• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour de France Stage 8: Rennes-Mur de Bretagne, 181.5km

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
After years of reading the posts (not participating) on this site, I guess I can keep quiet no longer!!! Some of the views posted on this site are hysterical at times, at times I wonder do some members even follow the sport. Who doesn't love debate, but it's only fun when it's actually plausible.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
SeriousSam said:
Yes, you have. Armrstrong has won more than Froome ever will, was a better climber, time trialler, mentally stronger and a better tactician. He dominates him in every single metric. The only reason to exclude him would be because he hasn't officially won anything, but that is just not a interesting criterion.

No I haven't. It's my list, it's only 15 and he isn't on it. Feel free to make your own.
Thanks, but I'm actually interested in your list. What criteria did you use to construct it?

Ramon Koran said:
pitchnduel said:
Froome is arguably the best stage race rider of all time

Obviously, his ONE grand tour GC qualifies him for such praise over lazy bums like Merckx and Hinault
Ill admit Froome is behind those two at the moment, but i think he is on par with Contador, Armstrong and indurain. If he wins this tour beating Contador, nibali and Quintana it would be the most impressive gt win perhaps of all time, Froome will then have a place amongst the greats. Lets not forget Froome says he will ride till 40, he can pick another 10-11 gt in that time.
Ok. Now is confirmed, you are trolling.
Most impressive of all time? Have you watched all of them? the ones from Merkx, Hinault and Anquetil?

The wolves together again ?
CJlPUuvXAAA_91W.jpg

SeriousSam said:
King Boonen said:
SeriousSam said:
Yes, you have. Armrstrong has won more than Froome ever will, was a better climber, time trialler, mentally stronger and a better tactician. He dominates him in every single metric. The only reason to exclude him would be because he hasn't officially won anything, but that is just not a interesting criterion.

No I haven't. It's my list, it's only 15 and he isn't on it. Feel free to make your own.
Thanks, but I'm actually interested in your list. What criteria did you use to construct it?

15 riders who were/are better GT riders than Froome.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
VayaVayaVaya said:
bassano said:
Oh dear, What a hell I must read about froome being best GC rider, possibility of winning 20 GT etc etc, why, where and how?
evans was far better then froome is just look results and do not let your feelings take your brain
froome is 30 years and won just poor ONE GT, over young quintana and bad shaped Alberto, he is not even close to legend or best GT rider of decade and so other things

Froome is clearly not a top 10 GC rider of all time. If they all retired right now, it would obviously go:
Contador
(huge gap)
Nibali
(Smaller gap)
Froome

That is just the facts on how their palmeres stack up. I think if you want to talk about how riders would perform against one another if they each lined up at their absolute peak, it's a different story. IMO, peak Alien thrashes Evans and stacks up very well with the legends at their peak.

If you're talking purely about GC riders, then I'd go with Froome above Nibali, especially when you consider that Froome looks extremely likely to increase his GC tally to 2. The podium in each GT that Nibali has won has been extremely weak, and all of Nibali's entertaining rides in the classics count for nothing when talking just about GC.

No, no, no, it's still 3-1 for Nibali, weak field or not. When, or maybe I say IF, Froome increase his tally to 2, which is pretty early to state, you could make a case in Froome's favor, because it will be 2 Tours vs "weak field" Giro, Tour and Vuelta

Re: 2015 Tour de France Stage 8: Rennes-Mur de Bretagne, 181

I would say froome if this was a normal 3rd category climb but I just don't think froome will distance his rivals before the climb flattens out so someone like Rodriguez or Valverde will win that.

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Ramon Koran said:
Evans palmarès: 1tdf (fluke), 2 2nd places plus 1 fluked wc.
Froome:1 tdf, soon to be 2, 2 2nd place vuelta, 1 2nd place tour ( he should have won).
Coming back to the mur de Bretagne, Froome is a more explosive rider (mur de huy) than Evans he will be far stronger.

Normally I wouldn't respond to posts like this, but this is absolutely ridiculous. Cadel did not fluke his TdF or his WC he was the strongest rider in both races. He also has 2 other Tour podiums, and 1 each in the Giro and Vuelta.

Froome more explosive? Who beat Froome on Huy on stage 3? Purito, and who beat Purito to win Flèche Wallone in 2010? Cadel Evans

You can't claim Froome to have this Tour won, there's only been 7 stages.

Finally Froome has a long way to go to join the class of Cadel Evans.
/rant over

Ramon Koran said:
BigMac said:
BYOP88 said:
TheGreenMonkey said:
Contador was coming quickly over the top of Evans last time he just didn't get there in time, perhaps he will go one better this time having learnt from the error.

Froome is in a whole different league to Evans.

Indeed, an insult to Evans in this instance.
Your joking, evans was à mediocre rider who happened to get lucky one year. Froome is arguably the best stage race rider of all time, and definitly the best or the last 5 years. Evans isnt close.

In the last 5 years before this Tour, Froome has won only 1 GT, just like a lot of others, Nibali won 3, Contador 6.

Oops

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Jim2784 said:
After years of reading the posts (not participating) on this site, I guess I can keep quiet no longer!!! Some of the views posted on this site are hysterical at times, at times I wonder do some members even follow the sport. Who doesn't love debate, but it's only fun when it's actually plausible.

i'm the same, long time lurker.

I love the site, well forum, but what i hate is that every thread turns into a petty squabble - it gets so boring reading the same arguments. I wish it could stay on topic a bit more.

But even so, still love the site

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site

HarryTheHedgehog said:
Jim2784 said:

I love the site, well forum, but what i hate is that every thread turns into a petty squabble - it gets so boring reading the same arguments. I wish it could stay on topic a bit more.

At least I know I'm not the only one :) It's like the Queen Vic at times, but ya sometimes it can be fun!!!

Red Rick said:
Ramon Koran said:
BigMac said:
BYOP88 said:
TheGreenMonkey said:
Contador was coming quickly over the top of Evans last time he just didn't get there in time, perhaps he will go one better this time having learnt from the error.

Froome is in a whole different league to Evans.

Indeed, an insult to Evans in this instance.
Your joking, evans was à mediocre rider who happened to get lucky one year. Froome is arguably the best stage race rider of all time, and definitly the best or the last 5 years. Evans isnt close.

In the last 5 years before this Tour, Froome has won only 1 GT, just like a lot of others, Nibali won 3, Contador 6.

Oops

You seriously count the 2010 Tour? And the 2011 Giro?

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Arredondo said:
I'm wondering so many people put Froome on 1 for this stage.

Since when he's better on these kind of finishes then Purito, Dan Martin and Sagan?

I would say, but it's reserved for another place in this forum ;)

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Orbit501 said:
Looks like Lampre have had a kick up the backside for being so anonymous, see Durasek in the break today.

Tomorrow then Rui Costa reminds everyone that he is actually riding in this race after all. Takes the stage in a good old 1-2 move with Raphael Valls leading him out up the first steep bit.

Durasek will probably try for the break again.

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site

HarryTheHedgehog said:
Jim2784 said:

Same for me. Have followed the forums for years, and with each passing season have debated about getting an account. This year, the promise of a great TdF was too much to resist. Who doesn't love adding their two cents?

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Martin has to be a favorite for a stage like this. As well as Purito, although I believe he will be more heavily marked after winning in Huy. Valverde has to show well here to salvage a first week where most experts thought he'd win a couple times. He's been conspicuously absent in finales... Froome will want to be near the front, as always. He just can't help himself when the road goes up. Contador the X Factor, as his form is still a little bit of a question mark. Will make for some exciting viewing.

I bet Gallopin goes early and gets caught by Martin in the last few meters. 2 second gap to a group containing the favorites.

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

Sasquatch said:
Ramon Koran said:
Breakaway, i think no one will want to chaise before the ttt.

Giant will chase if they think Degenkolb can make it up there.

Ettix will definitely chase for Stybar/Uran/Kwiatkowski

Lotto will chase for Gallopin/Wellens

That's a very helpful post. Really like Gallopin for this stage. It's been his target.

TI-Raleigh said:
HarryTheHedgehog said:
Jim2784 said:

Same for me. Have followed the forums for years, and with each passing season have debated about getting an account. This year, the promise of a great TdF was too much to resist. Who doesn't love adding their two cents?

Certainly everyone loves adding their two cents, welcome aboard y'all. It's just when people start throwing down their two cent pieces every minute that it gets a little unbearable ;)

In answer to the topic raised in this thread of 'who is the worst GT winner', Pereiro is almost certainly not the answer. The TdF it's undoubtedly Roger Walkowiak, which was even more of a fluke than Pereiro. He had never won anything of note (and didn't really after), but got gifted 18 minutes and benefitted from top riders refusing to work together because they didn't want each other to win. Similar to Pereiro, he had the form of his life and kept the jersey unexpectedly. While Pereiro had had a top 10 in GTs before and after, Walkowiak had a 2nd in the Dauphine and that was it. So whereas Pereiro winning the Tour was like Arroyo almost winning the Giro (and let's face it, Pereiro actually 'almost' won the Tour as well), Walkowiak was like, say, Inigo Landaluze winning the Tour. Or Vladimir Karpets. Or Kim Kirchen.

But if you want to look at 'worst GT winner' overall, just look at the history of the Vuelta. Aitor Gonzales, Angel Casero, Eric Cartioux, or perhaps the most egregious of all, the sprinter Freddy Maertens (although he, like Sean Kelly, was a great rider, it's just ludicrous that they won GTs). There are a few examples if you look through the winners' list of the Giro too, and especially in the Giro or Vuelta before 1950 or so, but I'd say the 'worst' (in terms of lack of any accomplishment for the rest of their careers, and the field they were competing against) would have to be someone from the above list.

HarryTheHedgehog said:
Jim2784 said:

I am a long time stalker as well.. I actually had a old profile but it died out from inactivity.. I did have a few post on it.. I think its very entertaining to read the forum and sometimes there is good knowledge in it.. I also see some of the same people I saw 5 years ago posting the same things :D but thats mostly in the clinic... now its just another name than before.... it changes now and then...

But its nice to see I am not a lone stalker...

For tomorrow I think Gallopin or Simon Yates will take the win.

Latest posts