• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1210 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
LaFlorecita said:
Miburo said:
Thanks fleur, if by some miracle he gets his legs of 2014 again, he can win this tour. Of course that won't happen but just to show with these next 4 stages there's a lot of chances to gain time back.
I just hope he makes it a hell for Froome and Sky & maybe he can win a stage. Everything else is a bonus :)

Won't just be Sky though Flo, if he tries something from long range then he will have Movistar and BMC chasing hard protecting their podium interests. If he goes for a late attack I don't think Froome will mind losing the odd 30 seconds with the gap he has. Although like yourself I hope he tries.

Valverde will follow and TJ. Could they both survive the last climb and stay with Bertie in such a scenario ?

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

No_Balls said:
gazr99 said:
No_Balls said:
This obsession with adding Nairo in the Froome/Contador rivalry simply has to stop. Quintana is probably in a historical context one of the most overrated riders of all time. I simply cant remember the last time we had a cyclist who didnt have any obligations whatsoever to actually living up to all the praise and reputation he'd actually got. Simply the name Quintana seems to be enough for bringing home the GT's - not actually doing it on the road. But it doesnt stop there, with Quintana the overrating comes with a brand new twist to it: all his failures nullifies after each failed attempt with restored reputation and legacy intact. Yes, you heard that right, he doesnt need to perform in order of still being recognised in the same breath as multiple GT-winners. And, as if that wasnt enough, despite all of his failures he is in some cases recognised as the better rider despite being on the same page (or worse) over the cycle of a season.

Contador, by some assumed of doing a low-key season despite winning the Giro weeks ago, a feat Quintana years ago are still building his reputation on, fails in the Tour and are considered "finished", "old", "past his prime", while Quintana once again fails in the one single race he builds his every season on and we will hear things like "the weather" or the favorite excuse "room for improvent". As if his cheerleaders have frozen in a paralell dimension outside time and space where Quintana doesnt age waiting for the big jump in performance that has been put on hold.

Urban Dictionary: Overrated.

Anything that is given too much credit and hype.

See:
Ford Mustang
Notorious B.I.G.
Vince Carter
Dragonball Z
Myspace
Nairo Quintana

What a troll post. I'm not aware of many saying Contador is old and past it this year, they have simply said the Giro has taken its toll.

Quintana has gained his reputation from winning the Giro last year, and coming runner up in his first Tour the year before and he's only just turned 25. He's won a few stage races in between as well don't forget.

So chill out

For the first part: this is basically what (from most of his critics) happens everytime in this thread when/if Contador doesnt attack or doesnt win a stage/GT. What happens in the Nairo-thread i am not aware since i am seldom there but i assume Ryo and crew hails him as better then Bahamontes after doing the exact same thing Contador is being criticised for in this Tour: mostly sitting in the pack and not winning. Contador has ridden and won a Giro. What is Quintanas excuse?

Second or third doesnt take you places. Contador by the time of 25 had won three GT's. Just sayin.

I haven't really seen much of that thread, I was simply arguing the massive over exaggeration about Quintana saying how overrated he is

I'm not saying Quintana is going to be the greatest GT rider might not even eclipse Contador but he is the only person who can realistically beat Froome at this year's Tour.

And for your last point by the time they both turned 25 they had won 1 GT each, Contador won two whilst he was 25

gazr99 said:
No_Balls said:
gazr99 said:
No_Balls said:
This obsession with adding Nairo in the Froome/Contador rivalry simply has to stop. Quintana is probably in a historical context one of the most overrated riders of all time. I simply cant remember the last time we had a cyclist who didnt have any obligations whatsoever to actually living up to all the praise and reputation he'd actually got. Simply the name Quintana seems to be enough for bringing home the GT's - not actually doing it on the road. But it doesnt stop there, with Quintana the overrating comes with a brand new twist to it: all his failures nullifies after each failed attempt with restored reputation and legacy intact. Yes, you heard that right, he doesnt need to perform in order of still being recognised in the same breath as multiple GT-winners. And, as if that wasnt enough, despite all of his failures he is in some cases recognised as the better rider despite being on the same page (or worse) over the cycle of a season.

Contador, by some assumed of doing a low-key season despite winning the Giro weeks ago, a feat Quintana years ago are still building his reputation on, fails in the Tour and are considered "finished", "old", "past his prime", while Quintana once again fails in the one single race he builds his every season on and we will hear things like "the weather" or the favorite excuse "room for improvent". As if his cheerleaders have frozen in a paralell dimension outside time and space where Quintana doesnt age waiting for the big jump in performance that has been put on hold.

