• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Fleche Wallonne (17 April)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 Fleche Wallonne?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Wilba60 said:
As I mentioned earlier I am sure OGE will take in the same plan as last year and Albasini will be the designated rider. He is in similar form to last year and his ride to cover moves at Amstel will have been with Flech Wallonne in mind. My feeling is that they will save Weening for support for Gerrans at Liege and someone like Sulzburger or Clarke will go on the attack and let Alba cruise in the peleton. Or they will leave them to look after Alba and use one of the Meier, Meyer's to go up the road.

I think the race suits Albasini who usually does well at Amstel and Fleche. Gerrans is doing the right thing resting up for Liege. Would like to see some of the GE riders look to get into breaks, early and late in the race especially Clarke.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
Quintana i think was viewed as more of a GC threat than Henao- maybe why Contador attempted to follow Quintana a bit more.

Also Quintana rode very well at Emilia and GDL- on the steep hills, even though he may not have the same acceleration as Henao, on hills- he still has quite a big chance.

acceleration is menaingless on walls. nodboy can accelerate, it is pure power. quintana doesn't know the race though and he nheeds to start the mur in front

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
acceleration is menaingless on walls. nodboy can accelerate, it is pure power. quintana doesn't know the race though and he nheeds to start the mur in front
Yeah, Gilbert didn't accelerate at all in 2011 :confused:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Roderick said:
Yeah, Gilbert didn't accelerate at all in 2011 :confused:

he only accelerated because he pushed more power than the rest. you don't have to be an explosive rider to do that on steep walls. that's why you saw guys like nibali in front in wp all the time, or even kloden I remember.

haha klodi's attack was suicidal, 2010 i guess, right at the foot of the mur.
that's how you don't win fleche wallonne

you are both right, you can do it like cadel,kirchen,rebellin,albasini or like phil,purito
the important is to push those 550 + watts out there on the mur

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
he only accelerated because he pushed more power than the rest. you don't have to be an explosive rider to do that on steep walls. that's why you saw guys like nibali in front in wp all the time, or even kloden I remember.

So a guy like Purito regularly win at those monsterclimbs because he can push more power than the rest?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Did he say anything about his condition in the press conference?

I'm inclined to think there's a bit of bluffing going on.

I always have the impression purito likes to talk big in interviews.

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:

Reminds me of three guys a few years ago. :D

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
movingtarget said:
One of his best wins. Timed it perfectly and was so strong.

Exactly , in fact since there is no overwhelming favorite for tomorrow , I think this time it can be won like Evans did in 2010.

Lupetto said:
Reminds me of three guys a few years ago. :D

Wow , that's ones of the worst win I've ever seen :eek:

It looks like they're not even trying. Were they even trying ?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
3 massive guys TT'ing away from everyone, climbing at 50 rpm on the big ring without opening their mouth...That's both depressing and hilarious.

I hope the winner tomorrow will at least pretend to be tired :p

I wish sky haters would look at this and stop whining. guys like furlan that barely had any talent

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Chris Froome and Richie Porte on the other hand...

porte started cycling very late, but was an amazing talent ever since going to road cycling. froome had great results in u23. I posted them before but you didn't respond of course because you as always have no idea about riders pasts. porte at least is realistis, he improved a lot his climbing, when dropping weight, and his itt has become worse in past year.

but that is mostly beside teh point. see how ridiuclous they climbed the mur here. have you seen sky do that yet in any race? :rolleyes:

Ryo Hazuki said:
porte started cycling very late, but was an amazing talent ever since going to road cycling. froome had great results in u23. I posted them before but you didn't respond of course because you as always have no idea about riders pasts. porte at least is realistis, he improved a lot his climbing, when dropping weight, and his itt has become worse in past year.

but that is mostly beside teh point. see how ridiuclous they climbed the mur here. have you seen sky do that yet in any race? :rolleyes:

no, i dont expect anyone to do 1994 type performances for pretty obvious reasons.

The point of my post is just me laughing at is your belief that you know who is talented and who isnt.

Like how you come out and say Vino and Pantani were the most talented riders in the world and their wins were 100% talent and effort, while at the same time chiding others for being fakos with 0% talent. What formula do you have to decide who was real and who wasn't?

Really missed you over the last month btw. Especially was looking to see your take on whats going on with Rujano.

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Talent is overrated, tell me what is talent?
Sucess comes from dedication, hard work, attitude etc etc

An amateur with like 24 years can get to pro tour if he has all of this atributes, but it is rare, you see them in champions