• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"another interesting piece I found on the UCI and president Pat McQuaid " Thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Sean has long been part of Pat's extended "cycling family". With a voice and content contribution as boring as his one doesn't get the number one TV commentating job (Eurosport) any other way.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
mattghg said:
Just when you think it can't get any worse, it does.

The sad thing is that it's been like this for a long time. It's just that some of us find out about the complex complicity later than others.

I am in awe of the old hands here. DirtyWorks for one and many more. Still prepared to educate the newbs, without a hint of condescending, still prepared to post actively whilst having seen it all for so long. A bit like a minor holocaust story never to be forgotten by the newer generations. The slow death of a great sport, and with it sport in general.

Basecase said:

As a refresher, as I understand the well-worn tradition is CI would elect Pat because that is his national federation. CI is not a gatekeeper though. Practically any other federation could elect Pat. I'd be very surprised if tradition had to be broken.

Can anyone tell me if Ireland's federation is a democratic organization? I'm familiar with the American federation and it is not democratic. Members have no power or influence over the few senior management that can vote.

MCquaid throws Hein under the bus

See no doping, hear no doping, speak no doping Pat has finally done it:

"...(Hein's) decisions were – and this is between you and me – any decisions he made in a certain period to do with doping and so forth… It certainly wasn’t that he was pro-doping or encouraging doping, but he would always protect the sport"

In other words, if Hein personally interpreted that doping was required to protect the sport, then he would encourage it.

No surprise in that statement, other than it comes from Pat.

Dave.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
"...(Hein's) decisions were – and this is between you and me – any decisions he made in a certain period to do with doping and so forth… It certainly wasn’t that he was pro-doping or encouraging doping, but he would always protect the sport"

This is just so ridiculous. He is admitting Hein knew doping was going on and actively did nothing about it.

I bet the phonecall from Hein was fun. "Pat, what the **** have you said now?"

Again he is shown to be a massive liar.

AcademyCC said:

Again he is shown to be a massive liar.

I agree lying is bad, but lots of leaders in the world get away with it (for a while, anyway)

But this man is so INCOMPETENT!!!:mad:

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
jackwolf said:
How does one actively do nothing? :)

He knew about doping and chose to do nothing about it. Instead of actively doing something he actively did nothing.

A good question lol. Hopefully you get what I mean.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
coinneach said:
I agree lying is bad, but lots of leaders in the world get away with it (for a while, anyway)

But this man is so INCOMPETENT!!!:mad:

Most leaders get away with it publicly a few times maybe but Pat has been caught out so many times its beyond a joke.

Somehow he rode the storm after Armstrong and will probably get re-elected.

Its just really sad now.

D-Queued said:
See no doping, hear no doping, speak no doping Pat has finally done it:

In other words, if Hein personally interpreted that doping was required to protect the sport, then he would encourage it.

No surprise in that statement, other than it comes from Pat.

Dave.

A strange interpretation. Fat Pat is saying that Hein would ignore a doping problem if it benefited cycling's image. i.e. no positives for Armstrong as that would be "bad for cycling".

AcademyCC said:
He knew about doping and chose to do nothing about it. Instead of actively doing something he actively did nothing.

Which is a complete lie anyway. Verbruggen was demanding the French relax their anti-doping laws in writing in order to be considered for Paris hosting a Summer Games. The most charitable explanation is he did nothing because the doped results "grew" the sport. That's being charitable to Hein.

There were so many lies in that quote it's amazing. I mean that. Remarkable.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
He could stop too with the persistent comments that Wiggins and Cav are examples to follow. In his position of authority he shouldn't be mentioning any rider in this regards and infact should be keep an opening mind on everything.

Race Radio said:

since you were a professional cyclist yourself, do you think that the Armstrong controversy is a deterrent for young riders?

No, I don’t think so. There are plenty of role models for the young cyclists of today. Look at Mark Cavendish, the Australian Richie Porte and Bradley Wiggins. It’s a beautiful sport and there’s no reason why any young cyclist shouldn’t come into it now.

I guess Pat means that they are role models for people with limited talent, who wants to do everything to become successful.
:D:D

Samson777 said:

since you were a professional cyclist yourself, do you think that the Armstrong controversy is a deterrent for young riders?

No, I don’t think so. There are plenty of role models for the young cyclists of today. Look at Mark Cavendish, the Australian Richie Porte and Bradley Wiggins. It’s a beautiful sport and there’s no reason why any young cyclist shouldn’t come into it now.

I guess Pat means that they are role models for people with limited talent, who wants to do everything to become successful.

I think he means English speakers who ride for Sky. Everyone else must be a doper.

Race Radio said:
We would love to have a World Tour race here, which costs a lot of money. So if the government or commercial companies were interested in assisting the organisation of such an event, then we would be very keen to work with them on that.

Sell! Sell! Sell! The way he sets it up is awesome too. Give us lots of money and we promise we'll set up a double-plus good stuff that you have no control over. At all. Just give us the money.

The best terrorists and Ponzi scheme masters should be humbled around the guy. He'd do great on the business side in Hollywood.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Samson777 said:

He must be getting old. Forgot to mention the 2013 tour winner, Chris Froome