• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2023 Women's WT CQ Game

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I appear to have no unique picks on the longlist but 3 unique picks in the table - Mohr I can see appears to be a unique pick but not sure of the other two. Fidanza and Schmid I think from first glance?

Samu - you picked two that were in one of my original plans as your unique picks - Koppenburg and Stiasny. Also glad to see somebody picked Nikola Nosková, she reminds me however a bit of a Fran Cauz or a Kseniya Tuhai that made me shy away from picking her.

BR2 - like you (and as I said earlier in the discussions), Dygert and Deignan were two picks that were super obvious low risk picks but I just couldn't bring myself to have any reason to root for either of them.

Big buys

16 riders at 4000 points is 250 pts each: who did we each decide was worth twice that or more?

Wiebes: Alvarakas
with Kopecky: Josedin

Vollering with Kopecky: Rufs
with Ludwig: Libertine Seguros
with Cavalli and Labous: DJSprtsch

Kopecky with Cavalli: DJW
with Labous and Consonni: Jon Ezeitza

Persico: Archie Boy
with Cavalli: Comodoro
with Cavalli and Labous: Del 1962
with Vos: Bminchow, Ricco

Ludwig with Cavalli and Jorgensen: Jumbo Visma Fan
with Jorgensen: Redhead Dane

Lippert with Jorgensen: Slow Climber

Cavalli: Hfgon1
with Brown and Vos: Muddy Waters
with Consonni: PostmanHat
with Niewiadoma and Vos: Rote Laterne
with Vos: Madrazo

Labous: Evans is the Best

Brown with Ewers: Los Brolin

Consonni: BR2
with Jorgensen and Vos: Amis Velo
with Vos: Salvarani

Niewiadoma with Jorgensen: Shalgo

Ewers: Triley36

Skalniak-Sojka with Jorgensen: Armchair Cyclist

Vos with Faulkner: LeadBelly, Lukas CPH

Faulkner: Samu Cuenca

Reactions: postmanhat
I appear to have no unique picks on the longlist but 3 unique picks in the table - Mohr I can see appears to be a unique pick but not sure of the other two. Fidanza and Schmid I think from first glance?

You're right: I hadn't dragged the coding to asterisk UPs far enough down the page to mark them for the last few teams submitted.

So in addition to those marked in the main listing, there are the following unique picks:

Libertine Seguros:
FIDANZA Arianna
MOHR Mari Hole
SCHMID Kaia

Rufs:
BRENNAUER Lisa
NOSKOVA Nikola

TRiley36:
GERRITSE Femke
VAN HAAFTEN Kirstie

Sorry about that

Please deduct 10 points from yourself for everyone time you have referred to Norsgaard as "Jørgensen"! Not only is Jørgensen not even her name any longer, but the correct way to refer to her is, and has always been, Norsgaard! I'll forgive the wrong spelling, as I assume you simply don't have access to the letter 'ø'. The usage of the wrong name when copying from CQ is also accepted, as that's them not getting it right. The correct, CQ-style, way would of course be:

NORSGAARD BJERG (JØRGENSEN) Emma Cecilie.

Please deduct 10 points from yourself for everyone time you have referred to Norsgaard as "Jørgensen"! Not only is Jørgensen not even her name any longer, but the correct way to refer to her is, and has always been, Norsgaard! I'll forgive the wrong spelling, as I assume you simply don't have access to the letter 'ø'. The usage of the wrong name when copying from CQ is also accepted, as that's them not getting it right. The correct, CQ-style, way would of course be:

NORSGAARD BJERG (JØRGENSEN) Emma Cecilie.
Apologies for any linguistic offence, but if I use anything other than the name format that CQ use, Excel will not pick up results from their lists.

If you want CQ to change it, info@cqranking.com are usually polite and responsive. But it'll mean I have to change all the occurrences in my spreadsheet.

And should I deduct 10 from your score for the way you had it in your submission? ;)

In these races last year
When you look at the spreadsheet (I'll put up the link today, when all the tweaks are done) you will see a 'So Last Year' team. If you have done the Spring Classics game in the past you may remember it: it is a combination that I think (although I'm not mathematically certain) is as good as can be made within the rules of the game that scored highest on this selection of races last year. It is a team of two halves,: stars who scarcely bothered with non-WWT/WC races; and makeweights who scored 100% of points in WWT races, because they didn't finish high enough in other races to score but picked up "at least she finished". As such it probably won't be very competitive or interesting, except that it does give a pretext for tracking what Annamiek van Vleuten does, and also Ashleigh Moolman Pasio, universally unselected.

Probably inconsequential, but I have the data, so this is the points won by our riders in the WWT + WC last year.

1​
RoteLaterne
3284​
2​
LukasCPH
3051​
3​
Rufs
3049​
4​
DJW
2957​
5​
Madrazo
2935​
6​
JumboVismaFan
2860​
7​
Shalgo
2847​
8​
Del1962
2787​
9​
LibertineSeguros
2770​
10​
JonEzeitza
2760​
11​
DJSprtsch
2695​
12​
Bminchow
2638​
13​
SamuCuenca
2566​
14​
RedheadDane
2529​
15​
SlowClimber
2527​
16​
PostmanHat
2490​
17​
MuddyWaters
2487​
18​
ArchieBoy
2469​
19​
Comodoro
2446​
20​
Leadbelly
2425​
21​
AmisVelo
2367​
22​
EvansIsTheBest
2351​
23​
Josedin
2336​
24​
Ricco
2280​
25​
Salvarani
2265​
26​
Hfgon1
2039​
27​
Alvarakas
2026​
28​
TRiley36
1973​
29​
ArmchairCyclist
1887​
30​
BR2
1830​
31​
LosBrolin
1722​
CollectiveWisdom
2638​
SoLastYear
3730​

Apologies for any linguistic offence, but if I use anything other than the name format that CQ use, Excel will not pick up results from their lists.

I meant specifically for your usage of the wrong name in "Big Buys" post (or any other upcoming post). Like this:

Ludwig with Cavalli and Jorgensen: Jumbo Visma Fan
with Jorgensen: Redhead Dane

I don't think Excel is gonna care about how you write it in a forum post.

And should I deduct 10 from your score for the way you had it in your submission? ;)

I specifically said that copying from the (wrong) CQ version is acceptable:

The usage of the wrong name when copying from CQ is also accepted, as that's them not getting it right.

Team similarity

The most similar teams are those of PostmanHat and Hfgon1, with 11 shared riders.
There are three pairings that share 10 riders, and Madrazo is half of all three: he has an overlap of 10 with Bminchow, Lukas CPH and Rote Laterne. And also part of 5 of the 13 9-rider matchups.

No surprise that it is also Madrazo who has most of the the Collective Wisdom team (though there are 18 potential matches there) with 13; Alvarakas, Bminchow and Ricco have 11 of them, and 4 others are in double figures.

You can find your closest team, and maybe other detail I haven't covered in the spreadsheet

Updates, hopefully, soon after each event. Enjoy.

So here we go

Race 1
Riders selected for the game. These are stage and GC points combined (unlike in men's WT events, there are no CQ points for Climber and Point classifications in WWT)

Race Pos'nPtsTeams
1​
BROWN Grace
166​
2​
2​
SPRATT Amanda
124​
4​
4​
ROSEMAN-GANNON Ruby
76​
3​
6​
DOEBEL-HICKOK Kristabel
66​
1​
13​
PIKULIK Daria
32​
1​
15​
NOSKOVA Nikola
24​
1​
18​
COPPONI Clara
19​
5​
24​
WOLLASTON Ally
14​
2​
25​
SCHMID Kaia
14​
1​
33​
NELSON Josie
5​
2​

and 5 picked riders each get 4 points for finishing.

