• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why does Wiggins get more favoritism than Menchov? Look a their resumes.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
K-0tic said:
A) Menchov is coming of a bad year and has not shown himself during this season.
B) Menchov is Russian, which means he naturally does not attract many "Western" cycling fans who hang around here.
C) Menchov is shy and rarely shows emotion, even in press reports.
D) Menchov is not a rider who is explosive nor very attacking

I think this combination tells the story.

I'd also add that the team Denis rides on is one of the most disliked teams in the peloton among the forums members.
Speaking of which, where's El_Pistolero?

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Wiggins is a logic favorite because of his perfect season so far, a strong team to support him and everything focused on the yellow jersey this year. Menchov hasn't showed much this season, last season was a pretty much lost year.
In GT results Menchov is by far the most succesful of course but those results are from a while ago.
A second point is media attention. Wiggins is more interesting, has something to tell and easier accesible because he is British and a lot of media are anglophone. Menchov doesn't like media, and doesn't have much to say to them. So not very interesting and less accesible because of the language.
But everything can change quickly when Menchov performs well.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:
I disagree. The reason stated by the previous poster are very valid...forums have nothing to do with that.

You're welcome to disagree all you want.
This is a forum we're on, and my point was on why Wigans gets more favoritism on this forum. So yeah, I think forums have something to do with that.

If we're to only discuss the media - I can ask a question "Why does Menchov get more favoritism in the Russian media than Wigans". Does anyone really need an answer to that question?

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Some people in this thread argue that Menchov's good results date from the Stone Age, and hence count for nothing anymore. May I remind you that he was on the Tour podium just two years ago? And last year he didn't participate.

On the same grounds you're dismissing Menchov, you might as well dismiss Jurgen VDB.

Good post! Menchov is still younger than Evans, so he is not THAT old. I think his results from 2010 are still important to look at.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
British inferiority complex.
Ever since they lost importance in the world, they have to overhype their sports men in order to stay meaningful as a nation.

Lol. I am not British but can see you're full of **** :rolleyes: :eek:

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Fetisoff said:
Oh, come on. That's classic BR for you.
Actually, when he gets away from hyping Tony Martin he's a brilliant poster in his own right :D

The only thing I've seen from him except Martin is about Atoc and it's beautiful tarmac :eek: :D ATOC is best race in the world, right ? :D

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
The only thing I've seen from him except Martin is about Atoc and it's beautiful tarmac :eek: :D ATOC is best race in the world, right ? :D

Well, let's wait for some comments from Karpets/Rujas/Lulu on how good the tarmac is at this TDF, they did a close inspection of it yesterday

You guys never heared of the "British inferiority complex"
That's quiet a common phrase.
Not hating or something. iam sure one of the British poster can comment on that. It's just a fact that especially british media tries to overcome the "we have lost our empire" with extrme overhyping of rather useless things. Such as sportsmen.
If Wiggo was Swedish he wouldn get half the afme and no one would think he is the inavoidable Tour winner.
If David Beckham was Swedish, nobody would have ever consiedered him an elite player.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
If David Beckham was Swedish, nobody would have ever consiedered him an elite player.

My favorite is Andrew Musgrave, the British nordic skier. Everytime the announcers talk a ton about how much progress he is making, and how fast he is starting out. Then he inevitably finishes in the 70s :eek:

The Hitch said:
Why should anyone take him seriously when his previous postings argue violently that lance ( and.menchov and the schleck bros ) are the beacons of clean cycling but contador should be given a life ban.

This not being the clinic and my being well aware of the OP's rep I decided to only question his as usual over-the-top statements at the end of his opening post. I was hesitant to respond at all based on this but I've been itching to respond to anything.:)

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
That's quiet a common phrase.
Not hating or something. iam sure one of the British poster can comment on that. It's just a fact that especially british media tries to overcome the "we have lost our empire" with extrme overhyping of rather useless things. Such as sportsmen.
If Wiggo was Swedish he wouldn get half the afme and no one would think he is the inavoidable Tour winner.

Our media tend to exaggerate everything. When things are going right, it's world domination on the horizon. When things go wrong, we say that it's typical Britain, never winning anything. Mark Cavendish has had a lot of press over the last few years for actually being a winner - the implication being that we don't really expect our athletes to be world-beaters. If you think we're guilty of optimism, try spending

I David Beckham was Swedish, perhaps not, but Beckham is famous as a celebrity as much as a footballer - his fame rests on his looks, a wife who was a superstar and a bit of over-hyping. A Swedish equivalent of him is Fredrik Ljungberg - another good-looking man perhaps more famous than his talent deserves.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:

If David Beckham looked like Bauke Mollema it wouldn't matter if he was Swedish, British or Mexican - he wouldn't be a celebrity

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Why bash Beckham? he was (for like 10 years ago) an absolutely decent football player :p
And noone can say a bad thing about his wife :eek:

She's too skinny for me, rather have David *swoon*

May 26, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Greatest riders professional cycling has ever seen? Really?

He will never be confused to be the greatest, so the OP cearly was a troll. That said;

The list with riders who win 3 GT's (and all the other classifications) is not very long. To make a comparison: The best Dutch GT riders ever have two each (though that was the vuelta-TdF combo). Of course we can argue a lot back and forth if the best 100 cyclists ever deserve mentioning, but stating that Mencov is one of the best cyclists ever is not completely ridiculous. The argument could be made if you look at his Palmares.

One thing though... his bad year was with TWO GT top tens. Not his best year by all means, but it's hardly as dismal as some make it out to be.

Franklin said:
The list with riders who win 3 GT's (and all the other classifications) is not very long. To make a comparison: The best Dutch GT riders ever have two each (though that was the vuelta-TdF combo).

Of course we can argue a lot back and forth if the best 100 cyclists ever deserve mentioning, but stating that Mencov is one of the best cyclists ever is not completely ridiculous. The argument could be made if you look at his Palmares.

The OP is stating (obviously facetiously) that if Menchov wins the Tour it could be argued that he would be the greatest of all time. Is this what you're co-signing? Are you sure you want to do that?

Franklin said:
He will never be confused to be the greatest, so the OP cearly was a troll. That said;

The list with riders who win 3 GT's (and all the other classifications) is not very long. To make a comparison: The best Dutch GT riders ever have two each (though that was the vuelta-TdF combo). Of course we can argue a lot back and forth if the best 100 cyclists ever deserve mentioning, but stating that Mencov is one of the best cyclists ever is not completely ridiculous. The argument could be made if you look at his Palmares.

One thing though... his bad year was with TWO GT top tens. Not his best year by all means, but it's hardly as dismal as some make it out to be.

Okay.. one of the best cyclist ever.. I think of the top 10, top 20 best cyclists ever. Is Menchov really in there?

The Hitch said:
Why should anyone take him seriously when his previous postings argue violently that lance ( and.menchov and the schleck bros ) are the beacons of clean cycling but contador should be given a life ban.

He's obviously a troll, both because of what you mention and because of his statement that Menchov is one of the best cyclists ever and that a Tour win would even make him THE best ever.

Fetisoff said:
I'd also add that the team Denis rides on is one of the most disliked teams in the peloton among the forums members.
Speaking of which, where's El_Pistolero?
Hate and apathy are 2 very different things. People hate Vavlerde but still see him as a contender. they dont Menchov because they are ignorant. If they hated him they might rate him.

TRENDING THREADS