.

DS will be Slongo and Adriano Baffi who says:

"We no longer find some historical passages of the race, but in substance I think it remains a classic very suitable for sprinters. With the climb of Niella Belbo with 140km to go the riders' legs will be more tired than in the past, while the descent from Colle di Nava is technical and tricky. The fight for the best positions will be more intense. It's possible that this will make the Cipressa and Poggio the ideal terrain for a sharper selection than we've been used to in recent editions".

Reactions: Carols and Red Rick

TRENDING THREADS