• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 151 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
the Inner Ring
‏@inrng
La Gazzetta reports Vincenzo Nibali got a letter in late April about "poor performance" signed by Astana boss Vinokourov

the Inner Ring ‏@inrng 2 uur
@kylsie1 there's a backroom clash between staff over methods, signing up to the MPCC etc too

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
l.Harm said:
the Inner Ring
‏@inrng
La Gazzetta reports Vincenzo Nibali got a letter in late April about "poor performance" signed by Astana boss Vinokourov

the Inner Ring ‏@inrng 2 uur
@kylsie1 there's a backroom clash between staff over methods, signing up to the MPCC etc too

They got a new performance-directer/trainer right? Astana has been pretty **** this year overall, except for Aru. Like what the hell happened to Scarponi at the Giro? It's been his worst giro in like 4/5 years I think.

I hope Nibs performs good in the Dauphine, Astana should get there act together.

trevim said:
It's lovely how team owners turn against their riders as soon as things start to go wrong. Tinkov and Contador last year, Vino and Nibali now? I wonder what the hell is Amadio doing with Basso :D

I don't know how you would like it, but if a team/athlete performs badly would you want to tell them, or pretend that everything they are doing is great as if it was a football team for 8 year old girls?

Vino attacks everyone said:
I don't know how you would like it, but if a team/athlete performs badly would you want to tell them, or pretend that everything they are doing is great as if it was a football team for 8 year old girls?
I don't think a guy like Nibali needs someone to tell him that he's doing bad. Vino would be better off managing Andy Schleck or some guy that after DNF 100 races still claim that "sensations were good". Also, who sends letters? :D

Nibali is in a very bad situation indeed. After the Ardennes flop he was sent a little letter signed by Vinokourov lamenting that his "performances have not been adequate."

The essence of the note was as follows: "We pay a lot, but we want corresponding results. We don't care about the motives, but those results that till now haven't been seen. Thus handle it, because, as such, things are not going well."

Thus has reported la Gazzetta dello Sport today.

Now I say if they hired Nibali to win the Tour, which they did, then Astana has gotten exactly what it deserves. Vinokourov and co. should have known that the best Nibali, no offense, can't dominate the best Contador, or best Froome, and not even the best Quintana. Consequently they made a poor investment, though that's not Nibali's fault. He is a Giro winner and Tour podium at best, which he has already achieved.

Nibali, for his part, is no doubt totally stressed, disillusioned and even furious, for which the strong arm tactic adopted by the Kazaks will probably only worsen his situation and theirs.

Then there is the tension between Beppe Martinelli and Aleksander Shefer over race programs, equipment and preparation. It is impossible for such disparate personalities and cultures to see eye-to-eye.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Nibali is in a very bad situation indeed. After the Ardennes flop he was sent a little letter signed by Vinokourov lamenting that his "performances have not been adequate."

The essence of the note was as follows: "We pay a lot, but we want corresponding results. We don't care about the motives, but those results that till now haven't been seen. Thus handle it, because, as such, things are not going well."

Now I say if they hired Nibali to win the Tour, which they did, then Astana has gotten exactly what it deserves. Vinokourov and co. should have known that the best Nibali, no offense, can't dominate the best Contador, or best Froome, and not even the best Quintana. Consequently they made a poor investment, though that's not Nibali's fault. He is a Giro winner and Tour podium at best, which he has already achieved.

Nibali, for his part, is no doubt totally stressed, disillusioned and even furious, for which the strong arm tactic adopted by the Kazaks will probably only worsen his situation and theirs.

Then there is the tension between Beppe Martinelli and Aleksander Shefer over race programs, equipment and preparation. It is impossible for such disparate personalities and cultures to see eye-to-eye.

Is it correct that Astana has hired a new guy this year for training plans, preparation and stuff?

May 19, 2011
Visit site
rhubroma said:

Smog bomb, if the letter is about the Ardeness, why someone choose this peculiar time to disclose it?

May 19, 2011
Visit site
webbie146 said:
Is it correct that Astana has hired a new guy this year for training plans, preparation and stuff?

his old coach?

While Aru was recording Astana’s most significant results of 2014 at the Giro – so far the team has won just five races – Nibali spent much of May training at altitude at Mount Teide under the stewardship of Paolo Slongo, his old coach from Liquigas who arrived at Astana this winter. “Paolo has told me that he’s going well physically and that’s an important reassurance for me,” Martinelli said."

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Only to Nibali?

The whole Astana team till Giro has been truly afwul. Only Aru and Fugslang performed for the team so far. CQ points:

5. ITA SCARPONI Michele AST 25/09/1979 190
9. ITA GASPAROTTO Enrico AST 22/03/1982 140
10. EST KANGERT Tanel AST 11/03/1987 95
12. NED WESTRA Lieuwe AST 11/09/1982 67
13. KAZ IGLINSKIY Maxim AST 18/04/1981 63
15. UKR GRIVKO Andriy AST 07/08/1983 50
21. SLO BRAJKOVIC Janez AST 18/12/1983 24
22. KAZ LUTSENKO Alexey AST 07/09/1992 23
26. SWE KESSIAKOFF Fredrik AST 17/05/1980 10

All these have done **** all, dont really know what the hell is going in that team.

hfer07 said:
bottom line is:

can La Gazzetta be trusted?

What kind of a question is that? That La Gazzetta fabricated the story? On this point, which newspapers can be trusted? Only those not Italian? Is that what you are getting at?

During the Giro the RAI commentary mentioned that Aru's third place saved Martinelli's position within Astana (or rather that if Aru didn't podium, Martinelli would have been fired).

Now I immediately thought then that it must be connected to Astana's being unsatisfied with Nibali's results in 2014. The letter has now demonstrated this beyond any doubt.

Nibali probably thought he needed to move to a non-Italian team to step up to another level, as Basso did when he left Fassa-Bartolo for CFC. Yet the two riders and situations are completely different and, aside from his Giro victory, the decision has not been fortuitous.

rhubroma said:
What kind of a question is that? That La Gazzetta fabricated the story? On this point, which newspapers can be trusted? Only those not Italian? Is that what you are getting at?

During the Giro the RAI commentary mentioned that Aru's third place saved Martinelli's position within Astana (or rather that if Aru didn't podium, Martinelli would have been fired).

Now I immediately thought then that it must be connected to Astana's being unsatisfied with Nibali's results in 2014. The letter has now demonstrated this beyond any doubt.

Nibali probably thought he needed to move to a non-Italian team to step up to another level, as Basso did when he left Fassa-Bartolo for CFC. Yet the two riders and situations are completely different and, aside from his Giro victory, the decision has not been fortuitous.

Did you see him ride last year? He didn't only win the giro last year I can tell you :p

TRENDING THREADS