• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 632 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Can't find the route anywhere!
Is it hard enough?

Same as last year, here you go:

giro-dellappennino-2019-altimetria.png

Reactions: Climbing
I expect him to be awful in Imola but ok for the Giro. Almost all key stages are more than a month away, he can build form for the last 10 days, which will be the decisive one . Yes of course he may suffer on Etna in stage 3, but then is there really any decisive stage before the ITT in Valdobbiadene?

He will be there for the podium, I guess. Whether he can fight for the win depends less on him and more on the level of others: he would lose against 2018 and 2019 Thomas, or possibly 2018 Yates, or if one of the younger guys steps up his game big time. High floor, low ceiling in other words.

[By the way, looking at the Tour and playing the IF game: where would you have a 2019 Vincenzo in the GC? I reckon JV riding style does not really suit him, but I would argue he could still fight for the podium?]

Nibali in the Tour?

Somewhere in the top 10.

• s.t. or few seconds down on stage 4
  • s.t. stage 6
  • s.t. as Roglic group on stage 8
-s.t. as Porte group on stage 9
  • drop 25s on stage 13
  • drops 10s on stage 15

Echelons are up in the air

Best GC stages for him would 100% be Col de la Loze and the ITT which might net him a 3rd place. I'd have him between 3rd and 5th.

Reactions: Rollthedice
Short reaction after the recon today:

"The route is difficult and selective, there are two very intense climbs. The second in the final part is really hard, then there is a long descent that leads to the circuit. To be protagonist you need great freshness and good legs, as well as an excellent organization of the team".

bqaxrub.png

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Greatest sandbag incoming ( and no one can convince me otherwise ) :cool:

Actually there's a sincere interview in Gazzetta that Climbing was referring to. It doesn't sound good. He doesn't know if he's ready for the Worlds, told Cassani about it. He is searching for his form but was unable to find it. In T-A was searching for something more but it didn't arrive. Asked if this can relate to the Giro also, he said yes.

• Sad
Reactions: Red Rick and Carols
Actually there's a sincere interview in Gazzetta that Climbing was referring to. It doesn't sound good. He doesn't know if he's ready for the Worlds, told Cassani about it. He is searching for his form but was unable to find it. In T-A was searching for something more but it didn't arrive. Asked if this can relate to the Giro also, he said yes.
*** that I'll just ride this season off to COVID then and Nibbles Giro 2021 #1 favorite confirmed.

That said I wonder if he's not better off getting some more input from other coaches than Slongo.

It's too late to switch trainer and training regime, but I strongly advocated it at the end of 2015.
All in all they won so much together that it's a bit hard to argue against Slongo-Nibali cooperation.

Don't think he's bluffing, something didn't work out as planned is my guess, maybe they're just a bit late.
I have little doubt he will be on good level for Giro, but for Worlds who knows...

• Sad
Reactions: Oliver and Red Rick
This will make things very easy for me, you see, I was wondering whether Nibali was a likeable rider or not. Now, if he goes to BMC, clearly he isn't a cool rider and nobody should support him. If he goes to Astana on the other hand, chances are he'll turn out to be a very cool rider, very likeable, and I'll cheer for him.

Been checking out some of the early posts. Bit of nostalgia.

I think that this quote from way back in the day kind of sums up how Nibs ended up being viewed on this forum :D

Reactions: Rollthedice