When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 132 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dear Wiggo said:
I recently learnt a similar thing, which seemed incredible given its prevalence for saddle sore usage: prolonged cortisone usage leads to thinner skin.
Same for those with acne. Their skin loses it's elasticity.

Otherwise inject away. Reduces swelling like nothing else.

Aug 13, 2009
Master50 said:
Question about cortisone. I recently had a little scare with my achilles. I had been doing calf raises with too much weight and injured my tendon. one treatment was a cortisone shot but the doctor said endure the pain for a couple of days as cortisone shots can eventually have the opposite effect and the next problem is a rupture? IE cortisone has a short term benefit but long term use can weaken certain connective tissues?
Cortisone is bad news, you are smart to stay away from it. Yes, it can weaken connective tissue. Back in the old days many riders would suddenly have knee issues and ruined seasons due to too much cortisone.

May 13, 2009
Pulled out again, being older and wiser means knowing when to hold and when to fold.

Right about now Lamp's probably got a near by sign shop making a sandwich board for Chris to wear around in the crowds near the finish. Lamp's bet yet to pay off.

robow7 said:
Pulled out again, being older and wiser means knowing when to hold and when to fold.

Right about now Lamp's probably got a near by sign shop making a sandwich board for Chris to wear around in the crowds near the finish. Lamp's bet yet to pay off.
Don't think Lampre pay that much in base. Besides all the DNF articles on CN and Velonews should help cover some of the bills anyway.

Of course from sporting pov the whole thing is pretty ridiculous.

Jun 19, 2009
Race Radio said:
Cortisone is bad news, you are smart to stay away from it. Yes, it can weaken connective tissue. Back in the old days many riders would suddenly have knee issues and ruined seasons due to too much cortisone.
"Cortisone" is code for a recovery regime in many cases. The stuff will make everything feel fine while you rip it to shreds. Medieval medicine in my book.

robow7 said:

He's got to watch his race days. Not racing is the new way to dominate a grand tour.

Not sure what his schedule is but it seems like I recall him working the Giro/Vuelta. Look for miracles at one of those.

Jun 15, 2009
DirtyWorks said:
He's got to watch his race days. Not racing is the new way to dominate a grand tour.

Not sure what his schedule is but it seems like I recall him working the Giro/Vuelta. Look for miracles at one of those.
I said it before Cataluna (after he dropped out of TA) he´ll dominate the Giro with 6 stage wins. His plan is perfectly in line with last year: Less than 15 race days & injured before a GT. There can´t go anything wrong. I expect heroic 5 hour rides out of the saddle...

Meh...the guy has spent 100s of thousands of miles in the saddle the past 25yrs in cycling. That sh&t takes a toll on your body in any sport for that amount of time. Even though cycling is low impact, the wear/tear eventually catches up with you. Hence, why we don't have dozens and dozens of 40+yr old guys competing.

He has had injuries with many of his extremities, particularly legs, like his knee surgery, now his achilles is bothering him.

But the thing with Horner, he seems to be a bit lazy IMO. Always talks about the diet/food in Europe??? He will take the time off, keep getting paid, and seemingly milk an injury. He still gets home sick plenty when over in Europe from what I can tell.

He then gets an injury, goes back to the US for treatment, and trains while at home with his family typically.

Then, comes back with a vengeance.

One would think if his blood values are so suspect, even after releasing the passport data, he would be OOC tested more, or getting popped, or USADA and the likes would have this guy on their radar to pop somehow to prove they are doing something to clean up the sport. Yet, they haven't ever mentioned his name.

So either his doping methods are some amazing stuff of legends, he is tipped off about testing (never missed an OOC test/or even surprise test, at least the 1 wasn't his fault they missed), or the guy is clean.

We will see. Waiting for Tygart/USADA and the likes to stop playing their politics and games and just release all the names on the report and stop hiding/protecting people.

Dec 18, 2013
Horner (and others his age) will need to scale back the amount of race days anyway, their bodies simply dont recover and repair like they did when they were 20 yrs old...numerous books on pro cycling like Millar's, Kimmage's etc state the ridiculous amount of racing on the calendar and how they were run down a lot of the time and how the obligation to sponsors and the desire to be professional meant they looked to doping in order to be able to perform all year round....i'd favour a massive reduction in the number of races for pro cyclists, less strain on the body, longer careers and hopefully less reliance on doping to drag the body through it all.

zigmeister said:
One would think if his blood values are so suspect, even after releasing the passport data, he would be OOC tested more, or getting popped, or USADA and the likes would have this guy on their radar to pop somehow to prove they are doing something to clean up the sport. Yet, they haven't ever mentioned his name.

So either his doping methods are some amazing stuff of legends, he is tipped off about testing (never missed an OOC test/or even surprise test, at least the 1 wasn't his fault they missed), or the guy is clean.
I'm pretty sure he is on USADA's radar - I saw somewhere he was the most tested American athlete OOC last year. They can't really mention his name unless he fails a test.

