• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What tactic does Cancellara use now?

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

thehog said:
I should add. Brechel did a humongous amount of work and decoy playing in 2010. That's what Canc misses. A good teammate.

No. Brechel was a protected rider in 2010, not a decoy.

Had he had a clean bike-change he may have been there on the Muur. Who knows?

EDIT: Benatti was a good teammate at SB. I expect he'll be good at the Ronde as well.

Scott SoCal said:
No. Brechel was a protected rider in 2010, not a decoy.

Had he had a clean bike-change he may have been there on the Muur. Who knows?

EDIT: Benatti was a good teammate at SB. I expect he'll be good at the Ronde as well.

That's what I mean. He was protected but never going to win. He worked hard and was a decoy. Now it's Canc and Canc alone. I wonder what tactics RSL will use for Flanders? Maybe Canc for the win?

A

Anonymous

thehog said:
That's what I mean. He was protected but never going to win. He worked hard and was a decoy. Now it's Canc and Canc alone. I wonder what tactics RSL will use for Flanders? Maybe Canc for the win?

Ugh.

Breschel was protected the same way Devolder was at Quickstep.

If Canc is on your team, pick any 7 other dudes in the peloton. Who's your number one and why would you believe the other teams would not already know that?

A

Anonymous

DirtyWorks said:
Ding! Ding! Ding!

As long as they have two-way radios, I'd add they are missing a DS with good one-day strategy in the car for 2012 too.

What wrong with Demol? Gallopin?

DirtyWorks said:
Ding! Ding! Ding!

As long as they have two-way radios, I'd add they are missing a DS with good one-day strategy in the car for 2012 too.

Correct. One day tactics differ dramatically than having USPS ride on the front all day then attack with your leader.

QStep are the masters of the way day game. What Canc needs most of all is Riis in the car and in his ear. He and Andy may have left Saxo for bigger pay cheques but not for race wins. Let this be a lesson to young riders.

Scott SoCal said:
Ugh.

Breschel was protected the same way Devolder was at Quickstep.

If Canc is on your team, pick any 7 other dudes in the peloton. Who's your number one and why would you believe the other teams would not already know that?

Because if you have someone else who is strong in the break the others have to pay attention. If Canc puts one of his teammates in the break no one will even bother chasing.

Have you guys leant nothing?

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Everyone has woken up when he attacks. They will just sit & wait. He's become a one trick pony with no other options. He really needs to find another way to win that doesn't involve trying to ride off the front and soloing to a win.

He's beginning to look stupid.

Well, let's see...

How can you win a race?

You can:

1. Ride with the front and be fastest among those left (be it a small group at the end of a climb or a large group on a flat finish).

2. Attack to try to win from a smaller group or solo.

So are you saying he needs to become a better bunch sprinter?

kurtinsc said:
Well, let's see...

How can you win a race?

You can:

1. Ride with the front and be fastest among those left (be it a small group at the end of a climb or a large group on a flat finish).

2. Attack to try to win from a smaller group or solo.

So are you saying he needs to become a better bunch sprinter?

I'm saying he needs to stop the hero attack.

....and correct yes he needs to wait for a selection and attack from that group. He needs others to show their hand first before playing his.

What would you do?

A

Anonymous

thehog said:
Because if you have someone else who is strong in the break the others have to pay attention. If Canc puts one of his teammates in the break no one will even bother chasing.

Then who is the decoy?

Before Devolder won the 1st RVV, who would have thought that he would make it to the line? Nobody.

When Van Summeren was in the lead group with a bunch of strong guys but not uber favs at PR who though he would win? Nobody.

Chava goes up the road he will get attention. Same with Hushovd. Gilbert won't get away in a move (unless it's late).

On the other hand, no one of consequence will chase Hincapie or Benatti or Rast.

Everyone knew Breschel was a potential winner in 2010. He was not going anywhere early.

Canc puts a guy or two in the move and when the gap gets big enough, they will be chased.

I'll ask you the same.

Scott SoCal said:
Then who is the decoy?

Before Devolder won the 1st RVV, who would have thought that he would make it to the line? Nobody.

When Van Summeren was in the lead group with a bunch of strong guys but not uber favs at PR who though he would win? Nobody.

Chava goes up the road he will get attention. Same with Hushovd. Gilbert won't get away in a move (unless it's late).

On the other hand, no one of consequence will chase Hincapie or Benatti or Rast.

Everyone knew Breschel was a potential winner in 2010. He was not going anywhere early.

Canc puts a guy or two in the move and when the gap gets big enough, they will be chased.

I'll ask you the same.

You're my mate I like you.

You still haven't told me....... if you were Fabs what would you do for Flanders?

A

Anonymous

thehog said:

....and correct yes he needs to wait for a selection and attack from that group. He needs others to show their hand first before playing his.

What would you do?

He did that at RVV last year. Where else?

....and correct yes he needs to wait for a selection and attack from that group

Which is exactly what he did at MSR. Only he did not get away on the descent. Yet, you blast him tactically.

What would you do?

Not take advice in tactics from you:D

Scott SoCal said:
He did that at RVV last year. Where else?

Which is exactly what he did at MSR. Only he did not get away on the descent. Yet, you blast him tactically.

Not take advice in tactics from you:D

I get it. Pick the crap out of me but offer nothing yourself.

Put up or shutup.

What would you do?

A

Anonymous

thehog said:
You're my mate I like you.

You still haven't told me....... if you were Fabs what would you do for Flanders?

All jousting aside...