1​
SamuCuenca
194​
Spratt/Doebel-Hickok
2​
LosBrolin
188​
Brown/Woolaston
3​
MuddyWaters
170​
Brown
4​
Rufs
153​
Spratt/Noskova
5​
Madrazo
128​
Spratt
6​
LukasCPH
124​
Spratt
7​
BR2
108​
Roseman-Gannon/Pikulik
8​
Comodoro
81​
Roseman-Gannon/Nelson
9​
ArchieBoy
76​
Roseman-Gannon
10​
LibertineSeguros
41​
Copponi/Schmid
11​
EvansIsTheBest
33​
12​
Alvarakas
23​
13​
AmisVelo
19​
13​
DJW
19​
15​
DJSprtsch
12​
16​
ArmchairCyclist
4​
16​
Bminchow
4​
16​
Josedin
4​
16​
Ricco
4​
16​
Salvarani
4​
16​
Shalgo
4​
22​
Del1962
0​
22​
Hfgon1
0​
22​
JonEzeitza
0​
22​
JumboVismaFan
0​
22​
Leadbelly
0​
22​
PostmanHat
0​
22​
RedheadDane
0​
22​
RoteLaterne
0​
22​
SlowClimber
0​
22​
TRiley36
0​
CollectiveWisdom
4​
SoLastYear
0​

And there is a Green Jersey competition, for which the top ten teams in each race score points which are distributed in the pattern evident below. I'll explain/remind you what happens in the case of a draw when one happens.

1​
SamuCuenca
80​
2​
LosBrolin
50​
3​
MuddyWaters
35​
4​
Rufs
25​
5​
Madrazo
15​
6​
LukasCPH
10​
7​
BR2
5​
8​
Comodoro
3​
9​
ArchieBoy
2​
10​
LibertineSeguros
1​

The real test of the spreadsheet is how it handles the second race of a series, but so far so good. The link is in the post above, and I don't necessarily post it every time. Note that I simply update it after each event, rather than saving each update as a separate file as happens in the main CQ game, so if having a record bothers you, you may want to make regular saves. The URL won't change, so I don't necessarily post it in every update, but if I haven't done so for a while and it is difficult to find, prompt me.

CEGORR next on Saturday week.

Last edited:
So here we go

Race 1
Riders selected for the game. These are stage and GC points combined (unlike in men's WT events, there are no CQ points for Climber and Point classifications in WWT)

Race Pos'nPtsTeams
1​
BROWN Grace
166​
2​
2​
SPRATT Amanda
124​
4​
4​
ROSEMAN-GANNON Ruby
76​
3​
6​
DOEBEL-HICKOK Kristabel
66​
1​
13​
PIKULIK Daria
32​
1​
15​
NOSKOVA Nikola
24​
1​
18​
COPPONI Clara
19​
5​
24​
WOLLASTON Ally
14​
2​
25​
SCHMID Kaia
14​
1​
33​
NELSON Josie
5​
2​

and 5 picked riders each get 4 points for finishing.

1​
SamuCuenca
194​
Spratt/Doebel-Hickok
2​
LosBrolin
188​
Brown/Woolaston
3​
MuddyWaters
170​
Brown
4​
Rufs
153​
Spratt/Noskova
5​
Madrazo
128​
Spratt
6​
LukasCPH
124​
Spratt
7​
BR2
108​
Roseman-Gannon/Pikulik
8​
Comodoro
81​
Roseman-Gannon/Nelson
9​
ArchieBoy
76​
Roseman-Gannon
10​
LibertineSeguros
41​
Copponi/Schmid
11​
EvansIsTheBest
33​
12​
Alvarakas
23​
13​
AmisVelo
19​
13​
DJW
19​
15​
DJSprtsch
12​
16​
ArmchairCyclist
4​
16​
Bminchow
4​
16​
Josedin
4​
16​
Ricco
4​
16​
Salvarani
4​
16​
Shalgo
4​
22​
Del1962
0​
22​
Hfgon1
0​
22​
JonEzeitza
0​
22​
JumboVismaFan
0​
22​
Leadbelly
0​
22​
PostmanHat
0​
22​
RedheadDane
0​
22​
RoteLaterne
0​
22​
SlowClimber
0​
22​
TRiley36
0​
CollectiveWisdom
4​
SoLastYear
0​

And there is a Green Jersey competition, for which the top ten teams in each race score points which are distributed in the pattern evident below. I'll explain/remind you what happens in the case of a draw when one happens.

