• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2021: Stage 7 (Gandia - Balcón de Alicante, 152.0 km)

The first stage with multiple actual climbs. This being Valencia, it comes as no surprise that the major mountains still elude us for a little longer, but this should still be a good day of racing.

694dd

Climbs
Puerto La Llacuna
CombaE.gif

Beniarrés (first 6.8k only)
BeniarresS.gif

Puerto de Benilloba (first 2.9k of profile 1 + 1.5k at 3.3% + final 1.5 of profile 2)
carrasquetaporalcoi90.gif

RevolcatW.gif

Puerto de Tudons
TudonsBenillobaAlcoleja.png

Puerto El Collao (final 16.4k only)
TorremanzanasE.gif

Puerto de Tibi (final 5.4k only)
TibiE.gif

Balcón de Alicante
balcon-de-alicante-tibi.png

Better profile of the steep part:
BalconDeAlicante.gif

The first stage with multiple actual climbs. This being Valencia, it comes as no surprise that the major mountains still elude us for a little longer, but this should still be a good day of racing.

694dd

Climbs
Puerto La Llacuna
CombaE.gif

Beniarrés (first 6.8k only)
BeniarresS.gif

Puerto de Benilloba (first 2.9k of profile 1 + 1.5k at 3.3% + final 1.5 of profile 2)
carrasquetaporalcoi90.gif

RevolcatW.gif

Puerto de Tudons
TudonsBenillobaAlcoleja.png

Puerto El Collao (final 16.4k only)
TorremanzanasE.gif

Puerto de Tibi (final 5.4k only)
TibiE.gif

Balcón de Alicante
balcon-de-alicante-tibi.png

Better profile of the steep part:
BalconDeAlicante.gif
In my opinion this is far easier than Xorret de Catí

XorretDeCatiN.gif

I think the little flats inbetween steep pinches are very important. Also Xorret has a full km at 15%, Balcón de alicante has like 200m at that gradient.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Roglic or Bernal. Mas third. Movistar should attack on the last climb, they have the GC threats to play with it now before they lose one or two.
Before.

They need to isolate Roglic early in the stage, and then start sending guys up the road that Roglic will have to chase. Preferably in the company of an Ineos rider (but not Carapaz obv) who Roglic will also have to chase.

If this all happens on the final climb, it will be too late to have an impact.

This will also be a good stage for sending guys in the break (Erviti, Oliveira/Pidcok, van Baarle/but also Oomen/Hofstede)

Before.

They need to isolate Roglic early in the stage, and then start sending guys up the road that Roglic will have to chase. Preferably in the company of an Ineos rider (but not Carapaz obv) who Roglic will also have to chase.

This will also be a good stage for sending guys in the break (Erviti, Oliveira/Pidcok, van Baarle/but also Oomen/Hofstede)
I think Padun + Yates/Carapaz + Valverde should go long range on Collao if Roglic is isolated or only with Kuss.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Before.

Movistar might sacrifice Valverde by attacking wary but no way they have Mas or Lopez attack before the last climb. Ineos and Movistar can isolate Roglic before the second to last climb and I can see Carapaz or Yates attacking on that climb.

Movistar might sacrifice Valverde by attacking wary but no way they have Mas or Lopez attack before the last climb. Ineos and Movistar can isolate Roglic before the second to last climb and I can see Carapaz or Yates attacking on that climb.
Probably Yates. Like I said, Carapaz going will just trigger a Movistar chase, and would render isolating Roglic a pointless exercise.

TRENDING THREADS