• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 735 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Don't know what he is doing. I thought after the Coppi he can go to Dwars door and De Ronde, maybe Roubaix, amstel, Liege. He had decent legs and Astana sponsors could have done with him at those races.

If he's doing the Giro, he needs an altitude camp. So if he races Sicilia, that means no Liege if he wants to be in the best condition for Giro. Alternatively, he does the ardennes after Sicilia and the Giro is a parade for him.

Astana is a total shambles right now without Lutsenko. Superman comes back for Trentino in 2 weeks and they need him desperately. I don't understand the Vicnenzo participation at the Giro. If he wants a parade, he can do it next year (already last year he did it).

Or come back from altitude for Liege and skip Sicilia

After doing some digging since Astana seems to be very secretive with their training camps, found a random Spanish photographer who posted on instagram a picture with Nibali, Feline and another Astana rider on the roads on Teide five days ago. So altitude is checked.

As we all know the long stop caused by illnesses messed up all his programme so the only reasonable goal remains the Giro for now. Sicily is a good idea, low profile, familiar roads, Etna stage with the same finish as in the Giro. I think he will ride LBL like every year.

Just a few more days of hard training, next Tuesday Giro di Siclia.
Between GP Larciano and Sicilia, that is a very short altitude camp. Usually you need at least 12 nights, with time to rest from racing before you go, and then a few days rest after the camp.

Hopefully it's enough for a good level on Liege and the Giro. Vincenzo knows his body better than me. He is looking very lean

Shame he didn't try flanders or roubaix

Reactions: Sandisfan
New interview here:

He is finishing the training on Teide. Some highlights:

"I only competed 12 days, half the usual amount. In February I contracted Covid and was treated at home without any apparent problems. When the infection was over, after getting back on the bike, I collapsed: one night I was so sick that I told my wife to call an ambulance. I was delirious. The respiratory problems lasted for days and days. I felt like a wreck"

"Yes, but I'm behind schedule. I'll race the four Sicilian stages, then Fleche Wallonne and Liege, and then I'll fly to Budapest for the start of the Giro d'Italia. Over the years I've learned to put on a good face: you have to make do with what you have."

"Ten days ago in Taormina a group of 15 cyclists (including my father) were mowed down by a car. He was in the lead and remained unharmed, seven ended up in the hospital, one is serious. I'll be training in Messina until Easter, but doubling my attention".

After the Giro d'Italia you have in program the Tour.

"On paper, yes. But I've decided that after the arrival in Verona I'll put a point and decide what to do. Riding the Giro and Tour would mean to end the season in Paris and instead I would like to end it in a different way, maybe preparing well the Lombardia that I've already won twice".

New interview here:

He is finishing the training on Teide. Some highlights:

"I only competed 12 days, half the usual amount. In February I contracted Covid and was treated at home without any apparent problems. When the infection was over, after getting back on the bike, I collapsed: one night I was so sick that I told my wife to call an ambulance. I was delirious. The respiratory problems lasted for days and days. I felt like a wreck"

"Yes, but I'm behind schedule. I'll race the four Sicilian stages, then Fleche Wallonne and Liege, and then I'll fly to Budapest for the start of the Giro d'Italia. Over the years I've learned to put on a good face: you have to make do with what you have."

"Ten days ago in Taormina a group of 15 cyclists (including my father) were mowed down by a car. He was in the lead and remained unharmed, seven ended up in the hospital, one is serious. I'll be training in Messina until Easter, but doubling my attention".

After the Giro d'Italia you have in program the Tour.

"On paper, yes. But I've decided that after the arrival in Verona I'll put a point and decide what to do. Riding the Giro and Tour would mean to end the season in Paris and instead I would like to end it in a different way, maybe preparing well the Lombardia that I've already won twice".
Papi Nibali was in the lead. Vincenzo has many prosperous years ahead of him.

In reality he sounds like he wants to race the Italian fall and say goodbye

“I am quite happy with the way the stage was going on and, in general, with my result even if it is just a second place and not a victory. It was clear that Damiano was the favorite today as he is fast in this kind of short uphill. I feel like my form is coming after a big break and an altitude training camp, so it looks pretty good. I want to congratulate Damiano Caruso on this victory, it is good that another Sicilian rider won today. We are good friends, and I am happy for him. Well, it was a nice day spent with my team in a good way and I am looking forward to the next days here at the Giro di Sicilia”

“I think that for me it was a very good test after the altitude training camp and ahead of the Giro d’Italia. It was a nice race, and I am feeling like I am on the right way. Well, I did maximum I could today and, in general, during these four days, I couldn’t do more. So, I am quite satisfied with my actual form and my result. I congratulate Damiano Caruso on this nice victory, I am happy that another Sicilian rider wins the second edition of this race in a row”.

It's happening...
90ce3c7900a9b587c0215a86efa0cd87.gif

Reactions: Rollthedice
And the gap to Caruso on such a hard stage as today was really minor. I am getting a bit hyped now. I mean he was out for 3 weeks and thats how he comes back? The gap to Caruso certainly seems closeable for the Giro (and that might be enough for a very good placing). I just hope that the sickness didn't cost more in endurance/recovery.
Now 1 week rest after that effort. Fine tune the form.

Reactions: Sandisfan
“I think that for me it was a very good test after the altitude training camp and ahead of the Giro d’Italia. It was a nice race, and I am feeling like I am on the right way. Well, I did maximum I could today and, in general, during these four days, I couldn’t do more. So, I am quite satisfied with my actual form and my result. I congratulate Damiano Caruso on this nice victory, I am happy that another Sicilian rider wins the second edition of this race in a row”.
Thanks for your posts

Does he actually go to Flèche? PCS doesn't show it. I guess he heard of Rog's knee trouble and saw his opportunity.

"When I crossed the line I didn't even know I'd won! I thought (Vincenzo) Nibali was up ahead of me. It was my cousin who told me at the finish that victory was mine."

Alaphilippe, Fleche 2018

Nibali, Cote de Cherave, Fleche 2015