1​
SamuCuenca
80​
2​
LosBrolin
50​
3​
MuddyWaters
35​
4​
Rufs
25​
5​
Madrazo
15​
6​
LukasCPH
10​
7​
BR2
5​
8​
Comodoro
3​
9​
ArchieBoy
2​
10​
LibertineSeguros
1​

The real test of the spreadsheet is how it handles the second race of a series, but so far so good. The link is in the post above, and I don't necessarily post it every time. Note that I simply update it after each event, rather than saving each update as a separate file as happens in the main CQ game, so if having a record bothers you, you may want to make regular saves. The URL won't change, so I don't necessarily post it in every update, but if I haven't done so for a while and it is difficult to find, prompt me.

CEGORR next on Saturday week.
Too bad the ladies have to wait around 11 days now in Australia for the next race. I guess they can get some good training in the heat.

So I wouldn't do this for everyone, but I would hope that it is widely agreed that if anyone deserves tolerant treatment for being late in the week of CQ game submissions it is Skidmark, so I have accepted a team. If you wish to mentally add an asterisk, that's up to you.

His team is:
JØRGENSEN Emma Cecilie Norsgaard
VOS Marianne
REUSSER Marlen
VAN ANROOIJ Shirin
GEORGI Pfeiffer
FISHER-BLACK Niamh
VAN DEN BROEK-BLAAK Chantal
HENDERSON Anna
RIVERA-LABECKI Coryn
VAS Blanka
JASTRAB Megan
REALINI Gaia
BÄCKSTEDT Zoe
VAN EMPEL Fem
DYGERT Chloe
DEIGNAN (ARMITSTEAD) Elizabeth

which has no unique picks and steals nobody's: it is 2nd in the popularity table, sharing 11 riders with Madrazo and 10 each with Rote Laterne, Shalgo and Slow Climber.

I asked him to make sure that he was not taking advantage of the TDU (scored 0 in that) nor of discussion/reveals on the thread. He tells me he has scarcely been online since finishing sorting the CQ game, and the inclusion of Van den Broeck-Blaak shows that he has not been reading the CN discussion of pregnancies among our selections.

There is a slight change to the Collective Wisdom team, which means the Collective Wisdom row/column on the Team similarities tab is no longer accurate (if you have Niedermayer in your team, take one off what it says now).
It now consists of
BÄCKSTEDT Zoe
DYGERT Chloe
VAN ANROOIJ Shirin
VAS Blanka
KOOL Charlotte
FISHER-BLACK Niamh
KLEIN Lisa
VAN EMPEL Fem
CAVALLI Marta
VOS Marianne
DE WILDE Julie
GIGANTE Sarah
JASTRAB Megan
RIVERA-LABECKI Coryn
plus the average of GEORGI Pfeiffer and REUSSER Marlen.

His team is:
JØRGENSEN Emma Cecilie Norsgaard
VOS Marianne
REUSSER Marlen
VAN ANROOIJ Shirin
GEORGI Pfeiffer
FISHER-BLACK Niamh
VAN DEN BROEK-BLAAK Chantal
HENDERSON Anna
RIVERA-LABECKI Coryn
VAS Blanka
JASTRAB Megan
REALINI Gaia
BÄCKSTEDT Zoe
VAN EMPEL Fem
DYGERT Chloe

I asked him to make sure that he was not taking advantage of the TDU (scored 0 in that) nor of discussion/reveals on the thread. He tells me he has scarcely been online since finishing sorting the CQ game, and the inclusion of Van den Broeck-Blaak shows that he has not been reading the CN discussion of pregnancies among our selections.

