• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Weight Weenies on here

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

VeloFidelis said:
Dude you're amazing! I've no doubt that you'd kick Ryder's ass too. Because, you know... at an average of 800km a week, like he, you've earned that position. And damn if it doesn't look really fast.

I don't really understand why you are insulting me and making childish remarks.
That's the positon that suits me best and allows me to ride at my best. I like to be stretched out. You see a lot of riders who hunch up and complain about sore back ,sore neck, saddle sores etc. I don't get any body issues and I can definitely ride easier and stronger in this position in or out of the drops.

You could have asked me about my bike set up and I would have been happy to explain, instead you seem intent on being not very nice to me for no reason whatsoever that I can see.
Don't worry about my position. It does not effect you in any way.

Re:

VeloFidelis said:
Dude you're amazing! I've no doubt that you'd kick Ryder's ass too. Because, you know... at an average of 800km a week, like he, you've earned that position. And damn if it doesn't look really fast.
What? You want him to apologise for having good back flexibility? Plenty of people can ride an aggressive position comfortably, not just pros :confused:

Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
VeloFidelis said:
What? You want him to apologise for having good back flexibility? Plenty of people can ride an aggressive position comfortably, not just pros :confused:

There are a lot of things about RJW's bike that are not to my taste (to say the least), but the riding position is not one of them. If the position works for him, then it does. It's not for us to say otherwise, is it?

Your position is solely your business, and a product of your experience and influences. You are obviously a cyclist with a focus on detail. To be sure, the bike pictured has some most impressive and note worthy features; like a carbon seat / seatpost combo with no possible adjustment for setback or attitude. How fortunate you are, to have found one that meets both of those exacting needs for your body on that frame.

While I realize my advancing age exposes some of my more traditional opinions regarding fit, there are a few basic parameters that are hard to dispute. As in; when your frame has a horizontal top tube, and your exposed seatpost length is closing in on half the length of your seat tube, or when your awesome slammed 130mm stem is actually longer than your head tube... you just might be riding a frame that's too small. Which is fine!... most Pros do.

A few decades of professional proximity to pro teams and their riders has consistently demonstrated to me, a penchant for superstition and peer pressure among their ranks. The smallest possible frame is the lightest and stiffest. Huge bar drop is a concession to pack riding and aerodynamics, usually at the expense of comfort, because riding for a pay check is different from riding. Interestingly most Pros frame size and position in retirement are considerably different. I still share a some road miles every year with a few ex-Pros who will gladly acknowledge that fact.

So, my message is very simple... and not an attack. When you get ready to finally hang up your racing wheels, and join the middle aged mortals who still enjoy the sport... you may find some use for the link I have provided.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

VeloFidelis said:
Your position is solely your business, and a product of your experience and influences. You are obviously a cyclist with a focus on detail. To be sure, the bike pictured has some most impressive and note worthy features; like a carbon seat / seatpost combo with no possible adjustment for setback or attitude. How fortunate you are, to have found one that meets both of those exacting needs for your body on that frame.

While I realize my advancing age exposes some of my more traditional opinions regarding fit, there are a few basic parameters that are hard to dispute. As in; when your frame has a horizontal top tube, and your exposed seatpost length is closing in on half the length of your seat tube, or when your awesome slammed 130mm stem is actually longer than your head tube... you just might be riding a frame that's too small. Which is fine!... most Pros do.

A few decades of professional proximity to pro teams and their riders has consistently demonstrated to me, a penchant for superstition and peer pressure among their ranks. The smallest possible frame is the lightest and stiffest. Huge bar drop is a concession to pack riding and aerodynamics, usually at the expense of comfort, because riding for a pay check is different from riding. Interestingly most Pros frame size and position in retirement are considerably different. I still share a some road miles every year with a few ex-Pros who will gladly acknowledge that fact.

So, my message is very simple... and not an attack. When you get ready to finally hang up your racing wheels, and join the middle aged mortals who still enjoy the sport... you may find some use for the link I have provided.

