• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Some people here seem to have never heard of Bartali, how old was he in 1947? Right...anyway Horner has always been a gifted rider, cycling is an endurance sport, he never was a leader, etc...you feel like vomitting when you see him? Reading your posts makes me sick, you must really have some serious personal issues to post such venom...scary :-(

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Genetics. Some dudes suffer male pattern baldness. Horner was going bald in the mid 1990's riding for Colorado Cyclist/Nuta-Fig. He also had a ridiculous pony-tail back in those days. Horrific "sort-of" mullett.

I know plenty of guys who were completely bald by the time they finished college at 22 or 23. Guess what. Their dad's were bald too.

webvan said:
It seems most people here missed the 2011 TOC and particularly the Sierra Road climb, that was very, very impressive. In essence, this is Horner's first GT as a leader, we should be lamenting that he wasn't given that chance before instead of posting outlandish unsubstantiated doping related drivel.

Its funny to see the same guy that bumped the Costa thread straight after his TdS victory defend Horner and Sky so vigorously.

Double standards much? Or is a 26 year old winning his second TdS with a weak field more suspicious than what Horner has been doing?

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
webvan said:
It seems most people here missed the 2011 TOC and particularly the Sierra Road climb, that was very, very impressive. In essence, this is Horner's first GT as a leader, we should be lamenting that he wasn't given that chance before instead of posting outlandish unsubstantiated doping related drivel.

That 38 second defeat of Leipheimer was a clear indication of what was to come. Obviously he was still young and inexperienced then so it's no surprise that he has shown huge improvement this year. I still think he could be a year or two away from his peak though.

webvan said:

Yes, it was a very impressive performance in a race where no blood tests were carried out (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-performed-no-blood-tests-during-amgen-tour-of-california). I'm sure Horner and Leipheimer were as clean as a whistle.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
That 38 second defeat of Leipheimer was a clear indication of what was to come. Obviously he was still young and inexperienced then so it's no surprise that he has shown huge improvement this year. I still think he could be a year or two away from his peak though.

Is that sarcasm?
I guess so, since peaking sports performances are around 28, not 42...
It´s absurd if yo mean this real.

Levi said "The 2011 cycling season was very difficult as I exprienced a great deal of animosity from teammates and staff on the radioshack team"

"For instance [other-3] was very aggresive towards me. When I would walk by him he would make comments like 'I never forget, one day I will pay bck'"

Is other-3 still on the staff?

I am sure Levi will know whether Horner is doping or not.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:

Could be. Could also be that the peloton is actually closer to pani y agua.

If I remember the Sierra Road stage, he was out of the saddle a lot. Maybe there will be some pseudo scientist come along and talk about how much more efficient elite cyclists are when climbing out of the saddle. Then again, maybe his knee hurts when putting down the watts while in the saddle.

It's all a big mystery.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
del1962 said:
JV - "Are you guys discussing the same Chris Horner that chased down Hincapie in final tdf for talking?"

JV - "I've only heard stories. The video makes it pretty clear"

Does anyone have a link to the video?

I really wish some young clean rider would have chased Hincapie down as a nice send off to him and his generation. Good riddance.

Scott SoCal said:
Could be. Could also be that the peloton is actually closer to pani y agua.

If I remember the Sierra Road stage, he was out of the saddle a lot. Maybe there will be some pseudo scientist come along and talk about how much more efficient elite cyclists are when climbing out of the saddle. Then again, maybe his knee hurts when putting down the watts while in the saddle.

It's all a big mystery.

Or pane e acqua. You see when we can't even agree on the nomenclature, it's all a mystery, or a mystery wrapped up in an enigma.

Poursuivant said:
His reaction to Armstrong being burned by USADA spoke volumes. Wasn't there a lot of quotes from him years ago giving US Postal stick? I wonder what changed? Who got in his ear? What got in his veins?

You need to go back to Chris 1.0 for those quotes:

An interview with Chris Horner, August 17, 2007

"You can see the differences," he said. "As a rider it is easily perceptible, or as a well-educated fan sitting at home. You get to a climb and everyone has maybe one or two team-mates with him -- that is doable. You can't have a leader's team getting to the final climb with five guys on the front, like every year from three years back all the way back. It is impossible to ride the front with your whole team and get to the final climb with most of your team still on the front -- and be ready to come back and do it day in and day out."

"Three years back all the way back"? Like maybe 1999-2005?. Now who might that sound like?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
You guys in the clinic must be really shattered that Horner just turned in a normal TT for a climber:
Horner loses 1:29 to Nibali, 1:17 to Nicolas Roche and 1:13 to Alejandro Valverde, who all leapfrog him in the general classification.

The bigger news is that Cancellara smoked Tony Martin to the tune of a 37s deficit.

Result:
1 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) RadioShack Leopard 0:51:00
2 Tony Martin (Ger) Omega Pharma-Quick Step 0:00:37
3 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:01:24
4 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:01:25
5 Dario Cataldo (Ita) Sky Procycling 0:01:41
6 Nicolas Roche (Irl) Team Saxo-Tinkoff 0:01:48
7 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:52
8 Jerome Coppel (Fra) Cofidis, Solutions Credits 0:01:52
9 Janez Brajkovic (Slo) Astana Pro Team 0:01:53
10 Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 0:02:13

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
drfunk000 said:
You guys in the clinic must be really shattered that Horner just turned in a normal TT for a climber:
Horner loses 1:29 to Nibali, 1:17 to Nicolas Roche and 1:13 to Alejandro Valverde, who all leapfrog him in the general classification.

The bigger news is that Cancellara smoked Tony Martin to the tune of a 37s deficit.

Result:
1 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) RadioShack Leopard 0:51:00
2 Tony Martin (Ger) Omega Pharma-Quick Step 0:00:37
3 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:01:24
4 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:01:25
5 Dario Cataldo (Ita) Sky Procycling 0:01:41
6 Nicolas Roche (Irl) Team Saxo-Tinkoff 0:01:48
7 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:52
8 Jerome Coppel (Fra) Cofidis, Solutions Credits 0:01:52
9 Janez Brajkovic (Slo) Astana Pro Team 0:01:53
10 Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 0:02:13

Pozzovivo 3rd, lol.

Yeah, Horner took all the blood in the bag and scorched to a 20th place losing time to all his GC rivals after that scintillating climbing performance where he stomped out an astonishing 6.08 w/kg.

Well Hog, what have you to say now?

TRENDING THREADS