• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who is Floyd Landis?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Again you are bringing up that money is the motive.

If "he wouldn't be able to pay his bills racing in local Crits" - then why didn't he make his confessions on the lucrative television circuit instead of sending emails to sports administrators.

I don't doubt for a second that Landis would have kept his mouth shut if he had been allowed into the ATOC or Armstong hired him at Radioshack. Do you? To borrow from Lance, It's not about the bike . . . it's about the bank account. If he loves riding his bike so much then he should get a job like the rest of us and ride his bike on his free time. Or, he could go wrench at some shop and ride his bike to work every day like so many others. I don't think he is comfortable being paid a mechanics' wage. He has bigger $ in mind.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
miloman said:
I don't think he had anything to lose. I'm not sure it was courage, more like desperation. He wasn't going to be allowed into any race that mattered. I'm sure it became painfully obvious he wouldn't be able to pay his bills racing in local Crits. (let alone repay the Floyd Fairness Fund)

Well... he drew a salary AND rode the ToC w/ OUCH. It was only on Bahati that THE TEAM was denied entry. The ToC argued this was on sporting grounds, and I'd tend to agree.

What bills did he have to pay? He was single, no wife, no kids. I don't know what his racing salary was, but who are you to say it wasn't sufficient?

As for your contention that he's out for $$$, we'll see when the dust settles. Assuming he gets any settlement out of the whistleblower suit, he still has pledged to repay ppl who gave to "Fairness" fund. One such individual was his personal benefactor Dr. Brent Kay, who apparently dropped as much as $500K to Floyd's defense. Assuming Floyd repays the man, how much scratch would be left over?

If after this is all over, you spot Floyd on the French Riviera nibbling on caviar and sipping Cristal out of supermodels navels.., please please take a photo and post it on here, okay? :rolleyes:

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
NashbarShorts said:
Well... he drew a salary AND rode the ToC w/ OUCH. It was only on Bahati that THE TEAM was denied entry. The ToC argued this was on sporting grounds, and I'd tend to agree.

What bills did he have to pay? He was single, no wife, no kids. I don't know what his racing salary was, but who are you to say it wasn't sufficient?

As for your contention that he's out for $$$, we'll see when the dust settles. Assuming he gets any settlement out of the whistleblower suit, he still has pledged to repay ppl who gave to "Fairness" fund. One such individual was his personal benefactor Dr. Brent Kay, who apparently dropped as much as $500K to Floyd's defense. Assuming Floyd repays the man, how much scratch would be left over?

If after this is all over, you spot Floyd on the French Riviera nibbling on caviar and sipping Cristal out of supermodels navels.., please please take a photo and post it on here, okay? :rolleyes:

So if I understand you right, he isn't motivated by money? He has an ex-wife (alimony) step daughter (possible child support), needs a place to live, food to eat, car to drive etc., etc. What team of any consequence was looking to hire him? Your right about one thing, a crummy team isn't going to get you into the big races, even if you are Floyd Landis! Again, what did he have to lose?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
miloman said:
I don't doubt for a second that Landis would have kept his mouth shut if he had been allowed into the ATOC or Armstong hired him at Radioshack. Do you? To borrow from Lance, It's not about the bike . . . it's about the bank account. If he loves riding his bike so much then he should get a job like the rest of us and ride his bike on his free time. Or, he could go wrench at some shop and ride his bike to work every day like so many others. I don't think he is comfortable being paid a mechanics' wage. He has bigger $ in mind.

You still avoid answering my question - if he is in as desperate financial state as you claim, then why did he not get well paid now and do the lucrative TV circuit?

I don't believe he would have talked either had he been offered a ride on TRS. There was no reason to keep living the lie when you are shunned from the team that facilitaed the doping in the first place.

No doubt that Landis loves riding his bike - he is currently racing in New Zealand -no 6 figure contract, no appearance fee.

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
You still avoid answering my question - if he is in as desperate financial state as you claim, then why did he not get well paid now and do the lucrative TV circuit?I don't believe he would have talked either had he been offered a ride on TRS. There was no reason to keep living the lie when you are shunned from the team that facilitaed the doping in the first place.

No doubt that Landis loves riding his bike - he is currently racing in New Zealand -no 6 figure contract, no appearance fee.

Well, maybe he took to heart what Larry King told him last time he on his show. He reportedly told him no one was interested in his story. And Floyd did appear on a few shows prior to filing his whistle blower suit including ABC's NIghtline. Maybe the reason he doesn't now is because he has been instructed not to. And I think you over estimate how "lucrative" the TV circuit is. And once you spill the beans, you have nothing else to offer.

And I am curious, how do you know he didn't get paid to go to NZ to race? If like hes says, he' broke, how does he pay for a ticket, ship his bikes, rent a hotel etc. I think you may be mistaken. Someone is paying for it and I doubt it is Floyd.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
miloman said:
Well, maybe he took to heart what Larry King told him last time he on his show. He reportedly told him no one was interested in his story. And Floyd did appear on a few shows prior to filing his whistle blower suit including ABC's NIghtline. Maybe the reason he doesn't now is because he has been instructed not to. And I think you over estimate how "lucrative" the TV circuit is. And once you spill the beans, you have nothing else to offer.

And I am curious, how do you know he didn't get paid to go to NZ to race? If like hes says, he' broke, how does he pay for a ticket, ship his bikes, rent a hotel etc. I think you may be mistaken. Someone is paying for it and I doubt it is Floyd.
Can you show me where King said that?

Any story involving Armstrong is big news and therefore lucrative - particularly if he is broke as you say. He could have traded one network against another.

The whistleblower suit was filled 'late last spring' - so his appearance on TV were after it was filled - you think he got a stackful of cash for a brief ABC interview?

I have no doubt that his travel and expences are being covered for his trip to NZ by the team he is riding for- but I am on about race appearance fee's (which are usually 5 figures) that Pros get from the organiser of the race, not a team.

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
How could you question the motives of this strapping young lad?

Landis-flipping-off.jpg

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Can you show me where King said that?

Any story involving Armstrong is big news and therefore lucrative - particularly if he is broke as you say. He could have traded one network against another.

The whistleblower suit was filled 'late last spring' - so his appearance on TV were after it was filled - you think he got a stackful of cash for a brief ABC interview?I have no doubt that his travel and expences are being covered for his trip to NZ by the team he is riding for- but I am on about race appearance fee's (which are usually 5 figures) that Pros get from the organiser of the race, not a team.

The King story was reported on the web several months back, searched but haven't found it yet. And no, I don't think he did get a stackful of cash for the interview and that's the point. I don't think anyone was willing to pay much for it. What does $10K buy you these days? I think he would be lucky to even get that much! And finally someone like Hincapie would get 5 figures or more, but how valuable is a disgraced rider who was stripped of his title to an event? Not so much I would think. Do you have personal knowledge of how much he was paid?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
miloman said:
The King story was reported on the web several months back, searched but haven't found it yet. And no, I don't think he did get a stackful of cash for the interview and that's the point. I don't think anyone was willing to pay much for it. What does $10K buy you these days? I think he would be lucky to even get that much! And finally someone like Hincapie would get 5 figures or more, but how valuable is a disgraced rider who was stripped of his title to an event? Not so much I would think. Do you have personal knowledge of how much he was paid?
I have no idea what he was paid - but very few of those type of programmes (ABC Nightline) pay for an interview.

So -you're right that is the point.
If his aim was to cash in as you keep suggesting- then getting an agent and going to a different type of programme (or print media) would be a more lucrative option.

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I have no idea what he was paid - but very few of those type of programmes (ABC Nightline) pay for an interview.

So -you're right that is the point.
If his aim was to cash in as you keep suggesting- then getting an agent and going to a different type of programme (or print media) would be a more lucrative option.

