• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

With races being cancelled, what are you watching,?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Big ask I know, but anyone have English language versions? :) I have NBC Sports Gold but they don't offer videos from too far back. Also, most of what I can find on YouTube is either in a different language (like these, but seriously appreciate it and will still likely watch some) or short clips. I want to be able to watch a pivotal hourlong epic climb while riding my trainer. Commentary in a language I understand is nice because I often suffer and look down at my stem like Chris Froome...

Last edited:
Big ask I know, but anyone have English language versions? :) I have NBC Sports Gold but they don't offer videos from too far back. Also, most of what I can find on YouTube is either in a different language (like these, but seriously appreciate it and will still likely watch some) or short clips. I want to be able to watch a pivotal hourlong epic climb while riding my trainer. Commentary in a language I understand is nice because I often suffer and look down at my stem like Chris Froome...

I suppose this is the place for you. Then again, I like videos in Italian and Spanish a lot. Even though I don't understand everything, people like Auro Bulbarelli and Carlos de Andres always give me an additional thrill. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvdk8NYS7ItskDJhoTzG0Iw/videos

I suppose this is the place for you. Then again, I like videos in Italian and Spanish a lot. Even though I don't understand everything, people like Auro Bulbarelli and Carlos de Andres always give me an additional thrill. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvdk8NYS7ItskDJhoTzG0Iw/videos
Bulbarelli screaming "Ballaaan" when he attacked durning the 2008 WC RR and hearing the crowd go wild in the backgrround still gives me goosebumps.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LxJRG3jPCo

Reactions: SafeBet
WOW. That was quite an attack. Were the others sleeping or dead legs?
Great finish! There weren't many overview shots of the group from the helicopter, and they were very brief, so I don't know who was there. Chris Anker Sørensen seemed to pull the group, and Breschel eventually came 3rd. They could probably have caught Ballan if more riders were participating, but dit any other nations have more than 2 riders in the group?

Great finish! There weren't many overview shots of the group from the helicopter, and they were very brief, so I don't know who was there. Chris Anker Sørensen seemed to pull the group, and Breschel eventually came 3rd. They could probably have caught Ballan if more riders were participating, but dit any other nations have more than 2 riders in the group?

Apparently, Belgium had Nuyens and Jurgen Van Goolen. But what an odd group to decide a World Championship, also including Pfannberger, Grivko, Wegmann, Purito, Löfkvist and Gesink, and that's it.

Italy made the race hard early on and attacked with a few riders, while Bettini, the defending champion, was still sitting in the main group behind, teams like Spain and Belgium (some of the strongest teams) got caught with their pants down. That Italian NT was stacked with talent, really strong.
Italy had so much one day talent in those years: Bettini, Ballan, Rebellin, Cunego, Pozzato in his prime, Di Luca.
Very hard to deal with such a team.
In 2008 everything pointed to Bettini being the only captain: he had won the previous 2 editions, he was in super shape (2 Vuelta stage wins) and bound to retire at the end of the year. Instead he was used mainly as a decoy.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Italy had so much one day talent in those years: Bettini, Ballan, Rebellin, Cunego, Pozzato in his prime, Di Luca.
Very hard to deal with such a team.
In 2008 everything pointed to Bettini being the only captain: he had won the previous 2 editions, he was in super shape (2 Vuelta stage wins) and bound to retire at the end of the year. Instead he was used mainly as a decoy.

And the same thing had just happened at the Beijing Olympics where he and Valverde were just looking at each other, doing nothing. Nice to repeat that success in Varese.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH_n9CR59jo

10 years ago on this day... Time flies, wow. One of the best days I've ever experienced as a cycling fan and one of the most memorable rides of my favourite rider. It was such a pleasure to watch Ivan at his best. :hearteyes:
One of my favourite climbing performances, pure diesel power! Being able to talk to him was super awesome for me!
I also really love Pozzovivo smashing everyone on the ungodly steep Punta Veleno in the 2012 Giro del Trentino, his finest climbing performance.

Cunego looked like his Dog had died after finishing 2nd and winning the sprint in the group behind Ballan.

From the article I read (like 2013-2015) from Cunego's interview it was because Ballan attacked against team orders. I can't find the article anymore. Now I can understand why Cunego would be upset if that was the orders and I won the sprint but I don't understand why that's the orders when Italy has a clear advantage in that situation.

Plus he lost a once in a lifetime achievement so I'd be upset about that, even if my teammate (trade and national) won. I don't know what their relationship was like before this but another example let's say Gilbert won in front of GVA I bet GVA would not be pleased.

Any good youtube videos where the win happened because of a good descent? Like this one with Mick Rogers in Giro 2014, stage 11 (the winning move, as they say in chess, happened @ 30:25):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zutzkqB-OzY
The 11th stage of the 2005 Giro that finished in Zoldo Alto. Savoldelli attacks on the Duran descent (after everyone got dropped by Basso and Gibo on the hard part of the climb) to have a headstart on the final climb and outsprints Basso at the end.
The Duran ascent starts around 1:13:30, the descent starts at 1:45:18, Savoldelli's attack starts 1min later.

Reactions: el_angliru
The 11th stage of the 2005 Giro that finished in Zoldo Alto. Savoldelli attacks on the Duran descent (after everyone got dropped by Basso and Gibo on the hard part of the climb) to have a headstart on the final climb and outsprints Basso at the end.
Great. I've never watched that stage, so I'll watch the entire video this afternoon while enjoying a glass of wine.

And the same thing had just happened at the Beijing Olympics where he and Valverde were just looking at each other, doing nothing. Nice to repeat that success in Varese.
My favourite thing about Varese was that Ballan had just been dusted in a two-up sprint in Plouay by Pierrick Fédrigo, but the story was that he turned down an invite to the French Worlds team because he hadn't expected to be selected, and so he'd planned to finish his season and booked a family holiday that week.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Formula 1 when I have the time. Watched the 1999 European GP yesterday from their youtube channel ( Oh Frentzen... ). There are some great full races in their channel, including the title deciders 1997 Europe and 2012 Brazil ( an absolutely epic race, but the result was massively disappointing for me as an Alonso fan, as I think he was the best driver of the year and his performance throughout the year was legendary ).

I haven't taken much notice of it for about fifteen years, but I found that races were usually more interesting when a) the cars were less reliable, and b) when it rained (in particular on and off). Some races that spring to mind: Hungary 97, Spa 98, Hockenheim 00 (that moment with the McLaren 'protestor' was both infuriating and hilarious at the same time), Brazil 01, Barcelona 01 (rather boring race, but incredible last lap). From this era, strangely the year that I watched the least was '99 (not sure why), and it was probably the most interesting season. How in the hell did Frentzen almost win the championship in a Jordan?!

Reactions: Forever The Best
I actually don't mind the chop and change timeline. It does help explain how attitudes, rivalries, perceptions etc were formed, as well as add some context to some of the decisions made by the players and staff.

I think explaining things like the pre-Jackson Bulls and the shift in offensive strategy, the Detroit rivalry and Jordan's physical response, the shift to baseball and Jordan's rejuvenation certainly added to the whole story of the Bulls dynasty, even if it wasn't necessarily integral to the 1998 season.

I mostly wish Luc Longley was available, he was an underrated part of the team and had a rocky relationship with Jordan at first and his blocking and screening was more important than many realise.

The Last Dance was a rather engrossing doco, although that comes with bias from me, as the '90's Bulls are probably as interested in sport (or at least basketball) as I ever got (except for maybe the 2000 western conference finals). Being such a big fan, I had already heard most of it before, but there were a few new insights. I didn't mind the inconsistent timeline....the 98 season was important because of what had happened before....the 98 season or playoffs themselves weren't necessarily greater or more interesting than earlier Bulls championship runs (and contrary to the narrative, Jordan statistically wasn't as good, though he was also 35). A lot of important stuff was glossed over, or skipped entirely. For example, after all the talk of who should have been MVP, how could they not show Karl Malone's missed free throws in the dying seconds of Game 1 of the '97 Finals (which also included Pippen's classic "The Mailman doesn't deliver on Sundays" trash talk). And since they talked about the Bulls in the 94 season and playoffs without Jordan, how could they not mention the key Game 5 in New York where the Bulls lost by a mere play/decision (in contrast to the 93 playoffs where the Bulls won the pivotal game by only one play also)?

I agree that Longley should have been mentioned. He wasn't one of the most important players, but he was the starting centre on all three second three-peat teams. But he wasn't the only player who didn't receive his dues. Harper hardly received any kudos, yet he was a key aspect of the teams strangling perimeter D. He was usually more important to the team than Kerr, yet Steve received far more air time, because he hit one big shot, and because his father was tragically murdered (like Jordan's). Kukoc also could have been mentioned more in terms of scoring......31 points in Game 5 of the 98 Finals wasn't even mentioned.

Most casual fans probably believe that Reggie Miller was a better player than Patrick Ewing now.

But I loved the ending. They gave Scottie his due for toughing it out in Game 6.

Reactions: SafeBet

TRENDING THREADS