• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Your local weather

Page 59 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sydney: Summer officially ends with on Monday and it’s been cool and wet, not many hot days. I believe this is due to the current La Niña cycle.

Still raining here so in about 40 minutes I'll be back on the indoor trainer staring at my garage wall. :(.

More floods expected in the next 24-48 hours. This continues the trend after a cool and wet summer here. My neighbors across the street are from England they say it felt like they were back home :astonished:

In Sydney we had water restrictions on December 1st, today all the major dams are at 100% capacity and overflowing.

So all you folk complaining about drought on the west coast of USA, we see the opposite on the western side of the Pacific. Its called La Niña.

Sydney in Summer 2022 (bom.gov.au)

Summer has arrived in Eugene - last week it was still raining and in the high 60s, yesterday it was sunny and about 90F and there is no rain in the forecast. It was so nice (and economical) not having to set the sprinklers for a while but I can't put it off any longer, it's hard to judge just how hot and long this summer will be. Last year's 100F+ temps I'm sure everyone in this area can do without.

Reactions: jmdirt
Summer has arrived in Eugene - last week it was still raining and in the high 60s, yesterday it was sunny and about 90F and there is no rain in the forecast. It was so nice (and economical) not having to set the sprinklers for a while but I can't put it off any longer, it's hard to judge just how hot and long this summer will be. Last year's 100F+ temps I'm sure everyone in this area can do without.
Same here in Boise...

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Same here in Boise...
Do you have a plan about what you're gonna do if you need a/c? I think you had some kind of issues last year because of the heat...

I'm currently taking a break from setting the sprinklers, am finding one problem after another. (So far I've managed to stab myself with a screwdriver only once, very bad language is being used.) I want the rain and cooler weather back already! :mad:

Do you have a plan about what you're gonna do if you need a/c? I think you had some kind of issues last year because of the heat...

I'm currently taking a break from setting the sprinklers, am finding one problem after another. (So far I've managed to stab myself with a screwdriver only once, very bad language is being used.) I want the rain and cooler weather back already! :mad:
Our HVAC issue is that when its 90+ day after day with no night cooling the system can't get the 2nd floor southern exposure cool. I was going to get a portable unit for that part of the house...still might.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
We experienced a rare and real thunderstorm directly above Eugene last night... usually we see t-storms somewhere off in the distance, but not directly over the city. It was marvelous and spectacular, the hailstorm following it was a little freaky though. All of a sudden it started pounding on the roof, I've never seen hail nearly the size of golf balls before. The sudden rain was most welcome though, it hasn't rained here for weeks and we've been reaching temps of 100F.

Dams still full here:

Here’s why:
They have to be. We are overdue for a dry spell and the last one lasted a long time. Some cities like Goulburn ran almost completely dry and out west they were sending in the water trucks and bottled water.

They have to be. We are overdue for a dry spell and the last one lasted a long time. Some cities like Goulburn ran almost completely dry and out west they were sending in the water trucks and bottled water.
Been meaning to reply to you:-

We are referring here to natural weather cycles. I am aware of the heat and drought in Europe and North America. I felt it was useful to let people know we have the opposite down under - at least on our east coast. Also, if you read the article I linked it says this:

All global forecast models are forecasting wetter than usual weather is more likely for much of Australia across spring and into early summer

It also says this ..

While La Niña threatens to bring flooding a wet summer can bring benefits to farmers across the tropics and should suppress bushfire activity for the third consecutive year.

So some good news and we will have full dams in February if this is correct. However, not enough water is being captured now for the inevitable dry period that will follow. Sydney's major dam was constructed in 1960 when the population was 3 million people less.

Been meaning to reply to you:-

We are referring here to natural weather cycles. I am aware of the heat and drought in Europe and North America. I felt it was useful to let people know we have the opposite down under - at least on our east coast. Also, if you read the article I linked it says this:

It also says this ..

So some good news and we will have full dams in February if this is correct. However, not enough water is being captured now for the inevitable dry period that will follow. Sydney's major dam was constructed in 1960 when the population was 3 million people less.
Yes the last two dams on the agenda have both been cancelled. The one out at western NSW they were considering also sounds doubtful now. They seem to think there is no need for another dam ! Think of all the rainwater from northern Australia that goes to waste. If not a dam a few reservoirs with the ability to pipe water elsewhere would be good but Australia is a huge country and the infrastructure costs of such developments are big with the distances involved, but I'm surprised that QLD at least cancelled their dam project considering how much rain they often do get while western QLD continues to struggle. Maybe at the moment they are okay as the rain just hasn't just been around the coast lately. Don't think Tasmania needs another dam as was proposed but they too get huge rainfall compared to the rest of southern Australia. i know that one of the QLD dams was cancelled by Peter Garrett when he was the environment minister re endangered frogs and quality farm land.

Reactions: Cookster15
Yes the last two dams on the agenda have both been cancelled. The one out at western NSW they were considering also sounds doubtful now. They seem to think there is no need for another dam ! Think of all the rainwater from northern Australia that goes to waste. If not a dam a few reservoirs with the ability to pipe water elsewhere would be good but Australia is a huge country and the infrastructure costs of such developments are big with the distances involved, but I'm surprised that QLD at least cancelled their dam project considering how much rain they often do get while western QLD continues to struggle. Maybe at the moment they are okay as the rain just hasn't just been around the coast lately. Don't think Tasmania needs another dam as was proposed but they too get huge rainfall compared to the rest of southern Australia. i know that one of the QLD dams was cancelled by Peter Garrett when he was the environment minister re endangered frogs and quality farm land.
Agree. We only seem to worry about lack of water during droughts. The time we should worry is like right now when countless gigalitres flow out to sea. Some extra hydro electricity might be useful too. But per your post I think the best way to find if endangered frogs exist in Australia is to try to build a dam. Endangered frogs everywhere ! ;)

Reactions: movingtarget
Weather has been up and down here in Eugene - one day it's cloudy and in the low 80s, the next sunny and in the mid to upper 90s. Not my fave time of year as I'm tired of the summer heat by now, but I do at least enjoy the crickets. Hearing the crickets at night makes me think of camping, which makes me think of bonfires and hiking around and kayaking on the lake - good times in the past, good times. :)

Reactions: jmdirt and tobydawq
Septembers are getting bad here:

From 99F to 65F within just a couple of days, that's a pretty drastic dip. (Get all your clothes out, one minute you're wearing shorts and the next a sweater. I just hate these kind of temp fluctuations.)

TRENDING THREADS