• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 320 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Re:

sir fly said:
I've watched the critical moments again, and can say Nibali was fully aware of Froome's problem, but his attack wasn't directed against Froome. It's irrational to think he'd gain seven minutes exploiting the mishap.
He did use the opportunity, but from different angle. Also, he couldn't make an instant gap, it took him awhile.

But he chose that moment because he hoped that those closer in the GC to Froome wouldn't follow him. But if they do follow him then there is a domino effect that hurts the yellow jersey. Contador and Gesink might follow him because they need to defend their positions... because they follow so do Valverde and Quintana...

Each to their own. Personally I wouldn't want to gain an advantage from someones misfortune but thats me.

I'd have more respect for him if he actually admitted that he attacked when he saw Froome have his mechanical. The Kangert story is blatantly BS. Also his "you need to think and use your brain" comment is rich given the bottle throwing incident.

Given all of that I'm still bemused why Froome should be that upset with Nibali. I don't think either of them come out of this well.

Re: Re:

Jaunty Monty said:
sir fly said:
I've watched the critical moments again, and can say Nibali was fully aware of Froome's problem, but his attack wasn't directed against Froome. It's irrational to think he'd gain seven minutes exploiting the mishap.
He did use the opportunity, but from different angle. Also, he couldn't make an instant gap, it took him awhile.

But he chose that moment because he hoped that those closer in the GC to Froome wouldn't follow him. But if they do follow him then there is a domino effect that hurts the yellow jersey. Contador and Gesink might follow him because they need to defend their positions... because they follow so do Valverde and Quintana...

Each to their own. Personally I wouldn't want to gain an advantage from someones misfortune but thats me.

I'd have more respect for him if he actually admitted that he attacked when he saw Froome have his mechanical. The Kangert story is blatantly BS. Also his "you need to think and use your brain" comment is rich given the bottle throwing incident.

Given all of that I'm still bemused why Froome should be that upset with Nibali. I don't think either of them come out of this well.
Yes, pretty much my thoughts.
Used a shady opportunity, should've been more honest and overreaction by Froome.
All in all, the taste it left could have been more pleasant.

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Nibali doesn't try to hide the fact that he was checking Froome out to see what was up. It's clear - I just watched it. But consider the words from Froome himself ....the only ones I need to worry about are Quintana and Valverde. So why have a tantrum about Nibs racing as he has the right to. And there was never a bottle thrown. sheesh...bunches of gossips and ninnies.

Re: Nibali discussion thread

Walkman said:
cineteq said:
Nibali attacking today was his own right regardless of Froome had a mechanical. Nibali and his team provoked Froome's isolation.. Froome attacked the current TdF champion on stage 3. Froome better shut up. Basta!

I agree with you, you should be able to attack whenever you want, but that does not make it any less of a d*ck move, if he indeed was looking at Froome, saw he had a mechanical and went for it. Nibali has every right to attack and Froome has every right to be a bit pissed since it's d*ck move. Racing is racing.
I can't add anything more...

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Nibali said:
“Lots of things have happened to me too, but that's cycling. When Contador crashed on the descent (to Pra-Loup) we didn't know until three or four kilometres after. It happens a lot of times in races. I can remember when I crashed at the 2010 Giro d'Italia, at Montalcino. There was the incident when Andy Schleck was attacked by Contador at the Tour the other year. There are no rules….”

Nibali is a rider i admire but if he see he didnt know about Froome incident he lie, becouse he look at...he can do that, and he he say there is no rules is ok, but he should lie, it is not polite.

Anyway , there are some non writted rules, other way it is that everybody comply them...with a race is going (I dont know the translation to english, lanzada in spanish) it is not polite dont wait for a problem of a important rider if is a problem just for bad luck...if the race is going...whatever happend there is no way to wait...

In this case the climb was almost with head wind, except that part and the descent was close, so I think that Nibali was thinking to attack, so maybe is want for Froome...

Taxus4a said:
SeriousSam said:
Nibali said:
“Lots of things have happened to me too, but that's cycling. When Contador crashed on the descent (to Pra-Loup) we didn't know until three or four kilometres after. It happens a lot of times in races. I can remember when I crashed at the 2010 Giro d'Italia, at Montalcino. There was the incident when Andy Schleck was attacked by Contador at the Tour the other year. There are no rules….”

