• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What is your favourite suplement?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
My top three are a good quality protein, Acetyl L Carnitine to keep the fat burning and Gen Tec's Thermo Fuel to fully power workouts. You can probably work out from this that I am a Clydesdale but I love being strong and don't really want to get my weight too low at the expense of power.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The only things I use are a good protein powder because it's hard to get protein in at every meal, and a vitamin pack from Nature Made.

I'd like to use a drink mix on the bike, but I find they're too expensive. So I just add a pinch of salt to my bottles and use real food like sandwiches and bananas for fuel when I ride.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I take a general multi-vitamin and fish oil. On the bike, if its race day or a hard ride I use Cytomax in one bottle. I will drink a Cytomax pre-ride for the same reasons. Another WAY cheaper option is generic maltodextrin, absorbed rapidly as glucose. Works like a charm and super-cheap, I have seen it online and at my local beer-making store. Post-ride, I have some Accelerade I'm using up, or lactose-free chocolate milk. I like Clif Blocs and Gu... although I just scored some refill-sized Hammer Gel, gotta get one of their reusable bottles. All good for the kick or shot of energy (20-30min)

Personally, I've started carrying normal food on longer rides on the advice of a teammate. Sliced apples, bagel, PB&J (messy) :D bananas, etc. Seems to sit well and work better than some of the other stuff at least on longer rides.

-Cody

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
On rides I like normalish food like bananas, sandwiches, pizza, biscuits. For drink I use diluted fresh juice to give about 7% carb. Prefer orange juice with added water plus salt. I now use low calcium salt since it contains sodium and potassium. I have never proved it but my experience and gut feeling is that salt balance is important to help with preventing or reducing arrhythmias. I once had a mate have a really bad day in the Alps on just water. It took a good 24 hours to recover. I am sure it was lack of salt. The orange juice, water, salt mix is relatively cheap, compares in formula with commercial offerings and I can get it almost anywhere so even when away touring.

I do use loads of supplements but then with loads of arrhythmias I am a bit of a nutter about this sort of thing. From a cycling point of view a multi vitamin. From a cycling and heart perspective fish oil or fish, vitamin B complex, vitamin C (plus Lysine to help absorption). I want to do all I can to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis since a heart attack plus arrhythmias is statistically bad news.

Sport Drinks and Multi vitamins

I have ventricular tachycardia and this is the best option's to help you out.

Drinking sport drinks can help you get the electrolytes that you need faster than just orange juice and water mixed. They may seem more expensive but if you buy the powder formulas rather than the pre-mixed drinks then you will save money and get a better product. Real food is great so try a pancake with peanut butter and jam on it. Roll them up in tin foil and stick them in your back pocket.

As for the multi-vitamin. Keep it simple and just talk with the pharmacy and get the one that is good for your age. but the truth about vitamins is you generally dont get much out of them.

Keep Charging!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Certainly buying the powder and mixing your own Gatorade is a cost effective solution. This way you can mix to suit your taste as I find the premixed bottles way to sweet.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
mountainvalleysports.com said:
Drinking sport drinks can help you get the electrolytes that you need faster than just orange juice and water mixed. !

The juice water mix with added salt will give the same electrolytes as commercial products like Gatoraid. I use low salt ( its low sodium not low calcium as in my previous post, sorry) because it contains added potassium. Orange juice is a good source of potassium. However when in arrhythmias I understand the heart uses much more potassium. Hence my using low sodium salt for the added potassium - and more of it to give the sodium needed.

I would be interested to know what significant added electrolytes the commercial products give and how they would be absorbed more easily?

When away for a week on the bike it is impractical to carry commercial product - even dry. I prefer the taste of orange juice or pineapple juice mixes. I would welcome evidence that other things are significantly better but in the meantime its no contest for me.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi again

These emails have got me to check things again. WHO rehydration therapy uses per litre 2.6g sodium chloride for the sodium, 13.5g glucose to help absorption, 1.5g potassium chloride for the potassium, the chloride from these, and 2.9g trisodium citrate for the citrate. Not sure what the citrate does or how it fits for sweat loss but generally in sports drinks it is not mentioned. I understand with salt it maintains a neutral solution (pH 7.0) which may be important for WHO rehydration needs. However it may have other uses. The other requirements above are well met with fruit juice, water and salt. Almost ideally suited to endurance sports. Please tell me if I am missing something.

So my use of low sodium salt to give added potassium is particular to my heart condition. Most folk will find the potassium in the fruit juice sufficient or use a small amount of low sodium salt plus ordinary salt. I will use a mix of the two next time.

The WHO use glucose to help intestine absorption. Sugar is essential for this, plain water will not do. However in general glucose is not good in a sports drink and slower release fructose is preferable though I understand not ideal. I do not know whether fructose would slow salt absorption significantly over glucose but suspect it will be slight if at all. However in any case steady consumption should alleviate that issue.

Calcium and magnesium are the other electrolytes mentioned in very small quantities as being lost in sweat. If eating normally they should not be an issue though low magnesium is a general dietary issue for many with heart arrhythmias.

Re glucose it can at times be useful when a quick boost is needed but is generally not good. For that I sometimes carry things like macaroon bars or how about Kendal Mint cake?

One further point. All these are bad for tooth and gum health. This can be helped by drinking over the tongue and missing your teeth or by using water to rinse the mouth. Or just brush your teeth at the end.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Chocolate Milk!

Chocolate milk. Pre and post ride. It's inexpensive, you can buy it virtually anywhere, and it works like magic. It's an optimal ratio of carbs to protein. Once you try it, you'll wonder why you've been wasting your money on recovery drinks for so long.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
mountainvalleysports.com said:
I have ventricular tachycardia and this is the best option's to help you out.

Hi Mountainvalleysports
Interested in your ventricular tachycardia - and anyone else with heart arrhytmias.
Ventrical arrhythmias can be pretty serious or supposedly benign. Can you tell us a bit more about yours - maybe start a new threead - Heart arrhythias

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
While riding Hammer Nutrition Gel, Perpeteum, and Endurolytes have served me well. I also use Camelbak's electrolyte in my Camelbak and water bottles. These products give me energy on the bike and keep me from feeling so wiped out afterward.

For recovery I have been drinking chocolate milk. Recently I added whey protein to my milk and it is much more effective. The improvement is partly due to the fact that I was not getting enough protein. My muscles are much less sore, less tired, and recover faster. I recommend it highly.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I like to use the Hammer products. HEED, Recoverite, and their gels. Not real sweet and no stomach problems. On longer rides I will carry a Cliff bar along w/gels. I do not like to eat too much as I end up feeling bloated.

Mar 10, 2009
www.woj.com.au
Clayton said:
My top three are a good quality protein, Acetyl L Carnitine to keep the fat burning and Gen Tec's Thermo Fuel to fully power workouts. You can probably work out from this that I am a Clydesdale but I love being strong and don't really want to get my weight too low at the expense of power.
CoQ10Ubidecarenone (Coenzyme Q10)

This oil-soluble vitamin-like substance is present in most eukaryotic cells, primarily in the mitochondria. It is a component of the electron transport chain and participates in aerobic cellular respiration, generating energy in the form of ATP. Ninety-five percent of the human body' s energy is generated this way. Therefore, those organs with the highest energy requirements,such as the heart and the liver,have the highest CoQ10 concentrations.

