• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2024 Giro d'Italia route rumours

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Looks like the intergiro classification officially returns at the 2024 Giro d'Italia! 😍

Eurosport's Karsten Migels & a certain cycling fan from nearby Enschede are delighted! 😄

And the Intergiro ends being a banal sprint with bonifications for GC and point for the points jersey with the same points also for the Intergiro classification.

So instead of the GC Intergiro we get the points based one. Meh.

And the Intergiro ends being a banal sprint with bonifications for GC and point for the points jersey with the same points also for the Intergiro classification.

So instead of the GC Intergiro we get the points based one. Meh.
Wait, wasn't that already the case with the intermediate sprint classification Migels & me used to call "the former intergiro classification"?

Reactions: roundabout
May 1, 2024
Visit site
I think so, but I am now somewhat confused as to what will happen in the other 2 sprints (will there be 3 intermediate sprints per stage now?)
Near as I can tell from looking at the timetables on the official website, there will be 3 intermediate sprints per road stage:

- The first intermediate sprint will award ciclamino points: 12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 points for the top 8 (like last year)
- The last intermediate sprint will award bonus seconds for GC: 3-2-1 seconds for the top 3 (also like last year)
- In between those two sprints, there will now be an Intergiro sprint which will award both ciclamino points and bonus seconds.
- The Intergiro sprint will also count for a separate Intergiro classification, which will use the same point scale used to award the ciclamino points, and will not award a jersey.

It also had Gavia + Bormio 2000
Yeah, but Bormio 2000 ended with Cunego winning the stage with an uphill sprint. But yeah, Honchar truly fought for his 2nd spot there and on the next day.

So the 2024 Giro d'Italia absolutely has on cards becoming a worse edition. Unless there's some sudden resurrection of Bardet or Thymen Arensman spectacularly saves Ineos Giro d'Italia in the last week (If Thomas has already abandoned only)!

Yeah, but Bormio 2000 ended with Cunego winning the stage with an uphill sprint. But yeah, Honchar truly fought for his 2nd spot there and on the next day.

So the 2024 Giro d'Italia absolutely has on cards becoming a worse edition. Unless there's some sudden resurrection of Bardet or Thymen Arensman spectacularly saves Ineos Giro d'Italia in the last week (If Thomas has already abandoned only)!
In terms of GC it's gonna be the worst but nobody will admit it cause a majority of fans like the rider that's sleepwalking it.

In terms of GC it's gonna be the worst but nobody will admit it cause a majority of fans like the rider that's sleepwalking it.
But isn't that the difference? Like if you re-watch Paris-Roubaix isolated from the Tour of Flanders, then it was a nice parade by Van der Poel. Steering and riding over the cobbles technically fine. Spectacular win. Plus there still was a race going on behind. It w

When Pogacar won the 2023 Amstel Gold Race it was the same. Spectacular win. But the race behind with Healy killing Pidcock. Lutsenko and Kroon fighting each others like 2 roosters.

The 2024 Giro d'Italia isn't going to be like Les Deux Alpes 1998. It probably ends up being a complete walk in the park for Teddy, just like his Strade Bianche win earlier this year. Dull!

Yep, In the 20+ years I've watched the Giro, this was without a doubt the worst route. Perhaps also the worst GT route overall in this period (maybe a couple of Vueltas in contention).
Arguably that Giro d'Italia even missed a 2nd TT to make Honchar win it. Which eventually at least would've been logical given the route.

I like Cunego though. But his grand tour pedigree was clearly overestimated in the zeros based on his 2004 Giro d'Italia victory!

Reactions: Sandisfan
Arguably that Giro d'Italia even missed a 2nd TT to make Honchar win it. Which eventually at least would've been logical given the route.

I like Cunego though. But his grand tour pedigree was clearly overestimated in the zeros based on his 2004 Giro d'Italia victory!
Cunego is forever carved into the CN forum mythos by the outrage it created when he lost Tour de Suisse to Levi Leechheimer in 2011.

Cunego is forever carved into the CN forum mythos by the outrage it created when he lost Tour de Suisse to Levi Leechheimer in 2011.
I was angry back then too. Frankly, Leipheimer fully deserved that 2011 Tour de Suisse victory. Levi even attacked up towards Malbun. That's like his only ever attack in big races. Apart from Plateau de Beille 2007 and those testing balloons for Contador at the 2008 Vuelta a Espana!

After scrutinizing the route in greater detail, I've identified two positive aspects:

• Several stages commence with climbs, a spectacle beloved by fans. However, I recognize that riders dislike this setup because it necessitates extensive warm-up routines before the race, posing potential challenges for some. This could notably affect certain GC contenders, although I doubt it would trouble Pogacar.
  • Although the surface appears relatively easy route, it may encourage numerous riders to adopt a more aggressive approach, giving them confidence for attacks. This contrasts with the defensive mindset often observed on more arduous routes. Additionally, I noticed the presence of numerous uncategorized hills that could catch many riders off guard.
Traditionally, demanding routes have led to defensive riding, disappointing fans. However, this time, we might be pleasantly surprised by the soft route. Let's hope for the best outcome for this Giro because the last 2 were really bad.