• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 133 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
The Horndog will smash the Giro/Vuelta double. In his honor, Tygart will erect a Mr. Clean statue in the center of Bend with Horner's name on it.

It's the new era of clean cycling. Amen.

Quick! Start asking Bend citizens: "do you think Chris is squeaky clean?" Stop when someone replies "yes".
What is the over/under on this exercise, fans?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
northstar said:
Thanks for link. The article says Horner had 24 USADA tests in 2013.

Horner released copies of test results for UCI biological passport for testing dates March 14, June 26, Aug 22, Aug 29, Sept 3, Sept 7, Sept 14, 2013.

Reported tests:

24 USADA initiated tests

7 UCI BP tests (up to Sept 29) plus any BP tests for last quarter

As well, I think there’d be race tests (i.e. Vuelta)? Maybe 35-40 tests in all??

Interesting stats.

If he continues as a pro rider until his 50s (of nobody in the clinic has a doubt of, I guess), he will break many records. Not only climbing times, but most tested athlete ever (overtaking the crown from LA), most tested cyclist per race days, oldest rider to win the Vuelta, tour, Giro, oldest rider to have a GT double in a season, etc...

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
If he continues as a pro rider until his 50s (of nobody in the clinic has a doubt of, I guess), he will break many records. Not only climbing times, but most tested athlete ever (overtaking the crown from LA), most tested cyclist per race days, oldest rider to win the Vuelta, tour, Giro, oldest rider to have a GT double in a season, etc...

First person to win the triple GT - if you could do Vuelta / Giro / Tour you'd have that nice big break over Christmas for plenty of pudding and cheer that Horner is fond of.

foxxybrown1111 said:
if he continues as a pro rider until his 50s (of nobody in the clinic has a doubt of, i guess), he will break many records. Not only climbing times, but most tested athlete ever (overtaking the crown from la), most tested cyclist per race days, oldest rider to win the vuelta, tour, giro, oldest rider to have a gt double in a season, etc...

lol
:D……………..

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Horner must have many friends, that Vuelta result should be erased from the records asap, what a shame.

Justice has 2 sides, some are humiliated, others stay unscathed.

David_William

BANNED
Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
What do you guys think of the move of Jose Azevedo to Katusha? Sure he probably is one of the best sports directeurs out threre but he also some interesting links in the past and maybe he was part of Horner sucess last year?
Rodriguez to win Giro, Vuelta and Worlds this year?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Horner most tested cyclist in 2013 by USADA with 24 tests and no positive. Sure sign that testing is a joke.

http://www.usada.org/athlete-test-history

Joke or not, a lot of testing does still find cheats. All that can really be demonstrated is that so far he has not taken anything that the test can show which of course does nothing to bolster your assertion he is cheating. So much easier to call the testing a joke than find the proof you believe is there. It must be so hard for you to not see the story he has been caught? You should take some comfort knowing he might still get caught, or not. You do understand that a negative test can mean nothing illegal is there. You do understand this is just as possible as that he is beating them?
I understand the doubts but your certainty he is cheating is baffling?

burning said:
I find it interesting that bottle is tested 10 times in 2013, why?
Edit: Looks like USADA is not bothered to test Talansky, (only 3 tests) maybe they think that he's cleans and they shouldn't waste time testing him :rolleyes:

Zabriskie, Danielson and Van De Velde where all tested in the double figures, if he had any chance of returning after his ban he would need to be in test pool

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Master50 said:
Joke or not, a lot of testing does still find cheats. All that can really be demonstrated is that so far he has not taken anything that the test can show which of course does nothing to bolster your assertion he is cheating. So much easier to call the testing a joke than find the proof you believe is there. It must be so hard for you to not see the story he has been caught? You should take some comfort knowing he might still get caught, or not. You do understand that a negative test can mean nothing illegal is there. You do understand this is just as possible as that he is beating them?
I understand the doubts but your certainty he is cheating is baffling?

Considering Armstrong didn't test positive, O'Grady, Voight, Hincapie etc never tested positive i stand by my testing is a joke.

You think Horner at his age won a GT in Spain, clean? Wow that is some suspension of belief!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
burning said:
I find it interesting that bottle is tested 10 times in 2013, why?
Edit: Looks like USADA is not bothered to test Talansky, (only 3 tests) maybe they think that he's cleans and they shouldn't waste time testing him :rolleyes:

All the 'whistleblowers' seem to have high figure testing. USADA doing its bit of PR.;)

Talanksy not a whistleblower so no PR testing him.

