• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Weight Weenies on here

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

StryderHells said:
They are a great set of forks mate as i've used them on an old bike before so can speak from experience, they also just look good!!! Nice Work!

Woohoo, thanks for the commet! Sounds brilliant. They have a tiny bit of very light scuffing on you can see under a bright light and the dropouts need a polish but other than that they look perfect, very obviously well looked after and no damage. I reckon due to the oversized shape they may look a bit strange under the headtube on my Lemond (might stick out a little bit) but I don't really care about that.

They do look awesome :D

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
StryderHells said:
They are a great set of forks mate as i've used them on an old bike before so can speak from experience, they also just look good!!! Nice Work!

Woohoo, thanks for the commet! Sounds brilliant. They have a tiny bit of very light scuffing on you can see under a bright light and the dropouts need a polish but other than that they look perfect, very obviously well looked after and no damage. I reckon due to the oversized shape they may look a bit strange under the headtube on my Lemond (might stick out a little bit) but I don't really care about that.

KB , if they are scuffed. Lightly sand with wet and dry a very very fine grit, the whole forks, so they will look even.
Then spray with some clear coat 1 or 2 fine layers and they will look like new.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
4.7grm ww aluminium bike :eek: . Just shows you that parts can seriously bring the weight down . Frame weighs 1200 grms
Fork not so bad at 350grms still not WW though.
Nich-Kem17.jpg

Nich%20Kem9.jpg

Nich%20Kem11.jpg

Re: Re:

ray j willings said:
King Boonen said:
StryderHells said:

KB , if they are scuffed. Lightly sand with wet and dry a very very fine grit, the whole forks, so they will look even.
Then spray with some clear coat 1 or 2 fine layers and they will look like new.

It's hard enough seeing it in the first place so I reckon they should be fine :) They'll get covered in crap anyway the first time I go for a ride, even if it's sunny!

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
ray j willings said:
My friend Kevin just won best new frame builder at NAHBS . You can see more at bike radar and bike rumour.
if you want a awesome custom bike http://Www.crypticcycles.com

The frame is 690grms painted 56cm.

EE143704-596A-418E-8A4A-EE0514DCE1FD_zpsras1nnnh.jpg

77015CEF-8D3E-4FF6-9924-A07CF9E96059_zpsxbuqjzdo.jpg

Pricing? Couldn't find it on the site.

Consumer direct?

Time frame?

if your serious then send kevin a email. Frames are custom made so what you are asking would depend on your build.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
That's very cool! Good for him. Tell him his website needs some work though.

Seems to be all completely custom work BK, so I'm guessing pricing has to be discussed, it's probably even harder to estimate a base price than steel work I would think.

Kevin uses the highest quality carbons and hi tech materials and he also lays the carbon up in his own way. He has great skill.
He really is making cutting edge frames and you get the frame to your exact requirements.
The bike in the show has boron mixed with the carbon to create a very stiff frame and super light frame.
Kevin also spent quite a bit of time with one of the most legendary bike builders in the world.
He really knows his stuff and is at the cutting edge. He will make you or anyone a frame that will be better or equal to the best custom builders out there.
That's why he won.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
ray j willings said:
I'm well into getting my bikes as crazy light as possible. Any other WW's on here want to chat about crazy light bike parts. self made or bought or any ideas to make parts lighter?

I have pretty good knowledge about this stuff and be happy to share what I know.

I don't get the whole weight weenie thing, of course I know a lighter bike goes faster up a hill but really there are diminishing returns when you have a decent current model bike frame with Dura-Ace or Record / SR on it and light wheels.

In that spec you should end up with a bike around 6.2 to 6.5 kg give or take a bit. What's the point of lightening it any further with potentially inferior equipment?

I guess the response to your questions is where do you go from there, what do you buy to make your bike lighter still?

