• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

• Other/Garzelli

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
greenedge said:
Last year though Nibali raced a very full schedule, Oman, T-A, Classics (where he had great form) and then the TDF. This year if he did not race the Classics as much he might have better form for his GT the Giro.

That all said Wiggins rode a lot of races to before the TDF but Nibali made more of an effort in each- Wiggins in all but P-N had no real competition.

The reason why i think Nibali or someone else (mainly Gesink) could win is the days Wiggins has a bad day, they will not.

Wiggins usually has less bad days than Nibali and Gesink. I would not say that Wiggins had no competition but even Evans said recently that he was surprised how competitive Wiggins was and for how long in 2012. Although Evans was similar in 2011 when he also won Romandie and was second in Dauphine to add to Tirreno. He started the season well and kept it going. Classics before the Tour probably don't matter too much but before the Giro, Nibali is probably doing the right thing due to the much shorter break before the Giro. But I agree that Wiggins will have to have a bad day in the mountains to give the others some hope. It's all about whether he can replicate his Tour form. If he can, his opponents have the job ahead of them

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I feel like Nibali is just a product of anti-Skyism. :) Yeah, Wiggins prefers steady tempo and what? Is Nibali a super trouper attaccante??? NO. The Shark is a man who got used to survive and by and large he prefers steady rhythm as well. In short, Wiggins 60%, Nibali 20%, all the rest - 20%. :)

It would be interesting to see bookmakers' opinion. Sadly, we don't have it due to uncertainty of participants. But I'm sure Wiggins would of been a big favorite. Sky even don't have waste many resources for the win. Henao, Siutsou and Lopez would be enough.

The Hitch said:
The mountains in the giro aren't as hard this year. Still harder than the tour of course and far from easy but medium level compared.to.what they could do.They are even including some tour mountains - galibier.

They seem about as hard as last year to me and the MTFs are harder overall.

Galibier is very hard from the north. I don't mind that one at all... Wiggins won't like it. The fact that it's a short stage favors the climbers, IMO.

The two key mountain stages towards the end are legitimate 5-star stages, and in no way easier than last year's queen stages.

The first "soft" mountain stage is also much harder than usual and then there's the steep finish to Jaffereau. I'd rather have that one than a pointless stage to Cervinia.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Galibier is very hard from the north. I don't mind that one at all... Wiggins won't like it. The fact that it's a short stage favors the climbers, IMO.
Surely, it is a big threat if we consider Nibali a better climber than Wiggins. ;) I already see Indurain at La Plagne. Wiggins will appear in the same hypostasis. So to speak, dropping the opponents in a lazy fashion! :D

Owing to Il Killer's absence, I'll be cheering for Cobo actually. Hopefully, he will reconcile with Matxin and go prepared well. Then he is real candidate for Maglia Rosa.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
I feel like Nibali is just a product of anti-Skyism. :) Yeah, Wiggins prefers steady tempo and what? Is Nibali a super trouper attaccante??? NO. The Shark is a man who got used to survive and by and large he prefers steady rhythm as well. In short, Wiggins 60%, Nibali 20%, all the rest - 20%. :)

It would be interesting to see bookmakers' opinion. Sadly, we don't have it due to uncertainty of participants. But I'm sure Wiggins would of been a big favorite. Sky even don't have waste many resources for the win. Henao, Siutsou and Lopez would be enough.

that has nothing to do with it. nibali was liked before he faced wiggins. somehow he is very popular in this forum. completely non understandable to me either

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
that has nothing to do with it. nibali was liked before he faced wiggins. somehow he is very popular in this forum. completely non understandable to me either

A tireless descent attacker! :)

airstream said:
Surely, it is a big threat if we consider Nibali a better climber than Wiggins. ;) I already see Indurain at La Plagne. Wiggins will appear in the same hypostasis. So to speak, dropping the opponents in a lazy fashion! :D

Owing to Il Killer's absence, I'll be cheering for Cobo actually. Hopefully, he will reconcile with Matxin and go prepared well. Then he is real candidate for Maglia Rosa.

Indurain wasn't vurnerable in the mountains. Both Wiggins and Nibali are. Neither one of them will win on this course, IMO

Granted, Wiggins will probably win easily if the big climbs get scrapped because of the weather. He'll be the clear favorite if that happens.