See:
Ford Mustang
Notorious B.I.G.
Vince Carter
Dragonball Z
Myspace
Nairo Quintana

What a troll post. I'm not aware of many saying Contador is old and past it this year, they have simply said the Giro has taken its toll.

Quintana has gained his reputation from winning the Giro last year, and coming runner up in his first Tour the year before and he's only just turned 25. He's won a few stage races in between as well don't forget.

So chill out

For the first part: this is basically what (from most of his critics) happens everytime in this thread when/if Contador doesnt attack or doesnt win a stage/GT. What happens in the Nairo-thread i am not aware since i am seldom there but i assume Ryo and crew hails him as better then Bahamontes after doing the exact same thing Contador is being criticised for in this Tour: mostly sitting in the pack and not winning. Contador has ridden and won a Giro. What is Quintanas excuse?

Second or third doesnt take you places. Contador by the time of 25 had won three GT's. Just sayin.

I haven't really seen much of that thread, I was simply arguing the massive over exaggeration about Quintana saying how overrated he is

I'm not saying Quintana is going to be the greatest GT rider might not even eclipse Contador but he is the only person who can realistically beat Froome at this year's Tour.

And for your last point by the time they both turned 25 they had won 1 GT each, Contador won two whilst he was 25

But I doubt Quintana will win two gt's while he is 25. Hard to top the Great One. :p

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

Publicus said:
Miburo said:
Gonna make some happy, nibali confirmed on sporza he'll work together with contador to attack froome :)

Maybe he shouldn't announce it on Sporza. :eek:

Meh it's obvious anyways, and he said it more as a possibility i think. Translation was rather eh tbh

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Nibali and Contador working together....nothing makes me happier :cool:

They sort of did that already on stage 16. Nibali's attack came right after Contador's. Contador attacked after both Bardet and Barguil had. Thomas had dropped behind Froome after Contador's attack. Nibs took his chance the moment that energy was spent catching Contador. Nibali over 8 minutes behind Froome - no one bothered to chase.

Not a big chance of that working again is there. They'll need to be on alert for some different type of opportunity. The good news is that both Contador and Nibali looked good on stage 16. I just hope Contador and Nibali won't ride to protect their top ten places. Contador won't do that will he? Quintana probably won't risk his 2nd place and Teejay will ride to protect his podium spot. Gesink rides to protect his top 10 spot. Valverde won't help Contador. Bardet and Barguil are wilcards and will attack. So, all that probably is enough incentive for me to wake up early and watch stage 17.

Any chance of Quintana and Valverde riding actively to try and beat Thomas and Froome? Or are they content to have 2nd and 4th? It's tight between Valverde and Contador - 20 seconds.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
If by some miracle, actually we need 2 miracles both of them are in this shape, this last week will be 10 times better than the last week of tour 2011 :D

vincenzo-nibali-alberto-contador-tour-de-france-stage-eight_3171766.jpg

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
well, we might get what we wish for. Rain, rain please. Fuente De might be in the works. Even though w/o air conditioning room, he seems got nothing to loose. Bring it on Contador!!!

“I want to take any opportunity from now to the finish. My objective when I started this Tour was only the victory but I know that some riders, especially one, is very strong at this moment. At the moment, I am not happy with the podium but having done the Giro, I look at my position in a different way

"My legs are turning better than they were in the first Pyrenean stage. I feel good now. We will see what happens. I will react depending on several factors, such as the weather and my rivals.

"It's a tough race, it's complicated. But I can assure you I'm very motivated for this last week. The Tour is not over.”

…or this is just to buid up fans' hype :D

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site

No_Balls said:

See:
Ford Mustang
Notorious B.I.G.
Vince Carter
Dragonball Z
Myspace
Nairo Quintana

No_Balls, you forgot:

LeBron James (horrible defender, selfish isolation player, lazy rebounder)
Corvettes
The F-35 Joint Strikefighter
Russell Wilson (Seahawks)
Colin Kaepernick (49ers)
Lobster (anything you have to dunk in butter....)
Champagne (red wine rocks)
Florida (I live in California - I know the truth)
Waikiki (go to the Big Island or Kaua'i instead)
Mau'i (go to the Big Island or Kaua'i instead)
Maria Sharapova (look closely at her facial features...not that great).

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site

mr. tibbs said:
Ataraxus said:
I'm pretty sure fanboys have excuses for all of the 4 cases Landa dropped him. Landa has an excuse for the stage into Verbania as well (crash before the climb).
But 4-1 excuse ratio is still against Contador in the Giro climbing debate. As is the time taken in the mountains, stage wins, one on one mountain battles etc.

