• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 653 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A couple of days ago people thought Nibali would lose the Giro in the TTs.

It looks like quite the opposite now.
Scratch that.

He's got his work cut out for him now but you'd bet the trophy cabinet on him being able to deal with Almeida and Kelderman in the mountains.

We'll wait and see. One thing is for sure: this man knows how to last three weeks. Once the shark smells blood, it's too late for everyone else.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
The good: GC situation means Trek won't have to carry the race. Win condition hasn't changed all that much. Everyone but Kelderman and Almeida within distance and on climbs like Agnello/Izoard/Stelvio Nibali should still be able to take them.

The bag: Where the *** did it go

The ugly: Nibali's shades. Nibali's ITTs at Trek. Can't really win without Stelvio/Agnello anymroe.

The funny thing is, if two weeks ago you had told me Nibali is gonna enter the Alps in 5th place behind only Almeida, Kelderman, McNulty and Bilbao my reaction would have been, well easy win then. If Nibali's shape is there those guys should still really not be a problem (with the exception of Kelderman maybe, but even then it's just Kelderman), but at this point I fear the shape just isn't there.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
The good: GC situation means Trek won't have to carry the race. Win condition hasn't changed all that much. Everyone but Kelderman and Almeida within distance and on climbs like Agnello/Izoard/Stelvio Nibali should still be able to take them.

The bag: Where the *** did it go

The ugly: Nibali's shades. Nibali's ITTs at Trek. Can't really win without Stelvio/Agnello anymroe.
Yeah, that's also how I see it. At least the weather is looking good at the start of the next week, so fingers crossed for the Stelvio stage. Wilco also isn't the greatest bike handler, so he could probably gain a lot of time on a descent.
If the race goes on as planned (fingers crossed) I can see Nibali, Birdsong and Pozzovivo attacking on stage 16.