How it works

* Coenzyme Q10 is found naturally in the body and plays an essential role in the production of energy in all cells. As such it is important for the health of virtually all human tissues and organs
* The heart is one of the most active tissues in the body, and requires an adequate supply of CoQ10. CoQ10 assists in maintaining heart health, in particular heart muscle function
* The body's ability to synthesise CoQ10 declines with age and with taking certain medications
* CoQ10 inhibits the oxidation of LDL-cholesterol. Cholesterol is very susceptible to free radical damage, which leads to the formation of a toxic derivative called oxidised LDL-cholesterol. It is currently understood that LDL-cholesterol is harmful to the body after it has become oxidised...

otherwise... glycogen replacement after hard excercise and magnesium for muscle recovery and zinc for tissue repair and immunity support.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
黑龙江男子制造灭门案杀6人 欲再次作案时被捕

(黑龙江)鸡东“3•15”灭门惨案发生后,引起了公安部、省委、省政府及省公安厅领导的高度重视。目前,已抓获8名犯罪嫌疑人。据悉,主要犯罪嫌疑人张建奎企图去五常岳父家,再一次制造灭门惨案时,在哈尔滨被公安机关及时杭州装饰公司捕。犯罪嫌疑人张建奎供述,因怀疑妻子李瑞红与本村村民林平有不正当男女关系,不堪村民议论讥讽,怀恨在心。今年春节期间,张建奎拿出2000元钱,委托周鹏程帮其找人报复林平。3月14日晚,张建奎纠集李洪伟、杭州装饰史文明、高香龙及王某(现在逃)、�p磊、于海涛7人,窜至东海镇高峰村林平家中,由李宏伟、史文明、高香龙、王某4人杭州装修负责对林家人员的看管,防止其喊叫和拨打电话,�p磊、于海涛二人在室外出租车内等候杭州装修设计接应。张建奎手持尖刀将林家6口杀死后,乘本村村民于连祥提供的车辆杭州装修设计公司潜逃。

Mar 10, 2009
www.woj.com.au
cihruueip said:
(黑龙江)鸡东?3?15?灭门惨案发生后,引起了公安部、省委、省政府及省公安厅领导的高度重视。目前,已抓获8名犯罪嫌疑人。据悉,主要犯罪嫌疑人张建奎企图去五常岳父家,再一次制造灭门惨案时,在哈尔滨被公安机关及时杭州装饰公司捕。犯罪嫌疑人张建奎供述,因怀疑妻子李瑞红与本村村民林平有不正当男女关系,不堪村民议论讥讽,怀恨在心。今年春节期间,张建奎拿出2000元钱,委托周鹏程帮其找人报复林平。3月14日晚,张建奎纠集李洪伟、杭州装饰史文明、高香龙及王某(现在逃)、�p磊、于海涛7人,窜至东海镇高峰村林平家中,由李宏伟、史文明、高香龙、王某4人杭州装修负责对林家人员的看管,防止其喊叫和拨打电话,�p磊、于海涛二人在室外出租车内等候杭州装修设计接应。张建奎手持尖刀将林家6口杀死后,乘本村村民于连祥提供的车辆杭州装修设计公司潜逃。

I'm not all that good with Chinese script and idioms, but this one isnt too hard to figure out, so If anyone is wondering what this is meant to be, its someone's idea of gobbledygook, it is a nosensical mish mash of unconnected chinese phrases about weird goings on , something about drug company arrests in China, some lady having marital trouble and villagers in a squabble...... none of it is seemingly connected... If you are intrigued run it through Google translate and have a chuckle, otherwise let's move on... nothing here!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
My favorite suppliment is good, wholesome organic food. What unbiased verification of the claims of suppliment makers exists that proves what they claim? Nothing from any health organizations, FDA, or other independant labs can confirm these claims, and it's all perfectly legal. We just are expected to believe what claims they make for their magic potions, and if the claims never materialize, oh well.
I don't want to rain on anyone's supplimented parade, but eating well and hard work is the most proven way to good health and physical performance. There are no shortcuts. If I sound sceptical, remember some of the pro atheletes who tested positive for illegal performance enhancing drugs that they say they have never taken and claim the suppliments they were taking may have triggered the false positive. So why take the chance for so little gain? Not all suppliments are bad, but why waste the money on unproven promises when a healthy diet and adequite rest are the most prescribed ways to better fitness?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Well supplementing electrolytes is never a bad thing. Especially if you are a bike racer. Things like sodium, magnesium, potassium, and calcium are always in short supply for athletes. So not all supplements are a waste of money.

TRENDING THREADS