• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 740 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
sir fly said:
So what?
The stage was meant to be testing both for the riders and the equipment. It's all part of the racing.
And how does it affects the fact Nibali stormed to the Arenberg - showed extraordinary form?
What are the guarantees the excuse was genuine?

The same guarantees that Vincenzo's excuse is genuine about being in the wrong gear after being beaten to the line with a gap by Contador in the photo posted by LaFlo. Maybe he didn't want to give his opponent a psychological edge by admitting to weakness. Depending on your bias (if one exists) you believe who and what you choose.

LaFlorecita said:
I don't know Contador's exact Tour weight, but he was much skinnier than in previous years, and he was definitely also skinnier than Nibali, so the difference between them wasn't just 1 kg.

Slongo says AC was 63 kg in the Dauphine (I don't know why he would lie, so need to laugh it off cause it is Nibalis trainer). Nibali reached 63 kg when the tour started. Just by looking it is hard to judge weight, and if you don't have any sources your previous argument that Nibali did better because he is heavier is if not invalid, atleast rather weak.

LaFlorecita said:
Can we just stop this incredibly boring discussion? We've been over it before and we'll never agree. Surely there are other things to talk about.

Agreed. How about Contador going for the win in Vuelta. I don't buy the stage hunting stuff though it's a plausible excuse if he gets dropped by Froome and Quintana. It wasn't pleasant to see Purito struggling to win a stage and getting passed like he was standing still. I can't see Contador in the grupetto and if there is no pain he can ride into better form as the Vuelta progresses.

Vino attacks everyone said:
Slongo says AC was 63 kg in the Dauphine (I don't know why he would lie, so need to laugh it off cause it is Nibalis trainer). Nibali reached 63 kg when the tour started. Just by looking it is hard to judge weight, and if you don't have any sources your previous argument that Nibali did better because he is heavier is if not invalid, atleast rather weak.

I don't know why he would know.

How the hell would Slongo know AC's weight. He probably assumed this was AC at his usual weight, i.e. 62 at the start of the Tour and 1 kg heavier at the Dauphiné, but AC was skinnier than ever.

And I never said Nibali did better because he's heavier. I believe Contador would have beaten Nibali uphill because Nibali is heavier.

Rollthedice said:
Agreed. How about Contador going for the win in Vuelta. I don't buy the stage hunting stuff though it's a plausible excuse if he gets dropped by Froome and Quintana. It wasn't pleasant to see Purito struggling to win a stage and getting passed like he was standing still. I can't see Contador in the grupetto and if there is no pain he can ride into better form as the Vuelta progresses.

I think he'll go for the win, but I think he'd be better off really focussing on stage wins. Although not impossible, it'll be very hard for him to win the race overall. I'd say 99% impossible. But this is Alberto Contador we're talking about.

Weight is not something they keep secret really. Usually they use it to brag. Slongo surely does at, and so does alot of XC skiers. Probably many cyclists too. I have no doubt that De Jongh, Slongo etc knows the rivals match weights...

Cyclist are a lot like women, wearing tight pants, shaving legs and being obsessed with their weight:D

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
It would be an advantage to keep your weight secret.

How so? Wouldn't a rider be trying to get down to as low a weight as they healthfully can anyways? Why would knowing your rivals weight effect that?

edit: they list weight on the team websites as well, why would they do that if they want to keep it secret?

TRENDING THREADS