As to Di Luca's "absence"... he will be there. He has all but signed with Vini.

http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?page=news&cod=55489&tp=n

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Indurain wasn't vurnerable in the mountains. Both Wiggins and Nibali are. Neither one of them will win on the known course, IMO

Granted, Wiggins will probably win easily if the big climbs get scrapped because of the weather. He'll be the clear favorite if that happens.

As to Di Luca's "absence"... he will be there. He has all but signed with Vini.

http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?page=news&cod=55489&tp=n

Everyone is vulnerable to greater or lesser extent. Who will win? We don't have anyone better. Kronplatz is the only cancelled stage for the last 10 years. Real snow downfall got to be that Galibier or Trecime would be cancelled. So we will see a real show. I'm not saying Nibali can not win. I don't believe that Nibali is able to offer an open mountain fight with lots of attacks. To hope that Wiggins will be cooked by 8-9% is too optimistic.

Hooray!!! Well, it's the end. The winner is known. :)

airstream said:
Everyone is vulnerable to greater or lesser extent. Who will win? We don't have anyone better.

True, some are more vulnerable than others. ;)

The most consistent climber will probably win. I hope Cobo can get his act together. Hautacam and Angliru proved that he has what it takes. Physically, at least. He'd be my favorite if he could replicate his 2011 Vuelta form. I also expect that some of the other contenders (like Basso) will be better prepared than last year.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Are there any technical downhill finishes in the Giro this year? Nibali could take some time there.

Ryo Hazuki said:

Why is it surprising that he's popular? Being a great rider doesn't have to be a prerequisite for popularity.

we'll see him a lot at the front of the race...

kiryienka-solo-280x421.jpg

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=58599

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:

why would he not be liked? He apparently has like half the talent of your Colombian riders you adore and yet attacks more than they do. He apparently isn't a good descender yet attacks during downhills and attempts to make things interesting. It's like you think because he isn't as talented as *insert Colombian elf here* he should instead lay down and never pop his head outside the peleton.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
whittashau said:
why would he not be liked? He apparently has like half the talent of your Colombian riders you adore and yet attacks more than they do. He apparently isn't a good descender yet attacks during downhills and attempts to make things interesting. It's like you think because he isn't as talented as *insert Colombian elf here* he should instead lay down and never pop his head outside the peleton.

why are you bringen colombians up in this? did I? doesn't exactly make your argument any stronger

Eshnar said:
So the Sky train is complete! (If Cataldo is the ninth)

Looking at those nine they seem to be missing at least one diesel for the flat (someone like Pate, Stannard or Eisel). Sky probably have a long list of 12 or something for the Giro so for example it's probably unlikely that both Kennaugh and Dombrowski will ride considering the other climbers that are likely going (Porte, Henao, Kiryienka, Cataldo, Lopez).

There's also no obvious road captain and rather lacking in experience.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
JRanton said:
Looking at those nine they seem to be missing at least one diesel for the flat (someone like Pate, Stannard or Eisel). Sky probably have a long list of 12 or something for the Giro so for example it's probably unlikely that both Kennaugh and Dombrowski will ride considering the other climbers that are likely going (Porte, Henao, Kiryienka, Cataldo, Lopez).

There's also no obvious road captain and rather lacking in experience.

Lacking in experience ?

Wiggins, Kiryenka, Lopez are all experienced imo.

Obviously I think either Hayman / Stannard will go as flat workhorse. Puccio might be given a debut this year as well.

Gloin22 said:
Lacking in experience ?

Wiggins, Kiryenka, Lopez are all experienced imo.

Obviously I think either Hayman / Stannard will go as flat workhorse. Puccio might be given a debut this year as well.

Those three have experience but what will the communication and tactical input be like on the road? Wiggins is notorious for being terrible at that and the other two barely speak a word of English! (and from what I've read are rather quiet characters anyway).

A certain Australian will be a big miss I think.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
why are you bringen colombians up in this? did I? doesn't exactly make your argument any stronger

Isn't it obvious? Because they are seemingly riders you do like. You were berating the fondness people show Nibali on this forum. All I was asking is why would people dislike him? For his snarky comments against Wiggins on the last tour? Because as a cyclists he makes the best of what he has. And according to you he hasn't got much to work with. Whereas the Colombians you are always touting probably don't attack any more often than he does and are generally no where to be seen on downhill sections despite apparently being infinitely more talented. So enlighten me. What should we be looking for in a rider? Ones that resemble a Christmas elf? for the record, I am quite fond of several Colombian riders.

Status
Not open for further replies.