I'll tell my team that if one or two of them don't make the early move I will kick their azz.:)

Ultimately, If I am FC I want to solo in FTW. I don't think he can risk a late attack on a flat run-in where there may be significant wind involved.

He has to go 25 or 30k out on probably the 2nd trip up the Paterberg. He could wait for the last hill combo too. Somewhere in there is what I'd expect.

But, much depends on who's up the road, conditions and so on.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Your read on the finale is incredible.

Nobody has forgotten. That's the point.

Are you really going to say that Canc "jumping" those guys still in the field had any chance whatsoever? How does Canc "jump" Boonen or Sagan on the flats? You really think they would not expect that exact tactic? In 2008 the bunch looked around to see who was going to chase. that hesitation cost them the race. Canc does not get that hesitation a couple of k from the line nowadays.

Unbelievable.

I know…..theHog and ChrisE in agreement does seem to cause some stir…..

To be fair ChrisE and theHog have a valid point / opinion….”in my opinion”….

Glenn_Wilson said:
I know…..theHog and ChrisE in agreement does seem to cause some stir…..

To be fair ChrisE and theHog have a valid point / opinion….”in my opinion”….

Thank-you.

It's exactly how he won in 08. He executed the perfect attack. I mean getting beaten by Gerrans is like your Grandmother beating you in an arm wrestle. Canc is embarrassed.

Watch 08 again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zN7OgUNDe8

Attacking is about timing and a little less about power. Ask Gerrans. He attacked with 300m to go and won.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Thank-you.

It's exactly how he won in 08. He executed the perfect attack. I mean getting beaten by Gerrans is like your Grandmother beating you in an arm wrestle. Canc is embarrassed.

Attacking is about timing and a little less about power. Ask Gerrans. He attacked with 300m to go and won.

I know what you are preaching already. Grandmother beatings well that has to hurt.

Maybe Scott SoCal, kurtinSC and a few others should watch the video you linked.

As for the DS issues within theShack aka Team PorkSkins well I see that JB made the trip to Italia so no worries there I guess. I am not sure what his experience for the one day classics would be. I do know that in the past ,,,,,riders like Tom B. left them for other paychecks and maybe options?

thehog said:
Scott is cool. He doesn't need warnings - he brings good dialogue to the table.
So far what I've seen is a one way dialog, kind of "my way or the highway": He's a one-trick pony, he's stupid, blah blah. You haven't taken anybody's opinion into consideration. All you've done is provided after the fact pseudo analysis.
And then you say this:
thehog said:
I really don't know what else he can do. When he won P-R and Flanders it was a new trick now everyone knows exactly what he is going to do. He's lost the surprise element to his race. His only other option is to get into a break 70km out and bang it that way.

On one hand, you said he's stupid, other other hand, you don't know what else he can do. :rolleyes:
So who's really wasting bandwidth here?

A

Anonymous

thehog said:
Thank-you.

It's exactly how he won in 08. He executed the perfect attack.

Yes, it was a perfect attack because he won. Had he won on Saturday that, too, would have been the perfect attack.

Let's look a little closer at the finish of MSR in 2008, shall we?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvjpyadZ9dA

Start at about 1:29:00. FC follows an acceleration by Landeluze from Euskatel and then, REMARKABLY, NO ONE FOLLOWS CANCELLARA.

When he sees no one there he goes IMMEDIATELY. He attacked with a 10 meter gap that he already had. It was not like he's sitting around with an in-form Pozatto and has more snap and gets rid of him. That's not what happened.

So, how often, in the last couple of Kms, is this going to happen for Cancellara nowadays? Like, never?

Glenn_Wilson said:
I know what you are preaching already. Grandmother beatings well that has to hurt.

As for the DS issues within theShack aka Team PorkSkins well I see that JB made the trip to Italia so no worries there I guess. I am not sure what his experience for the one day classics would be. I do know that in the past ,,,,,riders like Tom B. left them for other paychecks and maybe options?

Needs to ditch the Trek and get back on the Cervelo as well.

A

Anonymous

Glenn_Wilson said:

Look at this video footage instead. Shows the whole final. Let me know if you think there's much chance of this happening ever again.

Start at about 1:29:00 or so.

Scott SoCal said:
Look at this video footage instead. Shows the whole final. Let me know if you think there's much chance of this happening ever again.

Start at about 1:29:00 or so.

You just proved my point. By NOT following Pellizotti, Rebillian and other but waited to the opportune time to attack the others had spent their biscuits. Great move. He attacked once and attacked strong and alone. Perfect.

Again he should have let Nibs and Gerrans go. He knows he could have chased them down if need by after the decent. In fact he would have made time up on Gerrans on the decent. He could have timed it to catch them with 1km to go breaking for the pack. Simple really.

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Yes, it was a perfect attack because he won. Had he won on Saturday that, too, would have been the perfect attack.

Let's look a little closer at the finish of MSR in 2008, shall we?

Start at about 1:29:00. FC follows an acceleration by Landeluze from Euskatel and then, REMARKABLY, NO ONE FOLLOWS CANCELLARA.

When he sees no one there he goes IMMEDIATELY. He attacked with a 10 meter gap that he already had. It was not like he's sitting around with an in-form Pozatto and has more snap and gets rid of him. That's not what happened.

So, how often, in the last couple of Kms, is this going to happen for Cancellara nowadays? Like, never?

Wow, the commentary was amazing! Seriously, I felt like I was watching a truly epic moment because of those guys.

Agree with everything in your post btw.

Latest posts