Lol. Well yep, definitely not filling myself with illicit information, whoops. Looks like I didn't have anyone in the TDU anyway. I'm happy to be asterisked for official purposes, I'm just excited for an opportunity/incentive to follow the women's RR scene more closely and I like the idea of this game. I unfortunately didn't really clock the initial post until AC mentioned it to me in a message just before I went out of internet range for most of the last 5 days, but I'm really happy this game is happening.

I think you might be able to tell from my team that:

• my knowledge of women's RR is very rudimentary
  • I do follow women's cyclocross more closely, which accounts for about 5 of my picks
  • because my knowledge is largely from seeing headlines and occasionally reading articles on english language websites, I have a lot of well known names and anglo riders (although my nose for popular picks is just as prominent in the men's game where I have much more knowledge). Hopefully at least the default anglo bias changes in future years, but any hipster picks I made this year would be even more of a dart throw than my picks already.

It was quite an odd experience trying to put together a team in an hour, the opposite of the normal weeks-long refining process that I apply to the original game. The element of only WT points brings a very interesting dynamic; I looked at a few riders that seemed like they were emerging, only to see that all their results were in smaller races or NCs for smaller countries, etc. So I kinda played it safe and took riders that showed they could get results at WT level. That's not too dissimilar to emerging talents in the men's game, who might accumulate points at smaller races one year but get equal points for relatively worse placings in higher races the next year. Except it's kind of all or nothing.

Should be fun!

Adegeest looked like she would have been a solid pick. I did see her as less of gamble than other high scoring non-WWT riders from 2022 like Skalniak-Sójka, D. Pikulik, Bauernfeind and Niedermaier, but I left her out in the end. I should have known that Zwifters and Australia usually fit together well.

Race 2:CEGORR

No-one picked the winner, and not many people had many of the scorers (Klein was at least popular as one of the 3 pointers)
Spratt's second place, as it was in the TDU, determines the lead.

2​
SPRATT Amanda
84​
4​
4​
NELSON Josie
63​
2​
7​
ROSEMAN-GANNON Ruby
44​
3​
9​
DOEBEL-HICKOK Kristabel
33​
1​
10​
BOILARD Simone
28​
1​
14​
NOSKOVA Nikola
16​
1​
19​
PIKULIK Daria
10​
1​
21​
BROWN Grace
8​
2​
23​
MOHR Mari Hole
6​
1​
and 7 other finishers for 3 points each.

This raceScorersGreen points
1​
Rufs
163​
Spratt/Nelson/Noskova
80​
2​
SamuCuenca
120​
Spratt/Doebel-Hickok
50​
3​
Comodoro
107​
Nelson/Roseman-Gannon
35​
4​
Madrazo
87​
Spratt
25​
5​
LukasCPH
84​
Spratt
15​
6​
BR2
54​
Roseman-Gannon/Pikulik
10​
7​
ArchieBoy
44​
Roseman-Gannon
5​
8​
DJSprtsch
37​
Boilard
3​
9​
LibertineSeguros
15​
2​
10​
LosBrolin
14​
1​
11​
MuddyWaters
11​
12​
Alvarakas
6​
10 teams with 3 points, and ten with none.

Green points
Only one of the top ten today was not top ten in TDU, so only 11 teams are off the mark.

1​
SamuCuenca
130​
0​
2​
Rufs
105​
2​
3​
LosBrolin
51​
-1​
4​
Madrazo
40​
1​
5​
Comodoro
38​
3​
6​
MuddyWaters
35​
-3​
7​
LukasCPH
25​
-1​
8​
BR2
15​
-1​
9​
ArchieBoy
7​
0​
10​
DJSprtsch
3​
1​
10​
LibertineSeguros
3​
0​