The seat post combo is custom made. Its my favourite saddle and I use the same set up on my other bike that I am currently building. My friend Ed makes and repairs carbon bikes and helps me with my builds.
I ride this positon because it is comfortable, not influence or style. In-fact its only the recent years that I actually like the way my bike looks. I was a Armstrong fan and he was no slammer. I'm not really into long rides but have done many with one of my mates who rides at least one major French sportive every year. I have been out with him for 100 mile + rides on quite a few occasions and my position is perfect for me. No issues
I'm sure many retired sportsman change their habits but no offence, that's their choice not mine. I set my bike up for me. I have been riding that Trek for quite a few years and the riding position has been the same for nearly all of them. I had a similar position when I was a cycle courier back in the day.
I'm not exactly a spring chicken by the way . I have a wife and 2 sons and I don't plan on using your link " no offence"
Here's a glimpse of my other bike that's not quite finished.

rxwl3Jtl.jpg

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

VeloFidelis said:
Ouch!... err... I mean... Good for you, awesome ride! I'm sure it will be very light.

It is very light but its also rides very well. Its extra stiff in some areas "my choice, custom frame advantage"
It is so stable on decents you would not believe for such a light frame.[ 740grms before seatpost combo was added] The frame could have been lighter but areas such as the BB I prefer to be stiff. I don't mind a bit flex in other areas IMO it makes a bike more forgiving. The type of carbon used and the lays up really are incredible now.
I love my Trek but the Guru is a real step forward in development in comparison.
I have another friend Kevin whos just started making his own frames and custom parts http://www.crypticcycles.com/
He his really doing some amazing stuff "very talented" some unique layups and using advanced carbon materials. The frame in the photo on his site is a 56cm and weighs 660grms and rides incredible.
I love riding super light bikes but they do have to handle well and be functional. Its getting a sensible balance.
A lot people ago ouch when they see my seats :D its surprisingly comfy.
cheers

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
Decided this belonged here, if any pros use it then it could go in the pro gear thread. Ciamillos Gravitas Crankset looking production ready?

ciamillo-carbon-fiber-crankset-prototype-2012-12-600x419.jpg

Great looking crankset. Unfortunately, these low-volume manufacturers find it hard/impossible to forge their alloy bits (hideously expensive for low-volume runs), so are left with CNC that won't produce a part as strong and light.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
Decided this belonged here, if any pros use it then it could go in the pro gear thread. Ciamillos Gravitas Crankset looking production ready?

ciamillo-carbon-fiber-crankset-prototype-2012-12-600x419.jpg

Ted who makes these as well as his famous brakes was selling the first prototypes on the WW site 2013
I would not touch them with a barge pole. I can tell you there have been endless complaints about Ciamillo on the WW site , brakes ,cranks, no refunds no email responses etc . Below is one thread on the Crank .
It seems that Ted who makes this stuff is a pretty small time operation i.e. Ted and just does not have the staff to deal with customer service and a bigger production output. Buy at your peril.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=111978

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
42x16ss said:
The new Fuji SL 1.1

4.96kg as pictured:

16_FUJI_SL_1.1_SIDE.jpg

Ride magazine liked it:

http://www.ridemedia.com.au/features/bike-test-04-ride-70-fuji/

The scariest thing is that there's no really unusual components, just high end stuff.

Exact Frame weight is hard to get . Some say its 709grms some say 740grms could be due to frame size weighed or weight without paint. hanger etc , Same for forks some have the forks at 280grms some at 310grms, I would guess frame size/steerer length.

So many crazy light frames now being made.

ray j willings said:
42x16ss said:
The new Fuji SL 1.1

4.96kg as pictured:

16_FUJI_SL_1.1_SIDE.jpg

Ride magazine liked it:

http://www.ridemedia.com.au/features/bike-test-04-ride-70-fuji/

The scariest thing is that there's no really unusual components, just high end stuff.

Exact Frame weight is hard to get . Some say its 709grms some say 740grms could be due to frame size weighed or weight without paint. hanger etc , Same for forks some have the forks at 280grms some at 310grms, I would guess frame size/steerer length.

So many crazy light frames now being made.
Ride magazine totally strip, weigh and rebuild all bikes tested (so they can see the quality of the build and frame finish) and I think it came very close to the advertised weight.