• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 21: Verona – Verona 17.4 km ITT (Sunday, May 29th)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Carapaz and his entourage failed to understand that Hindley is better than him, they rode the entire Giro with an air of superiority. The consequence was that on the fatal stage he was convinced he can better Hindley mano a mano. This is the result.
I'm not sure Hindley knew he was better than Carapaz much before the 3km banner yesterday.

Carapaz and his entourage failed to understand that Hindley is better than him, they rode the entire Giro with an air of superiority. The consequence was that on the fatal stage he was convinced he can better Hindley mano a mano. This is the result.
Bora were the better team, four riders in the top 20. Porte dropping out late didn't matter much really for Carapaz as Carapaz simply didn't have the legs yesterday.

I'm honestly not completely sure where Carapaz could've dropped Hindley, even if they made a huge mistake trying to drop Hindley on Fedaia yesterday

Reactions: Sandisfan
Ineos might have been infected with Jumbovism - the fixation with trying to win races by as little as possible. It was like the 2020 Tour, they got the jersey, proceeded to do absolutely nothing, and then lost it on the penultimate day. Ironically enough, when they actually tried to do something.

Jai, Jai, Jai.
Very impressive. Not even in my wildest dreams I would have put him as a contender, much less a favorite. In part fueled by the idea that the Giro had a weak field in 2020.
I'll tell you one thing, when people say weak field the only rider that I have to say is missing is Pogacar. Nobody else. That is my opinion. More contenders would have been fun to watch but it would have been more of the same.

Maybe same 1-2 result but having Yates, Bardet, Lopez, Almeida and Dumoulin in good shape for the full 3 weeks would have changed the dynamics of the race. Ofc I couldn't say exactly what might have been...but surely Bardet, Yates and Lopez would have made a difference on the Dolomites stages if they'd been in the mix. And we don't know when Almeida contracted covid.

I won't say this was a weak field -- the lineup before the start looked really strong, but illness/bad form decimated the list of potential Top 5 GC men.

Chapeau to Hindley -- at no point did he not look as strong or stronger than Carapaz.

Now the question is whether Bora/Hindley can podium/win a Tour. He seems to have all the skills minus perhaps a long TT (but that can be somewhat fixed so it's not a liability)

It was a weak race, not particularly a weak field.

The field is fully in line with 2020, 2015,2012,2004 etc.
The field is a lot better than 2004!!!

The problem is that the field at the start of the race and the field at the end of the race are two different things. The early DNF of Miguel Ángel López, the loss of Yates and Bardet, the Covid positive of Almeida... every GT has abandons and underperformances. This GT had a perfectly fine startlist for a Giro or Vuelta, as we know there will always be some major contenders that skip those races to focus on the Tour because that's the most important race - but we're not in the height of the Lance Armstrong super-peaking era when all the Tour contenders would do about 10-15 serious race days before July. Looking at the top 10 at the end won't always give a true impression, just look at the 2011 Vuelta where there were all those debates over the field and whether it made Froome's surprise emergence more or less shocking. But that race had Joaquím Rodríguez, Vincenzo Nibali, Denis Menchov and Igor Antón (at the point in his career where he was a legit pre-race favourite), but all underperformed. It had Michele Scarponi and Andreas Klöden both abandon. It had a fine field, but at the end it just looked underwhelming that's all.

Hindley beat everybody that was there, and that included some pretty decent names even if the final GC might not reflect that too well. But he was ahead of those abandons when they abandoned, was he not? (I can't actually remember in Supermán's case as it was so early in the race but there had been an ITT by that point so I assume so)

Maybe same 1-2 result but having Yates, Bardet, Lopez, Almeida and Dumoulin in good shape for the full 3 weeks would have changed the dynamics of the race. Ofc I couldn't say exactly what might have been...but surely Bardet, Yates and Lopez would have made a difference on the Dolomites stages if they'd been in the mix. And we don't know when Almeida contracted covid.

I won't say this was a weak field -- the lineup before the start looked really strong, but illness/bad form decimated the list of potential Top 5 GC men.

Chapeau to Hindley -- at no point did he not look as strong or stronger than Carapaz.

Now the question is whether Bora/Hindley can podium/win a Tour. He seems to have all the skills minus perhaps a long TT (but that can be somewhat fixed so it's not a liability)
That's often how it goes now. Half of the GC contenders are usually gone before the third week. Hindley may not have looked stronger but he certainly looked as strong. The gap was only three seconds until yesterday. Felt sorry for Bardet, he was looking at possibly his best grand tour since 2017. Yates is simply unpredictable like a more optimistic version of Pinot and like Pinot he finds ways to get in trouble plus he had the knee injury. Almeida also unlucky. Hats off to Bora they rode a great race and managed to mostly avoid problems.

At least those 3 had each other. Imagine something had happened to Carapaz and Landa. Hindley would be crucified here until the end of career even if he had crushed the rest on Fedaia. OTOH if Lo Squalo had won in that fashion...
I don't say that to *** on Hindley. But the field was decent and quite deep but it really fell off. Carapaz is rated highly so that will help Hindleys case

Reactions: Sandisfan