• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 UCI Road World Championships Men's Road Race : 284.5km

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Only had a few years to plan this, but nope, lets make some last minute changes because it’s raining in England in late September. Who could have known that would happen?!
I don't understand what you want them to do, there's a flooding in a lot country roads and there aren't many of them in the dales, the race was pretty much utilising 80% of them. This is all they likely could've done. And it's a last minute decision because they would've wanted to squeeze whatever possible out of the course, considering it does use so much of the possible parcours around it (and because logically if Buttertubs and Grinton Moor are unviable then so are other climbs in the area, not that there are an excessive amount in the vicinity of the race).

Rain like this happens maybe once a year, and pretty much never in September. It's a January thing. Don't get the need to make such reactionary comments without thinking about the circumstances.

UCI shouldn't have picked a rainy country to host an event at the end of September. Now everyone is surprised that it is *** pouring outside.
Like @priceysky said, this never happens in September. It very rarely rains this much for a week, that it rains so much that flooding is a genuine issue outside of November-March. It's an extreme eventuality and the UCI have dealt with it fine. The race is still tough, another circuit wouldn't have gone amiss but otherwise it's OK

I don't understand what you want them to do, there's a flooding in a lot country roads and there aren't many of them in the dales, the race was pretty much utilising 80% of them.
Then don't use them in the first place? It doesn't take a genius to come up with that idea. Usually, when it rains hard, people know which roads are useful and which aren't.

Rain like this happens maybe once a year, and pretty much never in September. It's a January thing. Don't get the need to make such reactionary comments without thinking about the circumstances.
Exactly my point, thank you If it is a thing that re-occurs, they should have known this could have happened. And if they know this could have happened, they should not have used said roads. Don't get the need to make such comments that only look at the outcome, rather than the things that could have prevented this mess and the needs to change the course.

Don't think this break has any chance, despite the big names in it, but I do think the peloton is trying to keep this break closer than it usually does at the WC, which will make the race even harder. In conclusion, I'm not jealous of the guys riding this race right now.

TRENDING THREADS