Benotti69 said:
Considering Armstrong didn't test positive, O'Grady, Voight, Hincapie etc never tested positive i stand by my testing is a joke.

A couple of things.
- USADA like other NADO's are directed to perform tests. They don't have the authority to open cases on any positives in the APMU. It would be fantastic if they did, but the IOC and sports federations can't handle that much doping controversy.

-There may be double-digit tests on these riders, but if it's USAC/UCI ordering the tests, then we know there won't be a case opened.

-Finally, it's still an IQ test and all the answers to the tests are known. As long as the athlete is watching their own parameters, they will be perfectly fine at least recovery doping. (ex. Testosterone)

WADA is good theater right now and the IOC knows it. The occasional sporting event fan tuning in every four years has been lead to believe it is a very difficult system to circumvent. That's what counts.

Master50 said:
You do understand that a negative test can mean nothing illegal is there. You do understand this is just as possible as that he is beating them?

Wrong.

The good news is we found the flaw in your "logic". It would be silly to assume 50/50 on that probability. I can't say Horner is DEFINITELY doping but it's actually VERY likely when looking at many different data points.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
A couple of things.
- USADA like other NADO's are directed to perform tests. They don't have the authority to open cases on any positives in the APMU. It would be fantastic if they did, but the IOC and sports federations can't handle that much doping controversy.

-There may be double-digit tests on these riders, but if it's USAC/UCI ordering the tests, then we know there won't be a case opened.

-Finally, it's still an IQ test and all the answers to the tests are known. As long as the athlete is watching their own parameters, they will be perfectly fine at least recovery doping. (ex. Testosterone)

WADA is good theater right now and the IOC knows it. The occasional sporting event fan tuning in every four years has been lead to believe it is a very difficult system to circumvent. That's what counts.

great post. WADA is good theater, spot on.

Makes what JV, Brailsford and Walsh say as pathetic.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

You think Horner at his age won a GT in Spain, clean? Wow that is some suspension of belief!

I know he was declared the winner. I know that has not changed since. I know you believe he was cheating to accomplish it. I know you have not provided proof adequate to convince the people that agree with fact 1.
I know that without proof your assertion he doped is just as easy for me to dismiss your assertion.
So far I have not suspended any perception of reality as I can tell you disagree.

So I suppose if he ever got caught by a drug test the joke is lost? It was a drug lab that did the retrospective 1999 EPO tests that added a nail in LAs coffin. I also know I did not declare him a doper then but that was evidence just not the anti doping kind.

I do understand your scepticism but respect my need for the official announcement.

Master50 said:
Joke or not, a lot of testing does still find cheats.

only the stupid ones that make a mistake

DirtyWorks said:
A couple of things.

yep. well put.
the IOC doesn't want to catch anyone and give itself a black eye, although does relent to throwing an occasional sacrificial lamb onto the fire as a PR exercise every now and again

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
A couple of things.

So true, wasn't Bertie only outed when a newspaper actually broke the news. Prob one of the few test results and considering he was below testing levels there were some conspiracy theories about why that ever saw the light of day.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Master50 said:

I do understand your scepticism but respect my need for the official announcement.

With what we know about UCI corruption, never mind IOC corruption, i have no respect for anyone who believes officialdom does its job fairly and honestly.

Justinr

BANNED
Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
dolophonic said:
So true, wasn't Bertie only outed when a newspaper actually broke the news. Prob one of the few test results and considering he was below testing levels there were some conspiracy theories about why that ever saw the light of day.

I didn't think there were any testing levels for Clen? Maybe now but not then.

Benotti69 said:
With what we know about UCI corruption, never mind IOC corruption, i have no respect for anyone who believes officialdom does its job fairly and honestly.

Myself and i would think others have no respect for tossers on the internet who repeat the mantra "they are all dopers" and accuse others of corruption. As luck would have it you are not one of those tossers Benatti as you are obviously Irish and a girl.

Justinr said:
I didn't think there were any testing levels for Clen? Maybe now but not then.

It is a specified substance with no threshold so any detection of it raises an AAF. (It remains this for 2014 with no plans to alter this status)

What is being referred to are the levels detected were below the threshold for detection required to be a WADA accredited lab.

Had the sample not gone to the particular facility (Cologne) with the most up to date equipment and methods, it is entirely possible it would not have registered an AAF.

When you are talking about parts per million, and even parts per billion, the equipment and methods used make a huge difference in your ability to find something.