• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2021: Stage 7 (Gandia - Balcón de Alicante, 152.0 km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
But Movistar chasing or Ineos and/or Movistar setting a high pace will isolate Roglic if the team rides like in stage 3. Roglic isn’t working if it’s not on the last climb if he is solo.
I'm saying if Roglic is isolated, and Carapaz attacks, Movistar will chase Carapaz down and Roglic won't have to do anything.

If Roglic is isolated before the final climb and the attacks start coming (from Bahrain, Ineos, Movi, whoever) then he will have to react to some of them. He already lost a Giro by not chasing a Movistar rider, he won't want to make that mistake again.

I'm saying if Roglic is isolated, and Carapaz attacks, Movistar will chase Carapaz down and Roglic won't have to do anything.

If Roglic is isolated before the final climb and the attacks start coming (from Bahrain, Ineos, Movi, whoever) then he will have to react to some of them. He already lost a Giro by not chasing a Movistar rider, he won't want to make that mistake again.
We said this every time about trying to with Froome isolated. The gaps are still close enough that other teams aren’t going to let a Movistar/Ineos/Landa get away. The way to break him when he is isolated is to repeatedly attack with your leaders on the last climb so Roglic has to respond.

Reactions: Koronin
Yes but it wasn't in the first week of a GT
Whether it’s a good race strategy or not, I’m hoping that for our entertainment value at least one team starts driving it hard from several climbs out so that we end up with multiple chasing groups. Medium-mountain stages like this can be great, and in this case there is no hard stage the next day. And I don’t think the finish climb is so daunting that fear of blowing up on a steep final climb should be a big factor. Though you never know in today’s peloton!

Astana causes a split on the 2a downhill, Roglic and Carthy happen to be in the group. Movistar and Ineos frantically try to close but it's not enough. Roglic gifts stage to Aranburu for doing the rounds.

Wait a second..

Gaudu is in the race but under disguise all this time! Carthy gets dropped and Roglic gifts the stage to Gaudu.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Interesting will be the first mountain and who tries to go in the break. There are still a lot of second tier GC riders close in the GC, so I think a lot of them will try to go in the break, especially because the leader team won´t have the manpower to chase a strong break. Also interesting will be Ineos, Bahrain and Movistar's approach here. Bahrain could send Padun, Mäder, Haig or Poels in the break. Movistar and Ineos will have the problem, that the other teams won´t let espcape their top riders (Lopez, Mas, Valverde and Bernal, Yates, Carapaz). To send teammates in the break as Relais stations doesn´t make that much sence today, because there is no big mountain in the middle of the stage, where a leader could bridge to his teammate.

If I was Movistar I'd decide on whether to support Mas or Lopez for GC, make the race a bit harder so that all Jumbos are dropped, send Valverde off early, then send the lesser GC rider on an attack when the field is small, and then, when Roglic has spent his enery chasing, go for a real time gain with my major GC rider.
But since they are them they will try to hold on with all three as long as possible and then attack randomly a bit close to the finish, so that in the end they are still up there with the team but don't have a chance for the win.

If I was Movistar I'd decide on whether to support Mas or Lopez for GC, make the race a bit harder so that all Jumbos are dropped, send Valverde off early, then send the lesser GC rider on an attack when the field is small, and then, when Roglic has spent his enery chasing, go for a real time gain with my major GC rider.

I understand the idea, but I think it's way too early in the race to make this decision. For the second and third week it makes more sense to me to keep Mas and Lopez as high as possible in GC right now.

Reactions: Eeslliw
E9Of2XIWUAAK4y1

Roglic would just call their bluff and as soon as Valverde gets too big of a gap, Mas and/or Lopez would start chasing him :p
I don't think Roglic should be too worried about Valverde yet anyway, so giving the jersey away to him and Movistar would not necessarily be a bad idea.

Also these climbs are not really hard enough for Mas and Lopez to drop Roglic, and it should also be difficult to drop the whole Jumbo team early on.