• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 260 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Does Nibali do the Ardennes this year? He seems sharp and in good form.

I'd like him to come 2nd behind Contador in Tirreno and then win L-B-L. I was terrified when Iglinsky catched him in 2012 1 km from the finish.
If Nibali goes into the Ardennes with a level similar to the Tour 2014 or the Giro 2013 he'll have better chances than in 2012.

Dr. Juice said:
Does Nibali do the Ardennes this year? He seems sharp and in good form.

I'd like him to come 2nd behind Contador in Tirreno and then win L-B-L. I was terrified when Iglinsky catched him in 2012 1 km from the finish.
If Nibali goes into the Ardennes with a level similar to the Tour 2014 or the Giro 2013 he'll have better chances than in 2012.

LBL would be a very nice addition to his palmares :). He is due for a classic win, he has been knocking on that door.

Yes he is looking grand and has good condition as shown by that move yesterday. His jersey is better this year also, not great, but the bands can be seen from above. It was awesome to see them leading the peloton at 65-70km per hour :). Guardini almost got the win too!

May 19, 2011
Visit site
sir fly said:
Two and a half minutes behind the winner today in company of rouleur teammate implicates a slow build up towards Tirreno.
Maybe he'll be tempted to speed up meeting the rest of the Tour rivals.

The training build up worked very well for him last year. Why change the winning recipe?:D

May 19, 2011
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Hopefully we get to see the Nibali, Froome, Contador battle in July that we were cheated of last year. Throw in Quintana and a few others and it's shaping up as the race of the year.

Nibali and Froome for sure, AC will be out after an intense Giro.

maxmartin said:
The training build up worked very well for him last year. Why change the winning recipe?:D

Simply because his team manager expects him to do well in more than just one race throughout the season. :)
I really wish he would step up his game so he can be real competitive in the Ardennes classics (whichever of them he races.)

maxmartin said:

If you think this, boy your gonna be in for a big surprise. :p

Jspear said:
Simply because his team manager expects him to do well in more than just one race throughout the season. :)
I really wish he would step up his game so he can be real competitive in the Ardennes classics (whichever of them he races.)

He absolutely targets Tirreno, there is no way he will go there just for training. Also MSR. Whether he'll be up to it remains to be seen. Anyway he had his wife and little daughter with him in Oman and just before the race he was invited to San Remo Music Festival, Nibali is tranquillo :)

Rollthedice said:
He absolutely targets Tirreno, there is no way he will go there just for training. Also MSR. Whether he'll be up to it remains to be seen. Anyway he had his wife and little daughter with him in Oman and just before the race he was invited to San Remo Music Festival, Nibali is tranquillo :)

Nibali is always tranquillo, it is one of his strengths. This is the 2nd year in a row that he hasn't shown much of anything early, that after winning GTs with the accompanying fanfare and requirements in the previous year. He is leaner than early last year though which is good. He doesn't seem worried by his current lack of form but I hope some shows up soon for the spring races! Meanwhile he does seem to be doing some heavy lifting for teammates.

Carols said:
Nibali is always tranquillo, it is one of his strengths. This is the 2nd year in a row that he hasn't shown much of anything early, that after winning GTs with the accompanying fanfare and requirements in the previous year. He is leaner than early last year though which is good. He doesn't seem worried by his current lack of form but I hope some shows up soon for the spring races! Meanwhile he does seem to be doing some heavy lifting for teammates.

No need to worry at the moment, but he will have to much improve at Tirreno, given that MSR and Leige are his two big spring goals, before the Tour of course.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
maxmartin said:

Nibali vs a Froome at the peak of his powers is like an X-wing vs an imperial star destroyer if we're being honest. Let's hope Quintana and AC have good form or the Tour could be dull.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Miburo said:
How does nibali have a chance against Froome? He always got rekt by him.

Maybe if froome crashes yea.

Tirreno 2013 and a dont think that Froome is unbeatable in a 3 week race and Nibali is able to attack on every terrain.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Netserk said:
The Glandon descent should be ideal to distance Dawg. I will be disappointed if the favourites don't attack each other (on Glandon) that stage.

Yes and i think Contador will still be strong enough to create chaos, he's the kind of guy that will launch long range attacks if he isn't the strongest climber and I think that SKY and Froome will panic if he does, Nibali and Quintana could benefit from that.

Carols said:
Traquillo is right! This year he's looking much better earlier in the eason, a more normal progression towards T-A victory.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Jspear said:

Like the big surprise you endured last year, bring it on:p

TRENDING THREADS