• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2021: Stage 2 (Caleruega - Burgos, 166.7 km)

Wasn't expecting to be the one to make a thread today as I've been away until now, but here goes.

The route

d2ee8

6dad9

Another hot day. These early sprint stages all traverse exposed terrain, but the wind forecast for tomorrow looks pretty meh. In addition, this is the first of five sprint stages without any categorised climbing whatsoever...

0bf57

The little climb inside the final 5 kilometres is unthreatening, consisting of 800 metres at 3.8%. The final left-hander comes at 1.5 kilometres from the line, with a series of sweeping roundabouts and a switch to the opposite side of the road that causes a chicane which doesn't look too tight preceding it. All in all, pretty straightforward for the sprinters' teams, weather permitting.

Why would the broomwagen be somewhat far away from the actual race? If you DNF you have to hike ~10 km to get assistance? How do they know if they missed a rider? Like say their radio stops working? So many questions.
I believe it’s the route the team buses takes along with anything/anyone else that’s not needed during the race but has to get set up in the arrival town and be ready when the riders finish.

Reactions: Carols and SHAD0W93
I hope Démare will finally show, why he dominated the Giro sprints last year. He looked good before the Tour, though he didn't win against the best sprinters, apart from a subpar Ewan. He was unlucky in the Tour, but hopefully he is close to his best again now.