• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Tour de France, stage 16: Vaison-la-Romaine - Gap 168Km

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
BigMac said:
In stage 17 he was in the break and if i record correctly later joined by Valverde. Carried him for some time before Valverde attacked for the stage win. In LBL he did his best to stay and protect his leader, just watch. I know him and he'd never place is personal objectives over team ones. Believe me.

I believe what I see, which is exactly the opposite of what you keep saying.

In that stage 17, Valverde and Costa where in a leading group with Leipheimer and Martinez. Costa attacked them and gained a lead, then later Valverde attacked himself, caught Costa and left him. Costa didn't "carry him for quite some time", they didn't ride together more than just some hundred metres.

And I don't know which LBL you watched this year, but Costa did not stay with Valverde to protect him. He (wait for it) simply attacked to join a break when he saw it fit and was caught later.

Hugo87 said:
No, it's just like when Mollema and Tem Dam manage to stay with the best in Le Tour and Dutch fans go crazy.

Why we would be different, certainly when one of your favorite riders win with such class, you become happier than before.

I am not asking you to be different. Read what hrotha posted and i think jingoism might be the answer.

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
webvan said:
Mollema just talked on Eurosport...said he was fine today...that's not what it looked like, dude's gonna blow up in the Alps.

That Madeleine stage is going to be terrible, Pampelune 96 comes to mind...

lollll I have the same feeling.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I hope you're sarcastic.

So you dint see it how I saw it, for me Alberto had mor acc out of corners but Froome closed it down every time, I jumped like hell when Alberto almost wrecked Froome. Porte is looking great too, all in all a great stage.

Descender said:
I believe what I see, which is exactly the opposite of what you keep saying.

In that stage 17, Valverde and Costa where in a leading group with Leipheimer and Martinez. Costa attacked them and gained a lead, then later Valverde attacked himself, caught Costa and left him. Costa didn't "carry him for quite some time", they didn't ride together more than just some hundred metres.

And I don't know which LBL you watched this year, but Costa did not stay with Valverde to protect him. He (wait for it) simply attacked to join a break when he saw it fit and was caught later.

Do you have a favourite rider? :rolleyes: It is just that everytime you comment on Costa is to trash him and trash him only. l

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
cycladianpirate said:
Same reason you had to learn American English....DUDE ;)
Lol. I actually learned British English, I've just been corrupted by, well, everything really.

But to be fair, the difference between those two is relatively small in comparison.

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Broth3r said:
Lol. I actually learned British English, I've just been corrupted by, well, everything really.

But to be fair, the difference between those two is relatively small in comparison.

Well I'm afraid I'm a Brazilian Portuguese man - I lived there for a while. You're spot on about the difference - while I could converse with Latin American spanish speakers, I couldn't understand a word of 'real' Portuguese!!

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Rajna31 said:
Quintana might be crazy about leapfrogging Froome, but at least he is the one (along with Nieve) who could attack him in any way or form on an MTF stage. Contador has not come close to that, I don't see what how they could ally and what advantage would Quintana gain from it other than the descents. Even if they succeeded, Quintana would stay behind Contador in the GC when he clearly is in better shap, that's definetely not his goal. And as others have already noted, they are not allies since they're both serious contenders for 2nd.

my point is .. no one is going to attack anymore. Mollema is happy to be second. He is going to just suck wheel the hell out of it and protect his position. I know it's just logically won't make any sense. But Quintana, if he wants to be podium, he needs to attack. And the only person who doesn't care about placing, is contador. So from that point of view, they have the same common goal. After they distance everyone *especially mollema*, they can duke it out. Froome has no reason to attack. He got 4 minutes already. Unless, he likes to showboat his form this year, then that's another story.