I don't understand this logic. Contador did what he needed to do to win the Giro. This doesn't include sweeping up every MTF and constantly shelling everyone else when the road turns up. It also doesn't include winning every sprint and getting into every breakaway. Landa climbed well, but did not do what was necessary to win the Giro.

I'm confused about what point you're trying to make. Do you even remember, or are you just belaboring this because it's the Internet?

I've been watching Contador for 8 years now, Mr. Tibbs. Contador hung on for dear life at the Giro, just as he did at the 2012 Vuelta, the 2008 Giro, and the 2010 TDF. He lost the 2007 TDF (Rasmussen), until he didn't.

Had the Giro gone 1 or at most 2 more mountaintop finishes, Contador would have finished 3rd.

All of the above, regarding Contador's ability to hang on for dear life, is the highest testament to his character and championship verve. I doubt Armstrong could have won like Contador can when Contador is not at his best and/or fatigued; the 2003 TDF brought Armstrong close to panic.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

ninjadriver said:
No_Balls said:

See:
Ford Mustang
Notorious B.I.G.
Vince Carter
Dragonball Z
Myspace
Nairo Quintana

No_Balls, you forgot:

Corvettes
Colin Kaepernick (49ers)
Now that's some great trolling, sprinkling losers like Kaepernick and Wilson in there with great champions like LeBron and Sharapova.

ninjadriver said:
mr. tibbs said:
Ataraxus said:
I'm pretty sure fanboys have excuses for all of the 4 cases Landa dropped him. Landa has an excuse for the stage into Verbania as well (crash before the climb).
But 4-1 excuse ratio is still against Contador in the Giro climbing debate. As is the time taken in the mountains, stage wins, one on one mountain battles etc.

I don't understand this logic. Contador did what he needed to do to win the Giro. This doesn't include sweeping up every MTF and constantly shelling everyone else when the road turns up. It also doesn't include winning every sprint and getting into every breakaway. Landa climbed well, but did not do what was necessary to win the Giro.

I'm confused about what point you're trying to make. Do you even remember, or are you just belaboring this because it's the Internet?

I've been watching Contador for 8 years now, Mr. Tibbs. Contador hung on for dear life at the Giro, just as he did at the 2012 Vuelta, the 2008 Giro, and the 2010 TDF. He lost the 2007 TDF (Rasmussen), until he didn't.

Had the Giro gone 1 or at most 2 more mountaintop finishes, Contador would have finished 3rd.

All of the above, regarding Contador's ability to hang on for dear life, is the highest testament to his character and championship verve. I doubt Armstrong could have won like Contador can when Contador is not at his best and/or fatigued; the 2003 TDF brought Armstrong close to panic.

But alas the Tour is just 21 days! AC won. Over and done.

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site

Jspear said:
gazr99 said:
No_Balls said:
gazr99 said:
No_Balls said:

See:
Ford Mustang
Notorious B.I.G.
Vince Carter
Dragonball Z
Myspace
Nairo Quintana

So chill out

But I doubt Quintana will win two gt's while he is 25. Hard to top the Great One. :p

That's how the despicable and arrogant Nairo worshippers are. They got the same talking points. They're going to form the Nairo church cult: The legend of the living God Nairo. SarcasmEnd();

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I think something will happen today. In the interviews Contador plays down his chances, while at same time, he looks energized. Whole team will support him today. Mick Rogers and Sagan to go in breakaway to support him later. This stage has Contador all written over it.

Ataraxus said:
Amazinmets87 said:
Contador would still be in contention to win the tour if Froome wasn't in the race, just as in 2013. People seem to forget that Contador started the final competitively raced stage in 2nd. Ive as always wondered how that stage would have unfolded had he been in yellow.

You can't possibly know that.
If Froome wasn't in the race Quintana would have raced differently.

The statement is that he would be in contention for first place. That really isn't a radical belief considering Quintana's/Movistar's strategy was is to limit the losses in the first week and make the mountains that come in weeks 2 and 3 their point of emphasis. With Nibali having less than stellar form going into the start of the Tour, who else is there to threaten Contador's chances of fighting for the top spot on the podium other than maybe Valverde who is handicapped by having Quintana as Movistar's chosen one?

SeriousSam said:
ninjadriver said:
No_Balls said:

See:
Ford Mustang
Notorious B.I.G.
Vince Carter
Dragonball Z
Myspace
Nairo Quintana

No_Balls, you forgot:

Corvettes
Colin Kaepernick (49ers)
Now that's some great trolling, sprinkling losers like Kaepernick and Wilson in there with great champions like LeBron and Sharapova.

How is Russell Wilson a loser?

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

ray j willings said:
Ataraxus said:
ray j willings said:
Ataraxus said:
Amazinmets87 said:
Contador would still be in contention to win the tour if Froome wasn't in the race, just as in 2013. People seem to forget that Contador started the final competitively raced stage in 2nd. Ive as always wondered how that stage would have unfolded had he been in yellow.

if Bertie can match Froome and beat him like 2014, he's not going to have much trouble with Quintana.
He just beat Quintana before the tour. I think that race showed us where Quintana's form is.
Quintana cannot race. He just hopes he his the strongest on the last climb.

That race showed us nothing. Except the fact that Contador is a better descender than Quintana(which we already knew).
He doesn't hope. He attacks plenty of times. If Froome hadn't been in the race, ceteris paribus, the stage into PdB would have developed differently.

He could not drop or pass Contador before Bertie took off downhill.

Yeah Porte would have dropped him and won instead :D

Please, please raise the quality of your arguments. Dropping Bertie uphill was not his target in Route du Sud. It became such in the TDF and we all saw what happened.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

mr. tibbs said:
Ataraxus said:

Read my post together with the 4-5 posts above to understand the flow of arguments and logic.
This message in itself was a reply to Flo previous post, who doesn't want to follow the traditional quote and reply stream (she might have her own reasons)

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

Angliru said:
Ataraxus said:
Amazinmets87 said:

The statement is that he would be in contention for first place. That really isn't a radical belief considering Quintana's/Movistar's strategy was is to limit the losses in the first week and make the mountains that come in weeks 2 and 3 their point of emphasis. With Nibali having less than stellar form going into the start of the Tour, who else is there to threaten Contador's chances of fighting for the top spot on the podium other than maybe Valverde who is handicapped by having Quintana as Movistar's chosen one?

He is still in contention for the first place now so why the need to emphasize Froome being out of the race. Any bad day/misfortune happening to Froome and Quintana may leapfrog Contador to the leader's jersey. Odds for such an event (Contador in Leaders jersey) to occur would have been higher with Froome out ofc. but the gaps between Quintana (and possibly Valverde) and Contador would not have been as they are today IMO. They would have been bigger I think.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Ataraxus said:
ray j willings said:
Ataraxus said:
Amazinmets87 said:

if Bertie can match Froome and beat him like 2014, he's not going to have much trouble with Quintana.
He just beat Quintana before the tour. I think that race showed us where Quintana's form is.
Quintana cannot race. He just hopes he his the strongest on the last climb.

That race showed us nothing. Except the fact that Contador is a better descender than Quintana(which we already knew).
He doesn't hope. He attacks plenty of times. If Froome hadn't been in the race, ceteris paribus, the stage into PdB would have developed differently.

He could not drop or pass Contador before Bertie took off downhill.

Yeah Porte would have dropped him and won instead :D[/quote]

Please, please raise the quality of your arguments. Dropping Bertie uphill was not his target in Route du Sud. It became such in the TDF and we all saw what happened.[/quote]

Quintana has focused only for the tour, He certainly could have stretched his legs against Bertie at Route du Sud.
Instead he sucked Berties wheel and never looked like dropping Bertie.
You talk about quality of posts try using facts instead of assumptions.

And like I said If Froome was not there then Quintana would still have got beat by Porte ...you have not mentioned that Fact?

That is the next line of defense in the empire of capacities that Quintana is supposed to bring to the table: "He didnt showed it", "Could if he wanted to", "Didnt care". When Quintana doesnt do anything during a race (being too busy wheelsucking) the excuse machine just prints out: "waiting for the right moment", "looks good", "scaringly comfortable". The same mistake was made during last Vuelta where he looked "scaringly good" under the first real uphill-test before Valverdes pace proved too much and Quintana was dropped. That day we learned that he works only if it is raining, the altitude are a bit higher and the temperature a little bit cooler. Why of course nothing was learned from that obstacle, his participation nullified and if he only didnt wheelsuck Alberto would have smashed in Route du Sud.

And while we speak "Angliru" comes with information that this guy is supposed to be better uphill then Indurain and not considered overrated. LOL. Guy is the "o" in the word.

Alberto Contador said prior to the start this morning: "I feel better than in 2013. I feel better and better each day. I came to the Tour for winning, not for making the top 5. My goal remains unchanged. The peloton is tired. There'll be opportunities. I intend to make the best of them.

If it'll rain.... :cool:

TRENDING THREADS