Maybe his people did shop the story and no one was willing to pay. He shows a reluctance to get a proper job. I think a lot of us dreamed of being a professional cyclist, but when that didn't work out and we had bills to pay, we tried somethig else. He probably can't fall into an industry job -- who would want him reping for them. What is Tyler Hamilton doing these days? He must have figured out how to make a living after being sanctioned. He didn't sell his story, and I'm sure his is quite similar.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
miloman said:
Maybe his people did shop the story and no one was willing to pay. He shows a reluctance to get a proper job. I think a lot of us dreamed of being a professional cyclist, but when that didn't work out and we had bills to pay, we tried somethig else. He probably can't fall into an industry job -- who would want him reping for them. What is Tyler Hamilton doing these days? He must have figured out how to make a living after being sanctioned. He didn't sell his story, and I'm sure his is quite similar.

Heh! Shorter miloman: I hate Floyd Landis. The End. Oh, and dreaming of being a professional cyclist and actually winning the TDF (however briefly) are two completely different things.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
miloman said:

No - he sent emails to some sporting and anti-doping authorities.

Also - he had a job (and a loyal sponsor) up until May.
Tyler runs his own coaching course.

The highlighted appears to suggest that Floyd has been paid for 'selling his story' - can you tell me who has paid him for it?

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
No - he sent emails to some sporting and anti-doping authorities.

Also - he had a job (and a loyal sponsor) up until May.
Tyler runs his own coaching course.

The highlighted appears to suggest that Floyd has been paid for 'selling his story' - can you tell me who has paid him for it?

Unless I'm mistaken, he stands to make millions if the case against Armstrong holds up and his whistle blower case pays off. And how do you know he wasn't paid anything? Even if they flew him out to the studio or put him up in a hotel with roomservice, he benefitted from telling his story. Tyler on the other hand has not been on any show that I know of and has not said a thing to the media.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
miloman said:
Unless I'm mistaken, he stands to make millions if the case against Armstrong holds up and his whistle blower case pays off. And how do you know he wasn't paid anything? Even if they flew him out to the studio or put him up in a hotel with roomservice, he benefitted from telling his story. Tyler on the other hand has not been on any show that I know of and has not said a thing to the media.

Thats a big if - and even if he does get any payment he could be waiting years.

Again if he is so broke why not sell his story now - guaranteed fast payment.

So - people doing interviews are supposed to pay their own airfare and accommodation?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Thats a big if - and even if he does get any payment he could be waiting years.

Again if he is so broke why not sell his story now - guaranteed fast payment.

So - people doing interviews are supposed to pay their own airfare and accommodation?
At this point who really cares about his story. Maybe 70 people on cyclingnews and 70 on velonews. We know his whole story and he aint gettin anther 25 big ones from me. fooled me once Floyd

Altitude said:

Who is the man
That would risk his neck for his brother man?
(Floyd!)
Can ya dig it?

Who's the cat that won't cop out
When there's Armstrong all about
(Floyd!)
Right on

You see this cat Floyd is a bad mother--
(Shut your mouth)
But I'm talkin' about Floyd
(Then we can dig it)

He's a complicated man

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
miloman said:
He shows a reluctance to get a proper job. I think a lot of us dreamed of being a professional cyclist, but when that didn't work out and we had bills to pay, we tried somethig else...

Ok, Floyd 2006 Tour winner. You...Walter Mitty on a bike. You're right, it's basically the same thing. Floyd should emulate you and get a "proper" job! :p

(As long as you're fueling your obsession with all facets of Floyd's being, for what it's worth, I don't think he has child support payments. He never adopted his ex-wife's daughter.)

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
NashbarShorts said:
Ok, Floyd 2006 Tour winner. You...Walter Mitty on a bike. You're right, it's basically the same thing. Floyd should emulate you and get a "proper" job! :p

(As long as you're fueling your obsession with all facets of Floyd's being, for what it's worth, I don't think he has child support payments. He never adopted his ex-wife's daughter.)

Point being everyone has expenses. I don't know what his overhead is, but he has to meet finacial obligation just like you and I. I get the sense he feels entitled to something or is owed. Cycling is a cruel mistress who rarely makes good on promises. I feel for him, but I also feel for the many riders who chose not to dope and never got a chance to compete at the highest level. They never got the chance to see just how good they were because of riders like Floyd.

miloman said:

wow, that'll help pay the bills...

