• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2023, stage 2: Mataró - Barcelona, 181.8k

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The logical endpoint to this is a Grand Tour in UAE and Saudi with the big mountain climbs having motorway standard tarmac and width the size of a small ocean.

A decent looking early race stage has been rendered a pointless and unpleasant club ride in wet weather gear for zero gain as the stage win will be a tainted prize.
No. Too dangerous. The logical endpoint is exercise bikes in gyms. Or maybe even dialling it in from home

And... if when the race arrives in Barcelona it is no longer raining and the asphalt is in good condition... what will happen? why is this decision made now and not (for example) an hour before the end...? You cannot know now how the weather conditions will be at 5 in the afternoon
Shouldn't matter. Don't go changing the race during the race. Thats just messing with the fans.

Anyway, rain fans should be watching the Tour of Scandinavia where its currently biblical.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The vuelta organisers are determined to undermine the prestige of their race, already this small grand tour is no longer on the level of tour or Giro. Last year they do a route easier than tour de l'avenir with 130km Hill stages and this year they just make stupid mickeymouse processional neutralised stages.

Just put the race at a normal time , not at night, and do normal stages with no neutralisation or weird gimmicks. Stop penalising riders who do well in bad weather. If the conditions are really bad during the race they can neutralise gc, but going back and forth before the start using some kind of crystal ball is stupid.

I don't wish for riders to end their race in absurd conditions, but you can't predict what will happen at the end of the day in the morning.

Things are made worse by rider representatives and organisers always pandering to random twitter users who are constantly trying to get engagement and keep recycling the same discussions

Please bring me back the big classics, tour flanders, Paris roubaix, lombardia, world championships. Real showmen of the sport pogacar, Van der poel, alaphilippe, masnada, Van baarle, sagan, remco going head to head

Last edited:
The Giro was far worse. 'This descent is too dangerous! we refuse to race down it' 'how about we shorten the stage instead but the descent stays?' 'DEAL!!'

I'm all for giving the riders what they want when it comes to safety. but they do make themselves look like idiots at times. But better to be an idiot than in a ditch. I don't mind what they're doing today, no-ones going to remember this stage in a few weeks. They identified a problem before the stage started, did something about it & will still put on a show for the fans watching from the road. A good solution.
Who will put on a show? The GC riders will most likely take it easy, and then we are left with Gregoire, Kron and what not fighting for the stage. Might as well be stage 1 of Vuelta a Andalucia were watching.

Yesterday they needed TT bikes. Today, the DS cars could bring the water bikes on the roof.
They'll probably get through it.
I mean, they have to. It's my first free 8 hours in two years, opportunity to watch full bike race.
It's enough that the broadcasters apparently drowned their brains not willing os to show us the start, but please : get it on, under all curcumstances.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited: