• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Politics

Page 839 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:

python said:
^perhaps an important IMF change, but hardly groundbreaking...

until and unless the international monetary fund changes its outdated governance model, the unfair dominance of a single super-state will continue serving as as a POLITICAL tool of the said state. just like its military dominance or the dollar status of a reserve currency.

hardly fair to the rest of the world, including the european economies save such economic giants like chine and india.

when the governance changes currently blocked by the us to extend its unfair advantage go through, only then it would be groundbreaking. my opinion.
I completely agree, but I think considering everything you've written then this change is as close to revolutionary as you can feasibly expect from the imf. Way more for the stance against the USA than for anything else. It isn't supposed to do that.

Maybe it's the first step to an actual change of governance.

Re:

Echoes said:
Well Trump was no change, it seems, back-pedalling on all his promises. I've always had doubts but for sure he was a better candidate than Hillary and Hillary would've withdrawn from Unesco as well, for the same reason. This being said, Unesco is crap.

The Israelis leave Unesco too http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41598991

The decision follows a string of Unesco decisions that have drawn criticism from the US and Israel.

In 2011 the US cut its funding to the agency in protest at its decision to grant full membership to the Palestinians.

And last year, Israel suspended co-operation with Unesco after the agency adopted a controversial resolution which made no reference to Jewish ties to a key holy site in Jerusalem.

The resolution also criticised Israel's activities at holy places in Jerusalem and the occupied West Bank.

Then earlier this year, Mr Netanyahu condemned Unesco for declaring the Old City of Hebron in the West Bank a Palestinian World Heritage site.

He accused Unesco of ignoring Judaism's ancient connection to the city, which includes the crypt where its matriarchs and patriarchs are buried.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
...so, as i type we are witnessing 2 giant failures of one of the crucial democratic principles called referendum.

thankfully, it is still peaceful in in catalonia. the central govt demand for a clarification has passed today w/o an answer from the catalonia leaders. we'll have to see what's next. just for a note, while i am perfectly neutral on the catalonia events, i am of the opinion their referendum was illegitimate if measured by the democratic and transparent principles.

not so in the iraqi kurdistan. there, 3/4 of the population voted overwhelmingly for the independence. yet, as of this morning there are reports of the kurdish-iraqi clashes around kirkuk...

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
^^both of your links are identical about mugabe.

on a different note, i am quite surprised, given how well the kurds are armed and having a reputation for being formidable soldiers, how easy it was for the iraqi govt to seize the entire kirkuk... :rolleyes:

just does not jive with the loud independence/sovereignty statements nor with the crucial economic significance kirkuk plays in the kurdish economy (they lost 40% something of oil plus other infrastructure....) neither the iraqi army, at least in its present condition barely overcoming several hundred of isis fighters around mosul, is anything to fear much.

there is only one explanation, imo, the kurds were probably given an ultimatum by the outside players (iran, turkey) would they have resorted to arms.. which is a big loss for the zionist state - the only overt state supporter of the kurdish separation from iraq...i am lost as to what is/was the REAL trump position as the clown keeps twitting...

Re:

python said:

on a different note, i am quite surprised, given how well the kurds are armed and having a reputation for being formidable soldiers, how easy it was for the iraqi govt to seize the entire kirkuk... :rolleyes:

just does not jive with the loud independence/sovereignty statements nor with the crucial economic significance kirkuk plays in the kurdish economy (they lost 40% something of oil plus other infrastructure....) neither the iraqi army, at least in its present condition barely overcoming several hundred of isis fighters around mosul, is anything to fear much.

there is only one explanation, imo, the kurds were probably given an ultimatum by the outside players (iran, turkey) would they have resorted to arms.. which is a big loss for the zionist state - the only overt state supporter of the kurdish separation from iraq...i am lost as to what is/was the REAL trump position as the clown keeps twitting...
crap you're right. I'll fix that.

Do you reckon Iran would benefit with a pact with the Kurds to help form a Kurdistan (I know part of kurdistan would be slightly in Iran, but it's a very small part that can be easily compromised)? How are iranian-turkish relations doing right now? Better or still icy?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
python said:

crap you're right. I'll fix that.

Do you reckon Iran would benefit with a pact with the Kurds to help form a Kurdistan (I know part of kurdistan would be slightly in Iran, but it's a very small part that can be easily compromised)? How are iranian-turkish relations doing right now? Better or still icy?
good questions !

while i try to read, even study everything informative about the region (the mideast), my knowledge is just another opinion. no more.

re. the 1st question, it would seem that everything iran had done to date wrt to kurds is the opposite of seeking a kurdish statehood. their reasons are similar to those of turkey - that is, the fear of creating an anti iran entity on their border, which is the main reason israel supports the kurdish state. another big reason is that iran is clearly betting on increasing their influence on the iraqi Shiite govt (and thus strengthening the anti-saud cards) instead of making amends with a rebellious kurds...that said, as far as i recall some good background articles, the iranian kurds (of the 4 kurdish groups - the syrian, iraqi, turkish, and iranian) were the least militant or rebellious against the host nation. there was and still is a relative calm btwn the kurds and the irranians, at least compared to turkey, syria and iraq. it is generally under reported in the west that iran is a multi ethnic state with a relatively moderate, if not tolerant policy towards the minorities ...

regarding your second question, iran and turkey are not only on the mend right now, but appear enjoying the anti american angle of the rapprochement. the coagulating points - briefly - are about their common positions on the kurdish independence, rejection of the saudi qatar sanctions and, MUCH MORE SIGNIFICANT, their work as cosponsors of the syrian peace negotiations along with russia. below are some informative analytical links on the subject

ANALYSIS: Turkey seeks Iran 'alliance' against Kurds as US pull wanes
http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/analysis-iran-turkey-alliance-targets-kurd-threat-us-pull-wanes-2095294035
Erdogan: Turkey and Iran discussing joint action against Kurds
http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/erdogan-says-turkey-and-iran-discussing-joint-action-against-kurdish-militants-1573023962

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
On 16 October, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation aired an interview with Hillary Clinton: one of many to promote her score-settling book about why she was not elected President of the United States.

Wading through the Clinton book, What Happened, is an unpleasant experience, like a stomach upset. Smears and tears. Threats and enemies. “They” (voters) were brainwashed and herded against her by the odious Donald Trump in cahoots with sinister Slavs sent from the great darkness known as Russia, assisted by an Australian “nihilist”, Julian Assange.

In The New York Times, there was a striking photograph of a female reporter consoling Clinton, having just interviewed her. The lost leader was, above all, “absolutely a feminist”. The thousands of women’s lives this “feminist” destroyed while in government — Libya, Syria, Honduras — were of no interest.

In New York magazine, Rebecca Traister wrote that Clinton was finally “expressing some righteous anger”. It was even hard for her to smile: “so hard that the muscles in her face ache”. Surely, she concluded, “if we allowed women’s resentments the same bearing we allow men’s grudges, America would be forced to reckon with the fact that all these angry women might just have a point”.

Drivel such as this, trivialising women’s struggles, marks the media hagiographies of Hillary Clinton. Her political extremism and warmongering are of no consequence. Her problem, wrote Traister, was a “damaging infatuation with the email story”. The truth, in other words.

The leaked emails of Clinton’s campaign manager, John Podesta, revealed a direct connection between Clinton and the foundation and funding of organised jihadism in the Middle East and Islamic State (IS). The ultimate source of most Islamic terrorism, Saudi Arabia, was central to her career.

One email, in 2014, sent by Clinton to Podesta soon after she stepped down as US Secretary of State, discloses that Islamic State is funded by the governments of Saudi Arabia and Qatar. Clinton accepted huge donations from both governments for the Clinton Foundation.

As Secretary of State, she approved the world’s biggest ever arms sale to her benefactors in Saudi Arabia, worth more than $80 billion. Thanks to her, US arms sales to the world – for use in stricken countries like Yemen – doubled.

This was revealed by WikiLeaks and published by The New York Times. No one doubts the emails are authentic. The subsequent campaign to smear WikiLeaks and its editor-in-chief, Julian Assange, as “agents of Russia”, has grown into a spectacular fantasy known as “Russiagate”. The “plot” is said to have been signed off by Vladimir Putin himself. There is not a shred of evidence.

The ABC Australia interview with Clinton is an outstanding example of smear and censorship by omission. I would say it is a model.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/10/20/clinton-assange-and-the-war-on-truth/

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
A recent Brown University Study showed that, between 2001 and 2016, the cost of wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and Pakistan has cost the US $3.6 trillion.

~ Ramzy Baroud

Imagine if you will that the U.S. had instead put $3.6 trillion into measures to improve infrastructure around the world. It has been estimated by the UNDP that to give the entire world fresh water and sanitation would cost half a trillion. That leaves $3.1 trillion for further projects. Now what would the U.S. have gained by being the country known for giving the entire world a glass a water and a place to ***? Think on it.

The first obvious effect would be a tremendous uplift to U.S. prestige. That is so obvious as to be unnecessary to argue. The public relations value of such an act would echo for generations. In addition, it would give the U.S. reputation a saintly glow that would render it all but immune to attacks of any kind. Who after all would sympathize with any who attacked such a country? Who would not come to its defense?

This of course would only be the beginning as there is $3.1 trillion still to go. The next thing the U.S. could do would be to give light to the world. I.e. To create small scale solar and wind power along with battery storage so that every village of the world no matter how remote would be able to light their way through the night. One of the biggest obstacles to schooling in the undeveloped world is that the children cannot read and study after sundown. I know of no studies as to what this would cost. What one can say with assurance is that as compared to the massive infrastructure requirements for water and sanitation the costs would be less for such an initiative. Let’s say $300 billion just to be safe. That leaves $2.8 trillion.

So now the U.S. is the country that has given the entire world a glass of water and a place to *** and the country that has lit the night. Again the goodwill that this would create is hard to overestimate. Again the U.S. would massively enhance its reputation and further immunize itself as a target. Again, who would sympathize with anyone who struck such a country?

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/10/23/looking-for-a-glass-of-water-and-a-place-to-***/

They should do the same in Brussels (while making sure that the people living in find new housing of course).

Functionalist modern concrete architecture such as Le Corbusier's, Niemeyer's, Wright's or Mies van der Rohe's is so ugly.

Just compare it to Neuschwanstein.

If I remember well, Prince Charles tried to defend architectural harmony back in the eighties and tried to create a village in that way. In this respect I'm on his side.

The momentum is there, now hopefully something fundamental will be done to make sure the (super-) rich actually pay their dues. Lump it together with the money carroussel of the mega-multinationals please. Think of what good could be done with all that money. Proper universal health care, investments in public transport, green energy, real aid for the developing world, etc. etc.

Re:

Jagartrott said:
The momentum is there, now hopefully something fundamental will be done to make sure the (super-) rich actually pay their dues. Lump it together with the money carroussel of the mega-multinationals please. Think of what good could be done with all that money. Proper universal health care, investments in public transport, green energy, real aid for the developing world, etc. etc.

Without legal changes nothing can be done. Name a rich person or company that doesn't minimize their taxes.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Jagartrott said:

Without legal changes nothing can be done. Name a rich person or company that doesn't minimize their taxes.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v25/n03/robert-brenner/towards-the-precipice

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Jagartrott said:

Well, as this article indicates the Netherlands is one of the worst tax havens in the world and actually our newly formed government announced measures which more or less constitute further corporate tax cuts! Because who cares about the rest of the world? As long as we benefit from it, our current government has zero fucks to give about basically stealing other countries' tax money. :eek:

I was just reading an interview with our prime minister who defended the new tax cut by arguing we need it to stay competitive in keeping multinationals in the Netherlands (despite the fact that we are already a tax haven compared to all neighbouring countries) for creating jobs and alluding to the lack of multinationals and job shortage of our southern neighbours, he literally said: "we don't want to become a second Belgium". Really, the guy has zero fucks to give. He's been caught lying, ignored a referendum, extremely inconsistent with regard to ethical and social issues, giving away issues to whatever coalition party he needs to collaborate with. It seems that all he cares about is the economy and as long he gets in the money, apparently Dutch folks keep voting on him, because his on his third term already and the Dutch economy is doing great. :D

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
in a manifest defiance and as a sign of utter failure of the us foreign policy, north korea just tested yet another missile...

what happened to the us president praises of china's 'positive role' after his lavish visit there just a week ago ?
why the growing in their ferocity american threats are as effective as a pyss in a wind ?
why the collection of 3 aircraft carrier groups off the korean shores dont scare the fatface ?

i always thought that if something is repeated over and over despite the consistent failures it can be called STUPID. has the state department run out of brains ?

Status
Not open for further replies.