• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What tactic does Cancellara use now?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
cineteq said:
Nothing's guaranteed, and it wasn't a suicide, if he had managed to get a gap of few seconds, as he's done it in other races.

It was stupid. He should have waited. The sprinters won't have lead out trains over a 300km race. He could jumped them like he did in 08 and hold them off over 1.5km. He tried to be the hero from 7km out. He's learnt nothing from Flanders and Roubaix last year.

Be interesting to see how he plays it this year...... any more 2nd's and he'll have a minute!

thehog said:
It was stupid. He should have waited. The sprinters won't have lead out trains over a 300km race. He could jumped them like he did in 08 and hold them off over 1.5km. He tried to be the hero from 7km out. He's learnt nothing from Flanders and Roubaix last year.

Be interesting to see how he plays it this year...... any more 2nd's and he'll have a minute!

Easy to play Monday morning quarterback when the Peloton is blasting after you at 38mph, you are going 27mph, and if you don't do something, you are going to get caught.

Cancellera has no shot in he&& in a bunch sprint, which it would have come down to.

So the options are, ride off the front, hope the guys behind you will pull through and burn themselves up, leaving you to ride them off your wheel, or sit up and do nothing and definitely lose.

Canc only lost the race by less than half a wheel length. I give him more credit for that move than the guy who won it. He should hand the trophy and half of his winnings over to Cancellera for keeping them clear and allowing him to win.

That guy ain't winning any TTs anytime either.

zigmeister said:
Easy to play Monday morning quarterback when the Peloton is blasting after you at 38mph, you are going 27mph, and if you don't do something, you are going to get caught.

Cancellera has no shot in he&& in a bunch sprint, which it would have come down to.

So the options are, ride off the front, hope the guys behind you will pull through and burn themselves up, leaving you to ride them off your wheel, or sit up and do nothing and definitely lose.

Canc only lost the race by less than half a wheel length. I give him more credit for that move than the guy who won it. He should hand the trophy and half of his winnings over to Cancellera for keeping them clear and allowing him to win.

He'll be fine for Flanders and PR. All Canc has to do is chase down every attack from kilometre 1 then burst from the pack with 40k to and drag everyone to the line to out sprint him.

Every DS in every car will be telling their riders - follow.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that you can use the same tactic over and over again and expect it to work. Opposition wise up. So you need to try something new.

A

Anonymous

thehog said:
It seems everyone has forgotten how CANCELLARA won in 2008:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zN7OgUNDe8

He went with 1500m to go and killed the sprinters. This time around he tried to take on everyone with 7km to go - suicide. I think he should have stayed in the pack near the front then jumped on everyone after the decent of the Poggio finished. He would have won that way. No way Nibs and Gerrans would have held on minus Fabs.

Your read on the finale is incredible.

Nobody has forgotten. That's the point.

Are you really going to say that Canc "jumping" those guys still in the field had any chance whatsoever? How does Canc "jump" Boonen or Sagan on the flats? You really think they would not expect that exact tactic? In 2008 the bunch looked around to see who was going to chase. that hesitation cost them the race. Canc does not get that hesitation a couple of k from the line nowadays.

Unbelievable.

thehog said:
Your comments come after the fact, it do not mean much at this point in time. If he would've followed your advice he wouldn't have won Strade Bianchi.

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
hfer07 said:
really? Since when Cancellara wins races by outprinting the competition? Have I missed something lately? -because he's as good sprinter as Nibali AFAIK:confused:

Cancellara is a much better sprinter than Nibali, e.g. 2011 WC where he was edged out by Greipel, do you think Nibali could have managed that?

cineteq said:
Your comments come after the fact, it do not mean much at this point in time. If he would've followed your advice he wouldn't have won Strade Bianchi.

I've talked about this before. In a race like Strande with is a 2nd tier race his tactic will work. The teams are not as strong and a lot of guys use it as a warm up to MSR etc. He can get away with it. When quality of the field is much higher no he can't. Read my posts before criticising.

Thats your last warning.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
zigmeister said:

"Easy to play Monday morning quarterback...."

the quarterback sits in the car these days i thought.

Maybe that's the problem, quaterbacks nowhere near the action and riders cant think anymore.

Scott SoCal said:
Your read on the finale is incredible.

Nobody has forgotten. That's the point.

