• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 408 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Kwibus said:
Also I read multiple comments on this forum complaining that the descent was too much. I don't understand this at all.

The riders explored the climb then raced it 3 times so they all knew every corner of the descent.

It's not the descent itself as much as the effects it had on shaping the final podium more than even the last climb and run-in to the finish did I don't really like. Without the Nibali & Henao crash, Majka would not have been found racing alone up front and Thomas, Avermaet & Fuglsang would probably have joined him, especially given how he looked cooked in final sprint with Avermaet. At the very least we would have had Nibali, Henao & Majka vs Thomas, Avermaet & Fuglsang all the way to the finish and that would have been a more valid way for any of those riders to win the race. It was still a great race, but the descent had too much influence on the podium in hindsight.

Re:

Kwibus said:
Also I read multiple comments on this forum complaining that the descent was too much. I don't understand this at all.

The riders explored the climb then raced it 3 times so they all knew every corner of the descent.

They were lucky it didn't rain then there really would have been problems. Crashes happen in every race but sometimes they are more dramatic such as in this race.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
It's a shame Nibali was brought down by Henao, but these things happen and Henao didn't do it on purpose obviously. I hope he comes back stronger than ever, but I fear this will be a big mental blow for him. :( He's not the mentally strongest cyclist out there (frequently complaining about the press criticizing him, saying he's not a robot). I think his season is over, but we'll see.

Re:

F e r o x said:
I've just watched the replays in slowmotion and it's clear that Nibali was in front and crashed before Henao.

Watch again. Henao is already on the ground sitting still, his bike in the middle of the road and Nibali is further down the road rolling on the tarmac from the fall. It should've been the other way around if Nibs fell first.

Re: Nibali discussion thread

Nibali was the first to fall down, it does not mean that he "took down" Henao though. He misjudged that bend and Henao followed the same line and both of them went too wide. It's hardly "fault" of only one of them.

P.s. I just saw the interview of Cassani on the Gazzetta website. He confirms that Nibali fell on his own; he was taking a lot of risks because he was trying to win the gold medal. It seems that at that point both Nibs and Henao were descending so fast causing Majka to lose 5-10 meters, which eventually allowed Majka to avoid the accident.
http://video.gazzetta.it/cassani-squadra-fantastica-nibali-sfortunato/6acbf9b8-5cb9-11e6-a9c1-fd593c729b16

Re:

Carols said:
Sad, Sad for Nibs....He was trying to drop them and solo in. Rode a great race but took one risk to many :(. I hope he is okay.

Nibs is a classy rider. He want to win, not podium.
He knew that he need to get more time before flat road in order to get rid of riders such as GVA, G Thomson...

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
There was an interview with the president of Italian cycling federation and he said Nibali went too fast into the corner and slipped. He also had MRI done since he hit the handlebar, but all was OK.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

samhocking said:
Kwibus said:

It's not the descent itself as much as the effects it had on shaping the final podium more than even the last climb and run-in to the finish did I don't really like. Without the Nibali & Henao crash, Majka would not have been found racing alone up front and Thomas, Avermaet & Fuglsang would probably have joined him, especially given how he looked cooked in final sprint with Avermaet. At the very least we would have had Nibali, Henao & Majka vs Thomas, Avermaet & Fuglsang all the way to the finish and that would have been a more valid way for any of those riders to win the race. It was still a great race, but the descent had too much influence on the podium in hindsight.

Thomas?

Nibali went down while ahead but from the images it didn't seem like he took down Henao. I think they both fell on the same corner with Henao trying to follow Nibali, Nibali taking a corner badly and Henao following the line, and both fell, just in different ways. I think they'd dropped majka by a few metres as he was quite slow when he passed them, meaning he had slowed down when he saw them, presumably quite early, and took a different line. Pity. I feel bad for Nibali, Henao, and all of the Italy team (more so than Colombia because Italy was a team effort)

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I think the reason Henao crashed slightly before Nibali is when Nibali went down, Henao braked and when you are braking the bike will go out of the desired line - you are not able to make as sharp turn as when you are not braking.

Rollthedice said:
F e r o x said:
I've just watched the replays in slowmotion and it's clear that Nibali was in front and crashed before Henao.

Watch again. Henao is already on the ground sitting still, his bike in the middle of the road and Nibali is further down the road rolling on the tarmac from the fall. It should've been the other way around if Nibs fell first.

Before you want to correct someone, make sure you at least know what you're talking about.

Just watch the footage. Couldn't be anymore clearer.

Mr.White said:
samhocking said:
Kwibus said:

Thomas?

Yes, Thomas crashed on the last corner descending with the Avermaet & Fuglsang group who then bridged to Majka dropping Rodriguez & Aru etc.

samhocking said:
Mr.White said:
samhocking said:
Kwibus said:

Thomas?

Yes, Thomas crashed on the last corner descending with the Avermaet & Fuglsang group who then bridged to Majka dropping Rodriguez & Aru etc.
Fuglsang and GVA attacked on the flat, not on the descent.

Re: Nibali discussion thread

Nibali has undergone surgery this morning in Brescia.

According to his DS, Martinelli, surgery lasted 2 hours and all went well.
Two metal plates were inserted in Nibali's shoulder to clamp his collarbone, broken in two different spots.

Curiosity. Nibali flew back from Brasil to Florence on the A319 of the Italian Presidency, along with the Italian PM, Mr Renzi.

TRENDING THREADS