• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 458 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
Re:

killswitch said:
https://twitter.com/EuroHoody/status/904783209073958912
When asked what he would do to try beat Sky at this Vuelta, Froome shrugged with a laugh: "I'd go for stage wins"

As if Nibali needed more motivation to crush Sky.
this is telling you that Froome knows very well that if he was not in team sky he would chase stage winning and not gc , Nibali does not give a **** about these things

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
telencefalus said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Slongo also thought they would lose 40/50 seconds in the first time trial of the Giro, and he lost 2 minutes.

I think Slongo has much more experience than you and me so i trust him
for a guy with that much experience he is often wrong / too optimistic with his predictions though..
will see this afternoon i will check the times

Dekker_Tifosi said:
telencefalus said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Slongo also thought they would lose 40/50 seconds in the first time trial of the Giro, and he lost 2 minutes.

I think Slongo has much more experience than you and me so i trust him
for a guy with that much experience he is often wrong / too optimistic with his predictions though..
as a couch, he should be able to be optimistic to encourage his athlete charging him with positive energy. might've been really weird if slongo said 'im expecting nibali to lose one and a half or two minutes'.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Tbf, hardly anyone expected Dumoulin to be that good. He had just ridden the most impressive mountain stage of his career and earlier that season his TT was disappointing in Tirreno Adriatico.
I think that prediction was optimistic anyway, but not as much as it maybe seems in retrospective.

I don't remember Slongo before Montefalco saying he'd loose 40/50 sec to Dumoulin only that he expect Nibali to gain 40 sec on Quintana and I would also like to see a source for his prediction for today. Anyway, anything between 1 minute and 1'30'' is good, preferably closer to the minute. I think that's about all he can do but there might be suprises, his proverbial last week form should kick in.

telencefalus said:
killswitch said:
https://twitter.com/EuroHoody/status/904783209073958912
When asked what he would do to try beat Sky at this Vuelta, Froome shrugged with a laugh: "I'd go for stage wins"

As if Nibali needed more motivation to crush Sky.
this is telling you that Froome knows very well that if he was not in team sky he would chase stage winning and not gc , Nibali does not give a **** about these things

Exactly.....

Happy with that. Really quite a strong showing all things considered. Think it just feels a bit bad because after the first split it really felt like Froome might not be on one. It's a big ask but it's a gap that's doable on strength and not just on a miracle. fingers crossed =)

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
Nibali is the last man that could avoid Froome enter in the history , he doesn't like Froome they pretty hate each other remeber the tour 2015 and the book Nibali wrote , Nibali define Froome biohazard

It's funny that so many people call nibali overrated but especially in tt's he always gets underrated. I read somewhere that someone called this the tt of his life which makes me wonder how fast it's possible to forget races. Even his performance in the first giro tt this year was around as good as this one.

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
as i said Froome is beating a very in form Nibali , will see in the last stages if he will be better than at the giro , but Froome is beating him easyly after doing le tour and as a poster said doing 3000 km in the just 26 days between the 2 races

Gigs_98 said:
It's funny that so many people call nibali overrated but especially in tt's he always gets underrated. I read somewhere that someone called this the tt of his life which makes me wonder how fast it's possible to forget races. Even his performance in the first giro tt this year was around as good as this one.

He was third in TT world championships at junior and under 23 level.

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
telencefalus said Nibali called Froome a' bio hazard' - oh i love that- was that in the book?

and Rollthedice 'Yep, good ol likeable chap Froome, all smiles but no lips.' -thanks that cheered me up!

Nibali is so pessimistic about his chances the last few days. Entirely different from the Giro where he kept believing it was possible.

Is that he sees it's hopeless to attack Sky? There is no ambush possible with such a strong team, unlike in the Giro were the leader had no team?

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Nibali is so pessimistic about his chances the last few days. Entirely different from the Giro where he kept believing it was possible.
Judging by his interviews he was way more pessimistic during the giro than what seen in this Vuelta.
At the Giro he basically always said that Domoulin was going to win since "not even Quintana could drop him and even so there was that long ITT at the end of the race". But then, during the actual race they tried and tried to make something happen.
In this Vuelta I saw his interviews and he does not say he is going to win or similar but he does not say "there's no way we can beat sky" either.

TRENDING THREADS