Are you really going to say that Canc "jumping" those guys still in the field had any chance whatsoever? How does Canc "jump" Boonen or Sagan on the flats? You really think they would not expect that exact tactic? In 2008 the bunch looked around to see who was going to chase. that hesitation cost them the race. Canc does not get that hesitation a couple of k from the line nowadays.

Unbelievable.

Yes he would. When they are isolated no one can "jump" like Canc. In a Tour stage no chance as the sprinters teams would be going too fast and if he did get away chase him down. In saying that he did do it once at the Tour to take yellow. In 2010 Flanders Canc rode away on a flat from Boonen.

In a 300km race where there are no teams left he would win with that tactic. I can tell you right now that Nibs and Gerrans wouldn't have finished anywhere near top 10 if Cancellara didn't follow them then take them to the line.

A

Anonymous

thehog said:
He'll be fine for Flanders and PR. All Canc has to do is chase down every attack from kilometre 1 then burst from the pack with 40k to and drag everyone to the line to out sprint him.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that you can use the same tactic over and over again and expect it to work. Opposition wise up. So you need to try something new.

Dude, I'm not stalking you... but WTF are you on about?

If Canc gets 10 bike lengths on the Poggio descent... at any point... it's game over. He wins.

Current form, who is up for the accelerations on the Paterberg? Gilbert this year isn't Gilbert of last year... at least so far.

Following Canc on the flats is proving to be difficult, but on the steeps, when he dumped Boonen on the Muur in 2010 he was laying down 1700 watts SEATED. Who else does that?

He made a huge tactical mistake last year and still contested the finale.

Telling them and having them be able to are different things, no?

Even if this is how it goes, there will be a time when Canc sit up and refuses to drag slackers to the line. Then what? What do the automaton DS's do then?

A

Anonymous

thehog said:
Yes he would. When they are isolated no one can "jump" like Canc. In a Tour stage no chance as the sprinters teams would be going to fast and if he did get away chase him down. In saying that he did do it once at the Tour to take yellow.

In a 300km race where there are no teams left he would win with that tactic. I can tell you right now that Nibs and Gerrans wouldn't have finished anywhere near top 10 if Cancellara didn't follow them then take them to the line.

When they are isolated no one can "jump" like Canc.

Could not disagree more.

World class sprinters like Sagan, Goss, Cav and those guys have snap that Canc does not have. Canc can hold a ridiculous speed for a looong time but it takes him a little more to get there than Boonen. Or Goss. Or Sagan Or a handful of guys that finished at 2 seconds.

I can tell you right now that Nibs and Gerrans wouldn't have finished anywhere near top 10 if Cancellara didn't follow them then take them to the line.

This is the first accurate thing you have said in a couple of days.

Scott SoCal said:
Dude, I'm not stalking you... but WTF are you on about?

If Canc gets 10 bike lengths on the Poggio descent... at any point... it's game over. He wins.

Current form, who is up for the accelerations on the Paterberg? Gilbert this year isn't Gilbert of last year... at least so far.

Following Canc on the flats is proving to be difficult, but on the steeps, when he dumped Boonen on the Muur in 2010 he was laying down 1700 watts SEATED. Who else does that?

He made a huge tactical mistake last year and still contested the finale.

Telling them and having them be able to are different things, no?

Even if this is how it goes, there will be a time when Canc sit up and refuses to drag slackers to the line. Then what? What do the automaton DS's do then?

I'm not stalking you either but you look great in that underwear.

His problem is he plays his card too early. 40km out attacks will never work again. 7km from the line at MSR will never work again. Because he know one thing for sure now. Everyone will follow him. If he wants to win he has to win alone and that means waiting to the very last moment he can attack. At Flanders I'd say thats with 6km to go. He should do nothing until then. Let Bonnen et al do the work. Just play it cool. Thats all he needs to do then unleash it. 1700 watts for what? The cameras? He can't control races like he could with Saxo. He doesn't have the team. But your bottom dollar at Flanders BMX/Omega/Garmin etc. will put 3 guys each in the break. They will get 17 minutes on the bunch then what? He has to attack from 40km out again to have any hope of dragging them back in again. People miss this point. He has no team.

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
I've talked about this before. In a race like Strande with is a 2nd tier race his tactic will work. The teams are not as strong and a lot of guys use it as a warm up to MSR etc. He can get away with it. When quality of the field is much higher no he can't. Read my posts before criticising.

Did you watch the race? The chase group looked pretty strong to me (Iglinsky, Ballan, Kreuziger, Van Avermaet).

thehog said:
Thats your last warning

Great post

A

Anonymous

zigmeister said:

Bingo. This right here.

maltiv said:
Cancellara was 4th in the bunch sprints at the World Championships, and 4th on Champs Elysees...I haven't seen Nibali do that :rolleyes:

ok- but did you read the part that says "winning" by sprint?
I didn't think so;) but If you refer to my original post- I clearly stated that Cancellara would be unstoppable if he becomes a great sprinter-he already posseses the all rounded qualities

A

Anonymous

thehog said:
I'm not stalking you either but you look great in that underwear.

His problem is he plays his card too early. 40km out attacks will never work again. 7km from the line at MSR will never work again. Because he know one thing for sure now. Everyone will follow him. If he wants to win he has to win alone and that means waiting to the very last moment he can attack. At Flanders I'd say thats with 6km to go. He should do nothing until then. Let Bonnen et al do the work. Just play it cool. Thats all he needs to do then unleash it. 1700 watts for what? The cameras? He can't control races like he could with Saxo. He doesn't have the team. But your bottom dollar at Flanders BMX/Omega/Garmin etc. will put 3 guys each in the break. They will get 17 minutes on the bunch then what? He has to attack from 40km out again to have any hope of dragging them back in again. People miss this point. He has no team.

Yikes.

At Flanders I'd say thats with 6km to go.

It's pan-flat. Maybe a head or cross-head wind. If he's with a select group of strong finishers this tactic probably does not work. Canc made the winning move at Flanders last year at 3k. Drug Chava and Nuyens with him. We all know what happened next.

Let Bonnen et al do the work.

Is Boonen that stupid?

A 17 minute break won't happen unless the weather is horrid. And you mean to say that the BMC/GARMIN/LOTTO domestiques are that much better than Rast, Popo, Benatti, Roulston, Gallopin, et al?

BMC has some cards to play for sure, but which one of the uber favs is going to sacrifice their own chances? Thor is still sick, Phil may or may not be going well so that leaves Ballan and who else? Hincapie?

thehog said:

Thats your last warning.
I'm not criticizing your posts, I'm stating facts. If you want to speculate, then it's fine with me. Talking after the fact is free, but do not expect me to take you seriously next time.

Btw, his tactics have worked in 1st tier classics/stages/races.

PS: Could this be my last warning instead? LOL :D

Boonen is not that stupid but he wants to win. At Flanders all eyes will be on Canc. He brings the attention on himself. If he does the 40km thing again I'll cry with laughter. As it will prove he is stupid. If he waits and attacks once then he has a chance. He needs to let the race play out a little. Let it evolve. Let other riders play their card first. I mean seriously can he win from 40km out again? No chance.

Question is.... what would you do if you were Fabs?

Scott SoCal said:
Yikes.

It's pan-flat. Maybe a head or cross-head wind. If he's with a select group of strong finishers this tactic probably does not work. Canc made the winning move at Flanders last year at 3k. Drug Chava and Nuyens with him. We all know what happened next.

Is Boonen that stupid?

A 17 minute break won't happen unless the weather is horrid. And you mean to say that the BMC/GARMIN/LOTTO domestiques are that much better than Rast, Popo, Benatti, Roulston, Gallopin, et al?

BMC has some cards to play for sure, but which one of the uber favs is going to sacrifice their own chances? Thor is still sick, Phil may or may not be going well so that leaves Ballan and who else? Hincapie?

A

Anonymous

thehog said:
Boonen is not that stupid but he wants to win. At Flanders all eyes will be on Canc. He brings the attention on himself. If he does the 40km thing again I'll cry with laughter. As it will prove he is stupid. If he waits and attacks once then he has a chance. He needs to let the race play out a little. Let it evolve. Let other riders play their card first. I mean seriously can he win from 40km out again? No chance.

Question is.... what would you do if you were Fabs?

I mean seriously can he win from 40km out again? No chance.

Depends on how the race evolves. If most of the favs are isolated from their teams, if FC can attack and gap his rivals ... yes, he can win that way. Who's going to stop him?

FWIW, I think the tactics will play out in a fascinating way this year. New course that's expected to be much harder. Riders not sure what to expect, especially on the finishing loops.

Having said that, I won't be surprised to see FC attack from a ways out.

Latest posts