• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia: Who is going to win? Pre-race poll.

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2022 Giro d'Italia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are they that much better than Bilbao and Poels though? Ineos is a much deeper team on paper, but I don’t see 2022 Richie and Sivakov being much stronger than the those two. Granted, through in Castro and the rest and you have the most impressive team, but I don’t see them as that superior to Bahrain.

I would love to see 2017-18 Dumoulin show up, but I am skeptical at this point which is a shame if he never is able to reach that level of contender again.
I still won’t write him off though

It’s now or never for #Landani to shine. He looked on par with Bernal on the early climbs last year, but he always looks great before catastrophes strike.

Almeida impressed me last year after all the headaches caused by having to babysit the Chosen One over the little pebbles. I think he’s biggest threat to whoever emerges out of the other favorites.

I voted for Landa. It’s his last best chance and he’s looked consistently strong all year. I doubt he’ll actually win though.

It will come down to a fight for pink between Bala and The Bag.
I'd say yes until Bahrain prove otherwise. Ineos are all in behind Carapaz whereas Bahrain I'm sure will try to keep their options open as long as possible because you never know with Landa. That and Castroviejo shouldn't be underrated, he was the strongest pure domestique in the race last year.

I'd also like to see Dumoulin make a comeback, but the way things have been going in recent times I don't know how likely he is to even make it to the finish.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I'd say yes until Bahrain prove otherwise. Ineos are all in behind Carapaz whereas Bahrain I'm sure will try to keep their options open as long as possible because you never know with Landa. That and Castroviejo shouldn't be underrated, he was the strongest pure domestique in the race last year.

I'd also like to see Dumoulin make a comeback, but the way things have been going in recent times I don't know how likely he is to even make it to the finish.
Dumoulin I think should be relatively fine and worst case scenario he made it to like 7th in the 2020 Tour.

Reactions: perico
Worst case scenario is far worse than that. I think there's ~25 % chance he won't break the top-10.
I think if he's healthy and fit he should be fine. He has built up a sheet of bad prep race results before good GTs in any case. His form was improving towards Amstel, and that's exactly the sort of race I wouldn't think he'd be in a half decent group if he still had back issues.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think if he's healthy and fit he should be fine. He has built up a sheet of bad prep race results before good GTs in any case. His form was improving towards Amstel, and that's exactly the sort of race I wouldn't think he'd be in a half decent group if he still had back issues.
He hasn’t done a good climbing stage in years. Of course there is a decent chance that he won’t break into the top-10. Maybe even a similar chance to Yates having no off days.

Would love to see the old Dumoulin. Both as a cyclist as his old non whining personality. But with the exception of his TT I think we will just never see the old Dumoulin again. So just to not get disappointed I discount him until he proves me wrong.

The climbing level that he showed at the 2020 TDF is not far off what would be required here. But given that he took somewhat of a sabbatical, then he is a bit of an unknown quantity. I don't think anyone would be greatly shocked if he podiumed, or finished outside the top 10.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
The climbing level that he showed at the 2020 TDF is not far off what would be required here. But given that he took somewhat of a sabbatical, then he is a bit of an unknown quantity. I don't think anyone would be greatly shocked if he podiumed, or finished outside the top 10.
The field of the Giro is just Tom Dumoulin and 180 odd guys who don't know they're gonna get Oropa'd in starting next week.

TRENDING THREADS