• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 13 (Muros > Mirador de Ézaro 33.7 km ITT)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
For the time trial, it’s highly likely that I’ll be saving my legs for the coming days so I can help Richie. If he can’t hold the lead in the time trial then I’ll be there to help make the race as hard as possible.

Don't expect much from Froome tomorrow.

Climb profile, this is a mini Angliru

vuelta-a-espana-2020-stage-13-climb-n2-0d835ef99b.jpg

It's been a funny old vuelta. Roglic cracks on the Angliru and loses 10 seconds. Froome putting out his best numbers but looks to be out of contention. Anyway, Roglic to tire himself out gaining time in the tt and get ko'd during the week.

Maybe split it into 2 cars with 4 bikes each, just so the team leader has an opportunity as late as possible to make any changes to his climbing bike?

Again, I don't like bike changes and would prefer they didn't.

If you people stationed at the bike change point with road bikes for the entire team then the rider can make the decision close to that time if he hadn't already decided.

According to: http://www.climbing-records.com/search?q=Mirador

2016:1,8 km@13,9%---6:53---average speed 15.69 km/h(Ruben Fernandez)
2013:1,8 km@13,9%---8:00---average speed 13.50 km/h(Roche-Flecha)
2012:1,8 km@13,9%---6:46---average speed 15.96 km/h(Joaquim Rodriguez)

Rogla surely has the upper hand on the flat piece.
Wasn't that convincing yesterday though and, generally, fares better when paced on a slope.
32 k's is a solid length... can be gained considerably, but by what price.
Ézaro requires rhythm and dedicated reserve.

I'd, certainly, take a breather before tackling the climb... 3-5 minutes to knock the pulse down.
Ah yes who could forget that. The one day where we all thought after many disappointments, Ruben Fernandez has finally had his big breakthrough performance. From there onwards he was gonna be a force to be reckoned with...

Is he actually even still riding?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Even if I try really hard, I just can't understand how people can feel so strongly about a bike change.

They change a bike. So the hell what?
Because IT IS pathetic. Once Riders we're going 300km stages on 20 kg Bikes with No gears. Nö they can't even Ride 34 km without changing Bikes. IT IS s an insult to the culture of the Sport. Plus IT puts insane and unnecessary pressure and Stress on the mechanics.

Reactions: spalco and Vesica
Ah yes who could forget that. The one day where we all thought after many disappointments, Ruben Fernandez has finally had his big breakthrough performance. From there onwards he was gonna be a force to be reckoned with...

Is he actually even still riding?
PCS saying Cofidis contracted him for the next two seasons.
Not bad results this year under Euskaltel - Euskadi. Probably been tied by helping hand at Movi.

• Wow
Even if I try really hard, I just can't understand how people can feel so strongly about a bike change.

They change a bike. So the hell what?
It's daft.

It looks stupid.

When they get off the bikes, it take away from the whole "racing on bikes" that the sport is/should be about.

Henri Desgrange would be rolling in his grave.

I realise that there are a million and one other innovations in the sport that would cause the same reaction by Desgrange's corpse, but I just think the bike change is one too far.

Regardless of the changing bikes or not thing, I don't like this murito at the end; a stupid - though admittedly very Vueltaesque - gimmick.

It's almost as bad as those who would want no more than a prologue in the entire three weeks, because Primoz Roglic has the audacity/ability to keep up with their precious pure climbers on the upteenth number of mountain stages.

in my recent PCM career i won this TT with Bob Jungels , however the more interesting thing was that on saturday, Roglic completely cracked and lost the vuelta (dropped from 1st to 3rd), Carapaz finished second and i won overall with Bob

...and sometimes life imitates art (minus the Jungles part) - so are you ready for Hugh Carthy the Vuelta champion?

For those complaining about the murito, it's not as bad as that opening TTT a few years ago in which they were racing on a boardwalk for a few KMs with sand on it. Granted the murito is typical Vuelta, but they have had more insane things, like the boardwalk, and then there was the marble or whatever it was road in 2015 (if I remember right).

Reactions: Carols
Regardless of the changing bikes or not thing, I don't like this murito at the end; a stupid - though admittedly very Vueltaesque - gimmick.

It's almost as bad as those who would want no more than a prologue in the entire three weeks, because Primoz Roglic has the audacity/ability to keep up with their precious pure climbers on the upteenth number of mountain stages.
For (IMO, in that I don’t often hear of people praising it) a really underrated TT design;

Of course, by “design,” I mean a conversation that probably went “how far is it around the lake? About 40km?” “Yes, and there’s a nice little cat3 on the East shore.” “Well that’s our stage 18, I guess.”

For (IMO, in that I don’t often hear of people praising it) a really underrated TT design;

Of course, by “design,” I mean a conversation that probably went “how far is it around the lake? About 40km?” “Yes, and there’s a nice little cat3 on the East shore.” “Well that’s our stage 18, I guess.”

Yes, that was very good. As was the shorter stage 1 ITT.

Now if only the TTT was another ITT, and those Pyrenees stages hadn't had too many flat kms before the finish, then we have a decent overall route.

It's daft.

It looks stupid.

When they get off the bikes, it take away from the whole "racing on bikes" that the sport is/should be about.

Henri Desgrange would be rolling in his grave.

I realise that there are a million and one other innovations in the sport that would cause the same reaction by Desgrange's corpse, but I just think the bike change is one too far.

I don't think riders getting off bikes was such a concern for Desgrange personally. His route designs definitely led to riders "racing off bikes"!

Desgrange.jpg

(Although of course changing bikes would have been a no-go. The riders should have welded the bars themselves should they have wanted a change from aero bars to drops :) )

TRENDING THREADS