• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Weight Weenies on here

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
My Friend Kevin. Has his own custom shop http://www.crypticcycles.com/
He's very talented.

The frame is a 56 cm weighs 660grms :eek:

4baa5f_5b21b84ad9c84aa8849994b343abca38.jpg

88672260-DCD9-4F22-AB68-7F0BD657B257_zpsyilyikjt.jpg

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
4baa5f_5b21b84ad9c84aa8849994b343abca38.jpg

I like that Ray, I like that a lot. MUCH nicer than all this aero rubbish.

Kevin really is doing some amazing stuff. He has some special layups of his own and uses various types of carbon. He knows his stuff.
His BB jig is very clever and even had questions from some of the best known custom builders.

Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Bustedknuckle said:
42x16ss said:
The new Fuji SL 1.1

4.96kg as pictured:

16_FUJI_SL_1.1_SIDE.jpg

Ride magazine liked it:

http://www.ridemedia.com.au/features/bike-test-04-ride-70-fuji/

The scariest thing is that there's no really unusual components, just high end stuff.

What no etap? No discs?-fail :)
Lol :D

Add Dura Ace or Record instead of SRAM, some bottle holders, wheels that can be trued and a computer (if you use them) and it's still well and truly under 6 kgs :eek:

Then add some pedals, and you can actually ride it.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I tell ya KB, you cannot beat heading skyward on a light bike. You will feel like you have gears in hand. For me I just can't ride anything " normal weight" Mind you if I was a pure sprinter t would be different.

Re:

ray j willings said:
I tell ya KB, you cannot beat heading skyward on a light bike. You will feel like you have gears in hand. For me I just can't ride anything " normal weight" Mind you if I was a pure sprinter t would be different.
I kind of get that, but it just doesn't rate highly on what I want from a bike ride. I have got some carbon forks in the post for my fixed wheel, but they were free. :D

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

King Boonen said:
ray j willings said:
I kind of get that, but it just doesn't rate highly on what I want from a bike ride. I have got some carbon forks in the post for my fixed wheel, but they were free. :D

You should give us a review of the forks on you bike. Be interesting comparison.

ray j willings said:
King Boonen said:
ray j willings said:

You should give us a review of the forks on you bike. Be interesting comparison.

Planning to fella :) They're 2007 Trek/Bontrager forks, aluminium steerer and dropouts, carbon legs. Guessing they'll drop about 0.5-1 kg in weight from the bike. From what I can find the rake is the same (They're basically the same era as my Fillmore which is a 2008) so should be a very good comparison. As they're nearly 10 years old the likelihood is if I like the weight reduction I'll sell them on very cheap and pick up some Columbus Tusks or something if they fit. Main worry is my headset, there is an external band that might be an issue but we shall see!

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

King Boonen said:
ray j willings said:
King Boonen said:
ray j willings said:

Planning to fella :) They're 2007 Trek/Bontrager forks, aluminium steerer and dropouts, carbon legs. Guessing they'll drop about 0.5-1 kg in weight from the bike. From what I can find the rake is the same (They're basically the same era as my Fillmore which is a 2008) so should be a very good comparison. As they're nearly 10 years old the likelihood is if I like the weight reduction I'll sell them on very cheap and pick up some Columbus Tusks or something if they fit. Main worry is my headset, there is an external band that might be an issue but we shall see!

The original bontrager carbon forks [2003/4] on my Trek were very good. The only headset issue with the Trek was the lower headset bearing, it was built into the frame "supposed to lose weight" I hammered the whole thing out so I could fit normal bearings much better. I would imagine your forks being a later model would be better than mine. Bontrager/Trek make some pretty nice stuff.

ray j willings said:
The original bontrager carbon forks [2003/4] on my Trek were very good. The only headset issue with the Trek was the lower headset bearing, it was built into the frame "supposed to lose weight" I hammered the whole thing out so I could fit normal bearings much better. I would imagine your forks being a later model would be better than mine. Bontrager/Trek make some pretty nice stuff.
Think I might have lucked out on these, they look very, very nice:

01ad65f9-c958-46b3-a280-67063c288c7d_zpswsaygpbd.jpg

Even better in person.