Main points
As a way of backing up Spratt, Nelson + Noskova pips Doebel-Hickok, so Rufs is the new leader.
1​
Rufs
316​
3​
2​
SamuCuenca
314​
-1​
3​
Madrazo
215​
2​
4​
LukasCPH
208​
2​
5​
LosBrolin
202​
-3​
6​
Comodoro
188​
2​
7​
MuddyWaters
181​
-4​
8​
BR2
162​
-1​
9​
ArchieBoy
120​
0​
10​
LibertineSeguros
56​
0​
11​
DJSprtsch
49​
4​
12​
EvansIsTheBest
36​
-1​
13​
Alvarakas
29​
-1​
14​
AmisVelo
22​
-1​
14​
DJW
22​
-1​
16​
ArmchairCyclist
7​
0​
16​
Bminchow
7​
0​
16​
Josedin
7​
0​
16​
Ricco
7​
0​
16​
Salvarani
7​
0​
16​
Shalgo
7​
0​
22​
Leadbelly
3​
0​
23​
Del1962
0​
-1​
23​
Hfgon1
0​
-1​
23​
JonEzeitza
0​
-1​
23​
JumboVismaFan
0​
-1​
23​
PostmanHat
0​
-1​
23​
RedheadDane
0​
-1​
23​
RoteLaterne
0​
-1​
23​
Skidmark
0​
-1​
23​
SlowClimber
0​
-1​
23​
TRiley36
0​
-1​
CollectiveWisdom
7​
SoLastYear
0​

Before we get to Europe, there is the first edition of the Women's UAE Tour, so we should have an update tomorrow fortnight.

Spreadsheet

Spratt looks like she will be a great pick. It felt illogical to pick a old rider like that after 3 bad years, but I read a article where she sounded very optimistic and said she felt like a neopro again in her new team and that the bad years were down to a lot of bad luck with injuries and so on but that she now was 100% again so due to that she was a fairly certain pick for me, and Im glad it seems not that many others read that article with her being such a rare pick :) I look foward to see her doing well also in the Grand Tours later on where she will now also get a more free role compared to her previous big scoring years where she rode for AVV.

Last edited:
Reactions: postmanhat and Rufs
That I'm 4th in the popularity table probably indicates most of us being not too knowledgable, but hoping to learn? Heavy bias towards CX riders, and in my case, following Zoe Backstedt and gaining a little more knowledge about Rayer and Vienke. Though both of those would have qualified just for their names.

Apart from that, it's fairly obvious ones, nationalistic interest, and current or ex-riders from the only two teams I took a shine to last year (DSM and Valcar). Which leads to my biggest omission, Kool. No idea what happened there as I'd noted her as one to watch, but I suppose that's what happens when you try to put a team together in an 90 minutes. Also pretty sure I confused Chiara Consonni with Clara Coppini, which could turn out to be an expensive mistake.

Tried to think about which riders are most likely to gain WT points, but not too successfully so far as had no one for the Austraiian races and my first victory was Mackaij on Sunday, which doesn't count.

UAE

Shackley
Consonni
Georgi
Cavalli

Last edited:
Also pretty sure I confused Chiara Consonni with Clara Coppini, which could turn out to be an expensive mistake.

Consonni should at least be able to score you more points than Copponi, but whether she'll be worth the higher price is a different matter.

Some good news for your team is that Niamh Fisher-Black has been unable to go to UAE due to injury, which will make Shackley the GC hopeful at SD Worx. But the team is mainly there to try and win stages with Wiebes, so I'm not sure what to expect from the Scot.

UAE
Kristen Faulkner
Charlotte Kool
Pfeiffer Georgi
Petra Stiasny
Gaia Realini
Anne Dorthe Ysland
Tamara Dronova

Reactions: postmanhat
What the - why do you all have so many riders? I am not yet very familiar with my team but I think I have Consonni and that's it. My women seem to be even lazier than my men. I don't know what they are doing.
Ah no, wait, I have Harvey as well. Also, Elynor might pass as Zoe and get me some points.

What the - why do you all have so many riders? I am not yet very familiar with my team but I think I have Consonni and that's it. My women seem to be even lazier than my men. I don't know what they are doing.
Ah no, wait, I have Harvey as well. Also, Elynor might pass as Zoe and get me some points.

Your riders are not all lazy. Two of them won EC medals on the track earlier today while a third finished in the top 10.

TRENDING THREADS