BroDeal said:
Who is the man
That would risk his neck for his brother man?
(Floyd!)
Can ya dig it?

Who's the cat that won't cop out
When there's Armstrong all about
(Floyd!)
Right on

You see this cat Floyd is a bad mother--
(Shut your mouth)
But I'm talkin' about Floyd
(Then we can dig it)

He's a complicated man

Gold!

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
miloman said:
Point being everyone has expenses. I don't know what his overhead is, but he has to meet finacial obligation just like you and I. I get the sense he feels entitled to something or is owed. Cycling is a cruel mistress who rarely makes good on promises. I feel for him, but I also feel for the many riders who chose not to dope and never got a chance to compete at the highest level. They never got the chance to see just how good they were because of riders like Floyd.

I would like to know how old Floyd was when he first began doping. What dope did he try first, was he a jr. or a senior, who introduced him to doping and who did he beat when he first doped.

By knowing things like this the trail of dopers and dope providers can be followed, just as credit card statements can lead to a cheating spouse ie;dummy cell phones, meals out, jewelery, gifts,hotel bills etc.

If Floyd was an anti doper he would provide the information above to the authorities. Not for money, not to absolve his conscience but for the future of the jrs. and senior amatuer riders whom he might steer away from a negative path.

First thing I see which is disturbing to me are those who sell PEDs on the internet...

On behalf of the National Baseball league I have to say their commercial during the World Series against steroid use; which was directed at children in sport was impressive.

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
I would like to know how old Floyd was when he first began doping. What dope did he try first, was he a jr. or a senior, who introduced him to doping and who did he beat when he first doped.
By knowing things like this the trail of dopers and dope providers can be followed, just as credit card statements can lead to a cheating spouse ie;dummy cell phones, meals out, jewelery, gifts,hotel bills etc. . . . If Floyd was an anti doper he would provide the information above to the authorities. Not for money, not to absolve his conscience but for the future of the jrs. and senior amatuer riders whom he might steer away from a negative path.

You hit the nail on the head. That is what bugs me. He needs to come clean, completely clean, tell the story from the beginning and then, maybe then, his motives will seem sincere. As it stands, his motives appear too self-serving to take seriously. He doesn’t strike me as someone who wants things to really change, just profit from blowing the whistle.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
miloman said:
You hit the nail on the head. That is what bugs me. He needs to come clean, completely clean, tell the story from the beginning and then, maybe then, his motives will seem sincere. As it stands, his motives appear too self-serving to take seriously. He doesn’t strike me as someone who wants things to really change, just profit from blowing the whistle.

Floyd is an accountant, a record keeper. The man knows all. It is his choice if he will tell all. Lance knows it, LeMond knows, it the UCI knows it, WADA knows it, everyone knows it. Floyd is awesome, it is his choice.

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I thought I read the timeline as outlined for Floyd's doping somewhere. At any rate, I don't think it began on the dirt (XC), but he was instantly exposed once with Mercury.

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
Floyd is an accountant, a record keeper. The man knows all. It is his choice if he will tell all. Lance knows it, LeMond knows, it the UCI knows it, WADA knows it, everyone knows it. Floyd is awesome, it is his choice.

So, we are all getting "played" by Landis? That make me think even less of him and suspect his motives even more! Sounds like he's on the scent of $ not truth and justice. When you put it that way, it "kinda" sounds like extortion.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
miloman said:
So, we are all getting "played" by Landis? That make me think even less of him and suspect his motives even more! Sounds like he's on the scent of $ not truth and justice. When you put it that way, it "kinda" sounds like extortion.

I am serious here with this question. What would you rather have, that he didn't say anything and just followed suit, like all the other riders. Or that he at least state certain things and at least bring some of the doping out in the open and implicating doctors and DS's?

Also: Flicker, do you have anything to base what you just wrote?

It's also funny that none of those attacking Floyd says anything about blackmail anymore.:rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS