• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 137 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
first baby, then he'll go on to win his third TA, before the ardennes triple and the tour. Finishing it all of with the WC and Lombardia.

uuufff... i hope you are right. But seeing his performance up until oman, it'll be a little tough to repeat his win. He is playing catch up now.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Jelantik said:
uuufff... i hope you are right. But seeing his performance up until oman, it'll be a little tough to repeat his win. He is playing catch up now.

Nibali is not like Froome who is on a very high level of fitness all year long. Looking at last year it seems Nibali can improve his form by a significant amount in a small time though. He was really bad in the tour of Poland, already better in Vuelta A burgos, and then managed to get second in the Vuelta. This all in a pretty small time-frame.
Seeing as his main objective this year is in July instead of May he's got plenty of time to tweak his form.

webbie146 said:
Nibali is not like Froome who is on a very high level of fitness all year long. Looking at last year it seems Nibali can improve his form by a significant amount in a small time though. He was really bad in the tour of Poland, already better in Vuelta A burgos, and then managed to get second in the Vuelta. This all in a pretty small time-frame.
Seeing as his main objective this year is in July instead of May he's got plenty of time to tweak his form.

In Poland, he was likely better than what he showed though. Just getting some training miles in the legs without going into the red.

But I doubt there was any hiding involved on Green Mountain. Tirreno will come too soon.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Flamin said:
In Poland, he was likely better than what he showed though. Just getting some training miles in the legs without going into the red.

But I doubt there was any hiding involved on Green Mountain. Tirreno will come too soon.

Most likely true. Then again it seems like he already made a big step forward in Oman compared to San Luis. But why Tirreno? He will ride Paris-nice right?

May 4, 2013
Visit site
If anyone here has had a baby, they will understand how completely distracting the event can be

Mr. Nibs will be a great papa and that is more important right now than anything - the expectation of his first child...this is normal to be side-tracked with anticipation :)

He will be focused by TDF, WC and Lombardia, I am satisfied. ;)

contessador said:
If anyone here has had a baby, they will understand how completely distracting the event can be

Mr. Nibs will be a great papa and that is more important right now than anything - the expectation of his first child...this is normal to be side-tracked with anticipation :)

He will be focused by TDF, WC and Lombardia, I am satisfied. ;)

He will be VERY sleep deprived.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Nibali is pretty good at classic style parcours.

maybe vino knows that Nibali has a better chance winning PN than TA since the parcours is more classic like. Especially he was no show so far with his form and a distraction of being a dad. Froome will crush him at TA. :D:D

May 4, 2013
Visit site
EnacheV said:
Vincenzo Nibali ‏@VincenzoNibali 30m

È nata Emma 3,350 di coccole e la Mamma sta bene !! ✨✨

Yay, Congratulations to them!

Everyone I know that has their first baby handles it a bit differently. Hard to guess how Nibali will do. Good luck and hope all goes well and he can bounce back soon. But if he doesn't that would not surprise me either.

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Parrulo said:
With a baby Squalo crying all night, papa Squalo will be too tired in PN and will by beaten by the Maestro :cool:

Hopefully there some sort of selection on one of the stages and we will see if Nibali holds any grudges against Costa because of the worlds.

Lol, baby Squalo. aw, cute :)

Lo Squalo v Costa again, yes!

But I wonder if Nibali will change his aggressive style. He does seem like he'd be a doting papa. How have other first-time papa's / pro-cyclists done?

Have to wait and see ;)

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
According to Raisport, while Vino asked Nibali to concentrate totally on the next Tour, another team member (Martinello?) adviced the italian rider to go for a 2nd Giro title; the reason would be that with Froome/Sky the risk to be 2nd is quite high and the season would be "lost" while a Giro victory would keep it positive.

Michele said:
According to Raisport, while Vino asked Nibali to concentrate totally on the next Tour, another team member (Martinello?) adviced the italian rider to go for a 2nd Giro title; the reason would be that with Froome/Sky the risk to be 2nd is quite high and the season would be "lost" while a Giro victory would keep it positive.

Did the report say he was going to actually do the Giro or was it just rumor? He wouldn't even be guaranteed another Giro win....not with Quintana there.

TRENDING THREADS