Nibali is a rider i admire but if he see he didnt know about Froome incident he lie, becouse he look at...he can do that, and he he say there is no rules is ok, but he should lie, it is not polite.

Anyway , there are some non writted rules, other way it is that everybody comply them...with a race is going (I dont know the translation to english, lanzada in spanish) it is not polite dont wait for a problem of a important rider if is a problem just for bad luck...if the race is going...whatever happend there is no way to wait...

In this case the climb was almost with head wind, except that part and the descent was close, so I think that Nibali was thinking to attack, so maybe is want for Froome...
Ha ha ha....I wonder why some rider who's 8 minutes down should be a concern for Foome?

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Watching it now...an epic 58 km ride by Nibali! Phil and Paul had a little argument over it.....lol Phil thought is was oh so terrible travesty...Paul wasn't as ruffled and Bob Roll actually took Nibs side. Andy Schleck vs Contador all over again...

I understand the jealousy ;)

Nibs is so boss :cool:

Re:

jalep said:
Watching it now...an epic 58 km ride by Nibali! Phil and Paul had a little argument over it.....lol Phil thought is was oh so terrible travesty...Paul wasn't as ruffled and Bob Roll actually took Nibs side. Andy Schleck vs Contador all over again...

Ikr, not even top 3 in the only race he's targetted. What a boss :D

Cheap move.

No, Froome doesn't care about Nibali, but Contador, Quintana, Valverde, Gesink etc do, and everyone naturally increased their pace when Nibali attacked. As soon as he attacked that whole group was lined out. Froome was forced to ride hard to catch up.

If you believe "anything goes" then man up and say that, don't hide behind a blatant lie that you didn't see anything.

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
jalep said:

Ikr, not even top 3 in the only race he's targetted. What a boss :D

Nibali had a bad 2 weeks. Bad luck. But his 58 km ride to the finish to win the mountain stage was completely boss :cool: yes!

Not a fan of targeting one race a year, though. Truly hope he changes that. I love seeing him race and one TdF is enough for me.

Re:

kenk09 said:
Cheap move.

No, Froome doesn't care about Nibali, but Contador, Quintana, Valverde, Gesink etc do, and everyone naturally increased their pace when Nibali attacked. As soon as he attacked that whole group was lined out. Froome was forced to ride hard to catch up.

If you believe "anything goes" then man up and say that, don't hide behind a blatant lie that you didn't see anything.

Tbf, Froome's really not affected by it. Valverde and Contador were the real losers, as they had enough class not to follow, but they're the ones who actually lose out

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
kenk09 said:
Cheap move.

Tbf, Froome's really not affected by it. Valverde and Contador were the real losers, as they had enough class not to follow, but they're the ones who actually lose out

Contador wasn't a loser from Nibs attack. Contador doesn't ride for 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd! Contador rides FTW. Valverde rides for his podium spot, no doubt. But he's still 3rd. Very doubtful that Nibs will have the legs tomorrow to replicate today's performance. But Contador - he's due for a glorious long range attack!

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Re:

kenk09 said:
Cheap move.

Cheer up :p
For someone who doesn't care about Nibali, Froome sure made a big stink about it.

PremierAndrew said:
kenk09 said:
Cheap move.

I think that was the whole point. He went at a time when he was unlikely to be chased down immediately by the guys who matter. And him being 7-8 minutes down, Froome doesn't have a very valid beef. Stage win + striking distance from the podium = perfect strategy from Nibs. A bit cheeky perhaps, but perfect nonetheless.

Walkman said:
jalep said:
In Froome's words after stage 18...from CyclingNews:

“I’ve got two wheels to follow at this point: Nairo Quintana and Alejandro Valverde. I hope we can finish the job now.”

“In the next two days it would be amazing to win another stage. But at the same time, yellow is the priority, I’m not going to kill the team chasing a break unless Quintana or Valverde are in it,” he said.

He's not giving Nibali any respect and why should he be, right? Nibs was 8 minutes down. Not a threat. What a whiner Froome is, complaining about Nibali attacking. Also I can't forget that time-out he called on stage 17, (the only stage I bothered to wake up and watch) Froome called the time out why? Because the attacks were coming too fast and furious for him to handle? It certainly gave his team time to catch up. That's not racing! You don't call a time-out to simply allow yourself a break to gather your team together unless you are insecure and scared that things are going to get out of hand. The racing wasn't dangerous. The conditions were perfect - attacks are to be expected: it's a bike race! Nibali, Contador, whoever need to be chased down, chase them down. Your team is not all there and accounted for? So you can put an arm up and call a time-out? I saw Valverde put his arm on Nibali's shoulder, lean in and something was said between them at the time as well.....Nibs was p*****d off and rightly so. There wasn't a valid reason to call that time-out. Even if he called it because he'd heard Tejay was sick, so what? It's unfortunate for Tejay but does the race take a time-out or keep moving on? Tejay is number 3 on the road at that point, sure, but again, it's a fast-paced competition not the final parade into Paris already. Froome comes across overly dramatic and blows, just blows...lol the right word escapes me. He comes across as a baby throwing a tantrum when he doesn't get his way.

Ohh, cry me a river.

If anything, I'd say chapeau to Froome. If he can convince the other to take a time out and they for some reason agree, then they either also wanted a truce or they are idiots and don't deserve better. End of story.

Certainly you would be singing a different tune if this were a rider that you supported. I agree that the timeout was b.s..

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Re:

jalep said:
Nibali doesn't try to hide the fact that he was checking Froome out to see what was up. It's clear - I just watched it. But consider the words from Froome himself ....the only ones I need to worry about are Quintana and Valverde. So why have a tantrum about Nibs racing as he has the right to. And there was never a bottle thrown. sheesh...bunches of gossips and ninnies.

Actually he said he was checking back with Kangert. What in all fairness is exactly what he does, you can see him speaking with him both times when he looks back. Froome happens to be right behind Kangert which is probably how he noticed his problems(if you assume he did).

http://gfycat.com/SinfulDeterminedHowlermonkey

Re:

jalep said:

Phil and Paul lose all perspective when a Pom rider is the subject of conversation. :eek:

mihhint said:
jalep said:

Actually he said he was checking back with Kangert. What in all fairness is exactly what he does, you can see him speaking with him both times when he looks back. Froome happens to be right behind Kangert which is probably how he noticed his problems(if you assume he did).

http://gfycat.com/SinfulDeterminedHowlermonkey

With his having previously in the Tour called a timeout on all the aggressions that were occurring for whatever reason, I really wouldn't put it past him to have faked this alleged "stone in his brake" to slow the peloton due in large part to his being on the verge of being isolated at a pivotal moment. Nibali and Astana were setting up for an attack prior to this staged drama.

PremierAndrew said:
kenk09 said:
Cheap move.

I'm not convinced they didn't follow. They certainly tried to follow.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
And yet, after everything. Even though Froome was the least affected, he's the only one who whined about it. Everyone else made no big deal of the fact. So well done everyone else.

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Re:

SergeDeM said:
And yet, after everything. Even though Froome was the least affected, he's the only one who whined about it. Everyone else made no big deal of the fact. So well done everyone else.

froome looks coocked. his moody overreaction prove it. his fickle behaviour prevents him becoming patron. and thats good ! TDF with patrons like indurain or lance were too predictable.
too bad the ADH stage isnt epic one like 2008 sastre.

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:

Was Froome effected by it? I think more that he's upset by being beaten by a stronger 'little' rider on the day but the way his support staff in the British media rallied round who knows.

Certainly the real winners of Nibs racing is the fan's

Re:

Guybrush said:
it's not about Froome, think about it:

*Nibali attacks when he has a mecanical problem
*Froome doesn't care because he's far back in GC
*The other CG riders must wait the arrival of Froome
*Nibali takes advantage of CG rivals (places between 3 and 8)
*They (Contador/Valverde/Gesink) should be angry with him, not Froome
This is not what happened. Valverde chased hard and he couldn't bridge. They didn't wait for nobody. The race actually exploded to the point there were only 5 riders in the chasing group when Froome got back. Nibali probably had a 15 seconds gap at that point. He had 2'25" on Valverde and Contador at the end of the stage. I don't think there's anything else to add.

TRENDING THREADS