• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a Espana Stage 1: Benidorm TTT 13.5km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Waterloo Sunrise said:
The traditional sprinter led TTT teams are going to struggle using that approach when the hill right at the start means you either drop those guys or pace to keep them with you and lose too much to catch up.

What is it? 3km at 5%? HTC, who would be overwhelming favourites on a flat course, should still be OK with that. They only really have Cavendish who may struggle, as their other faster men, Goss and Degenkolb, for example, are the sort of guys who can climb a bit. And besides, it's right at the start of the course, when everyone will be fresh.

I think the overall tactic would be to use the better climbers on the hill and then the faster men thereafter, rather than the usual continuous 9 man line with the front guy going to the back after his turn.

I'm still going for HTC.

I think HTC will be very motivated to win as it's their last season and to atone for their TDF TTT. I can only see RS and Sky challenging them realistically. Liquigas and Garmin will be there but Liquigas were surprising in the TDF and Garmin have no real motors.
Movistar might go ok as well as Lampre along with Geox. AG2R and Euskatel will fail. Katusha might have gone ok if they did not have to drag JROD with them.

icefire said:
To ACF:

I expected a bit more flair with the OP

discoteca-benidorm.jpg

Andy would have enjoyed the stage. I'm sure Fabo will.

Expected temperature is about 30ºC, so significantly lower than last year in Sevilla. I wish we had a nightly TTT this year as well.

You make them if you do not like his jks.

Perfect partying conditions for Andy here

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
17:02 Skil-Shimano
17:06 Garmin-Cervélo
17:10 Quick Step
17:14 Astana
17:18 Cofidis
17:22 BMC
17:26 Leopard-Trek
17:30 Rabobank
17:34 Vacansoleil-DCM
17:38 RadioShack
17:42 Andalucía-Caja Granada
17:46 Omega Pharma-Lotto
17:50 Saxo Bank-SunGard
17:54 AG2R-La Mondiale
17:58 Sky
18:02 Lampre-ISD
18:06 Movistar Team
18:10 Katusha
18:14 HTC-Highroad
18:18 Geox-TMC
18:22 Euskaltel-Euskadi
18:26 Liquigas-Cannondale

Kittel in the virtual yellow for about 2 minutes? :D

luckyboy said:
Garmin wins tomorrow probably.

I don't know about that. I mean, they are always good in TTTs, but by their standards they don't have a strong TTT squad at the Vuelta at all. Plus, they will have Martin as a passenger (although he might be of some use in the first few kms up the hill). They'll still wallop the likes of Euskaltel, but I find it hard to see them winning.

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
The hill creates a very interesting dynamic - whoever wins is likely to have a pretty decent 7th best climber.

It felt a lot harder than 5%, I think because the first pitch from the underpass @ 100 meters in, to the 1st traffic circle is about 10%, to the 2nd maybe 8% then easier.