Edit: Let me quote an example of inferior but lighter equipment I saw on weight weenies once. Some goon put a carbon chain ring on his bike, just because it was lighter.

ray j willings said:
Bustedknuckle said:
ray j willings said:
My friend Kevin just won best new frame builder at NAHBS . You can see more at bike radar and bike rumour.
if you want a awesome custom bike http://Www.crypticcycles.com

The frame is 690grms painted 56cm.

Pricing? Couldn't find it on the site.

Consumer direct?

Time frame?

if your serious then send kevin a email. Frames are custom made so what you are asking would depend on your build.

Just asking a question..the info isn't on his web site.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
BK
Pricing? Couldn't find it on the site.? That would depend on the type of carbon etc etc so you would need to email.

Consumer direct? If you get Kevin to make a bike he will send it to you.

Time frame? That would depend on the specific build and how many bikes Kevin is making.

winkybiker said:
ray j willings said:
My friend Ed, who is a carbon master. He has built my seat post combos and bar stem combos and helped me customise my WW bikes. He his building 58cm frames under 700grms
You can see more of his incredible work in this article in bike rumour http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/03/03/nahbs-2016-tsubasa-pares-down-carbon-construction-to-the-minimum/#more-123242

Tsubasa-carbon-and-kevlar-honeycomb-road-bike01-600x400.jpg

Tsubasa-carbon-and-kevlar-honeycomb-road-bike02-400x600.jpg
Tsubasa-carbon-and-kevlar-honeycomb-road-bike04-600x442.jpg

I couldn't live with bike that looked like this. It could weigh 200g and I'd still pass.
Yeah, the weight is impressive but I'd prefer to see the lugs join a little more smoothly, even if it means a few more grams.

That cryptic frame is nice though, especially for something so light.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
winkybiker said:
ray j willings said:
My friend Ed, who is a carbon master. He has built my seat post combos and bar stem combos and helped me customise my WW bikes. He his building 58cm frames under 700grms
You can see more of his incredible work in this article in bike rumour http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/03/03/nahbs-2016-tsubasa-pares-down-carbon-construction-to-the-minimum/#more-123242

Tsubasa-carbon-and-kevlar-honeycomb-road-bike01-600x400.jpg

Tsubasa-carbon-and-kevlar-honeycomb-road-bike02-400x600.jpg
Tsubasa-carbon-and-kevlar-honeycomb-road-bike04-600x442.jpg

I couldn't live with bike that looked like this. It could weigh 200g and I'd still pass.

You don't have to . The idea is to show off the carbon and where on the bike its benifcial . The honeycomb carbon was designed by Ed. It incredibly light and stiff. Ed showed me some of the carbon when I was over one of his workshops and it was incredible, the Honey effect [dimples] also helps with aero.

If you looked at the links you would see its about layups and stiffness for such light bikes. The other road bike on the link was the raven. Layup on that on is incredible looks like paper strips but its all done for strength and stiffness for such a light frame 58cm under 700grms :eek:

Ed could easily make a 650grm 54cm all painted up and looking like a production bike.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: My other WW bike

Bustedknuckle said:
ray j willings said:
I hope you don't all get upset and angry but WTF click down the bottom of the page and you will see my Guru leaning against a bench. Its a big photo for a bonkers light bike.
enjoy or be jealous :D

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=136893&start=165

2 chainrings and front der?

Yeah 2 carbon chain-ring's [53-40] and my own custom made carbon front mech.
like I said before when I posted my trek. I want my bikes to look like a racing bike and not a hipster bike.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: My other WW bike

ray j willings said:
Bustedknuckle said:
ray j willings said:
I hope you don't all get upset and angry but WTF click down the bottom of the page and you will see my Guru leaning against a bench. Its a big photo for a bonkers light bike.
enjoy or be jealous :D

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=136893&start=165

2 chainrings and front der?

Yeah 2 carbon chain-ring's [53-40] and my own custom made carbon front mech.
like I said before when I posted my trek. I want my bikes to look like a racing bike and not a hipster bike.

Most racing bikes have handlebar tape :rolleyes: