• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah, August 1 to 7

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

burning said:
I think you missed my point as well, most of the overhyped US riders got outclassed regularly in 2.1 level in Europe and your example is a guy who seems to do well mostly in .2 level and doesn't do well in upper levels, my examples are from .1 and .HC level in US. It is clear that the level of local US riders is around amateur or .2 races in Europe.

By the way, you can obviously enjoy these races and this sort of races should definitely exist but it becomes funny when someone (Like bigmac does here all the time) overhypes these riders and they just do nothin

This period of cycling, in the big race, the tour, and giro, and some classics, and smaller European tours have become snoozefest, predictable races, as the European racing has become more pure, it has become boring, with the scientific training, power meters, garmins, race radios. For some reason, although the riders, in this tour of utah, may not be up to snuff, with the cavendishes, froomes, arus, etc. they are in genuine competition, celebrating their sports. Yeah, maybe they don't get a trip to rio, or letour, but I see aggressive racing.

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
BalearicBeats said:
I always wonder about these American races... I always see a lot of Americans performing real well, presumably because it's their peak race of the year, but a lot of these guys that do well here get no results at all in Europe. Is the level so much lower? Or are they more used to a different kind of racing (more crits than in Europe, ...)?

Yeah American racing is always quaint crit time. Always some anonymous American practically-not-a-sprinter wins against one of the weakest sprinting fields of the year. Even some dude like Leigh Howard would probably get 4 stage wins here.

Unlikely someone like Howard would get 4 stage wins. You're forgetting that these guys are acutally fast and in American races get to the finish line without spending much energy during the stage. In Europe they'd already be crushed just because overall riding and keeping the position in the last is so much harder.

rekhyt said:
TMP402 said:
BalearicBeats said:
I always wonder about these American races... I always see a lot of Americans performing real well, presumably because it's their peak race of the year, but a lot of these guys that do well here get no results at all in Europe. Is the level so much lower? Or are they more used to a different kind of racing (more crits than in Europe, ...)?

Yeah American racing is always quaint crit time. Always some anonymous American practically-not-a-sprinter wins against one of the weakest sprinting fields of the year. Even some dude like Leigh Howard would probably get 4 stage wins here.

Unlikely someone like Howard would get 4 stage wins. You're forgetting that these guys are acutally fast and in American races get to the finish line without spending much energy during the stage. In Europe they'd already be crushed just because overall riding and keeping the position in the last is so much harder.

I'd guess it's mostly the conserving energy part which all the crits are different in. A sprinters race (dare I say classic?) like the Scheldeprijs features long, (for Belgium) straight roads where the peloton rides all day behind someone like Iljo Keisse or Vermote until the final laps. I don't think the chase and attacks are that organized in American crits, where there's more constant attacking. I don't believe that the American sprinters we're seeing here are as fast as their European counterparts though.

This Charming Man said:
burning said:
I think you missed my point as well, most of the overhyped US riders got outclassed regularly in 2.1 level in Europe and your example is a guy who seems to do well mostly in .2 level and doesn't do well in upper levels, my examples are from .1 and .HC level in US

No, I understood those points.

1) Riders who get a WT ride out of winning some .2s in the US and getting a stage of Utah or Colorado and coming eighth on GC or something similar are not simply changing the Continent they are racing on. They are also, invariably, changing their team role. They are now junior domestiques, not the main team leader. So they have little freedom to do anything for themselves. And even when it comes to smaller races, the .1 you are measuring against their results in Utah or wherever is not one of them main season's goals and not something they are in peak condition for.

2) This is exactly the same situation as a Bagdonas faced, minus the Continent swap. Riders on US Conti teams don't get as good a calendar as An Post, for the most part, and also get their rides in the WT based on multiple lower category race results and a small number of bigger race results. It could hardly be otherwise given that there are hardly any .1 or .HC races in the US.

3) It is a mistake to see American and European categorisations as meaning quite the same thing anyway. There is only one US PCT team. US Conti teams are allowed into .2, .1 and .HC races and make up the bulk of the field in all of them. All of their UCI stage races feature the same Conti teams and the same relatively small PCT team. The main thing that varies with the category is whether there are a few WT teams involved.

4) Given that situation it is not at all surprising that, whatever hype you may personally perceive, the US races are at about the level you see in a load of relatively minor European .1s. And the riders who get plucked out of that scene have proved themselves to roughly the degree that a European Conti rider with some .2 wins and a stage or two at .1 have proven themselves. Which is to say, they have shown that they might be able to cut it as WT riders. When given the chance, some do and some don't.

5) If there is distinction to be made between US and European Conti teams, it's that on average the US ones are a bit stronger mostly because of the absence of an intermediate PCT layer. That's most obvious in the case of Axeon and their cast of highly rated children. But they are still basically Conti teams.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Did Cannondale really burn Bettiol to control the group on the final few km?
Edit: Anderis beat me to it, he's faster than Talansky and probably also faster than Howes, some questionable team tactics.

Enjoyed watching Dunbar and Geoghan Hart today. And they aren't even the team leaders. Axeon should be invited to more European races. Probably the best kids team around. I mean you can argue that Topsport are sort of a development team, but the Axeon kids really are children. Tao Hart is an old man there at 21.

Re:

Anderis said:
Hard to blame Howes for stealing time bonus from Talansky in such a close sprint, but one maybe they could have a shot at winning the stage if one was leading the other out considering how close it was without cooperation.

Sure you can. Cannondale was half pregnant. Either go for the stage win or give your GC a few extra seconds. The worst thing to see is two guys from the same team sprinting next to one another. A few seconds might not mean much be there's a psychological aspect as well. Poor game planning by the directors.

Cannondale keeps laying eggs. They have one of the strongest teams in the race (allegedly) and are sitting second overall. If they don't win the overall tomorrow, it's egg on their face for sure.