So why hasn't he been popped? He's not going to fail a transfusion test, as there isn't one ratified and in use. He's not gonna be caught microdosing EPO if he does it correctly. He's not gonna trigger the passport because its parameters are ridiculously wide and if he does he can probably talk his way out of it as a large number of cyclists have apparently done. This is why Hip Hop Sucks in '96 Cycling Sucks in '14.

Aug 13, 2009
zigmeister said:
Last year Horner was the most OOC tested USADA athlete.

I am sure they are just testing him a lot because they like going to Bend. Nice place

Aug 16, 2011
Race Radio said:
Last year Horner was the most OOC tested USADA athlete.

I am sure they are just testing him a lot because they like going to Bend. Nice place
Yep, your definitely right on that one. Bend is awesome after all. :D

Jun 19, 2009
vedrafjord said:
I'm pretty sure he is on USADA's radar - I saw somewhere he was the most tested American athlete OOC last year. They can't really mention his name unless he fails a test.

So why hasn't he been popped? He's not going to fail a transfusion test, as there isn't one ratified and in use. He's not gonna be caught microdosing EPO if he does it correctly. He's not gonna trigger the passport because its parameters are ridiculously wide and if he does he can probably talk his way out of it as a large number of cyclists have apparently done. This is why Hip Hop Sucks in '96 Cycling Sucks in '14.
Horner does spend a lot of time at home. It's a beautiful and difficult place to find someone who is out training. He does a pretty good job of controlling the "when" of OOC testing in that environment.

Dec 7, 2010
robow7 said:
I think he's a "one and done" like Wiggo, go for it, don't get caught, live off the residuals.
Not likely.

2013 Vuelta a Espana Prize Money

1 Chris Horner - €112,000
2 Vincenzo Nibali - €57,000
3 Alejandro Valverde - €30,000
4 Joaquin Rodriguez- €15,000
5 Nicolas Roche - €12,500
6 Domenico Pozzovivo - €9,000
7 Thibaut Pinot - €9,000
8 Samuel Sanchez - €6,000
9 Leopold Konig - €6,000
10 Daniel Moreno - €3,800

Not to mention, the only sponsor listed on Horner's personal webpage (besides Lampre) is Oakley. And their cereal is hard to find on the shelves these days.

As an aside:
When typing into a Google search, "Which cyclists..."
Google conveniently fills in the gap with "...are clean." :D

Jul 16, 2010
vedrafjord said:

Nice DJ Shadow reference :)

vedrafjord said:

So why hasn't he been popped?
According to one of the experts that looked at Horner's scores, they very likely could have opened a case on Horner. But, this is the UCI and they are anti-doping controversy.

-We know the UCI does not process positives.
-We know the UCI uses the bio-passport testing to control teams.
-We know IF the UCI actually sanction a rider at the WT level the treatment is almost random. Some get blacklisted back to Continental racing, some return to the WT, some, *somehow* cannot find a ride anywhere despite being a known-good racer.

Why Horner isn't positive is as much about the UCI's random anti-doping controversy policy and likely corruption at the UCI as Horner exploiting the freight-train sized hole in the bio-passport for grand tours.

^Another one of the mystery "intrawebz" experts I can imagine huh?

If the guy was the most tested US athlete last year, either testing should be completely stopped and is useless (doubtful), or Horner is the legend beyond legends of doping sophistication...and Tygart and company should be in full swing to put this guy up on doping charges with all the evidence they must have then.

Also, you guys with your talk about cortisone use/dangers etc...are very vague with your statements, which equal about nothing.

Cortisone use, when done in a particular fashion, can have benefits, will not cause your HPT feedback to shut down natural production, and be basically non-detectable.

Stupid people using 50-100/mg day for long term, is asking for trouble.

Someone using 20mg/day of hydrocortisone properly, will cause zero effects for your natural production, for short time periods.

Nov 27, 2012
mikeoneill said:
Thanks for link. The article says Horner had 24 USADA tests in 2013.

Horner released copies of test results for UCI biological passport for testing dates March 14, June 26, Aug 22, Aug 29, Sept 3, Sept 7, Sept 14, 2013.

Reported tests:

24 USADA initiated tests

7 UCI BP tests (up to Sept 29) plus any BP tests for last quarter

As well, I think there’d be race tests (i.e. Vuelta)? Maybe 35-40 tests in all??

Interesting stats.

Nov 27, 2012
mikeoneill said:
who does the tests at the vuelta

are the 24 usada tests all done in the US
UCI is in charge of tests for Vuelta. He had 4 BP tests (Aug 29, Sept 3, 7, 14), but I think there’d be more race tests as he won two stages on Aug 26 and Sept 2.

Not sure if all 24 USADA tests were done in U.S. as place of test sessions is not made available. USADA tried to test Chris at least once in Spain as they contracted Spain NADO to test him day after race finished but there was a mix-up and the test was not done.

ASK THE COMMUNITY